Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 9:12:04 PM EDT
Nuclear Explosion Suspected at Epicenter of the Sichuan Earthquake

By Wu Weilin
Epoch Times Staff
Jun 03, 2008

An unnamed expert believes that a nuclear explosion caused the recent 8.0 magnitude Sichuan earthquake in China, where three weeks after the catastrophe the death toll has reached 69,000 plus.

Overseas Chinese website Boxun News reported that the expert confirmed there was a nuclear explosion near the epicenter, based on witness reports and the discovery of concrete rubble believed to have come from an underground military installation.

Mr. He, a local resident, stated that when the earthquake occurred on May 12, people saw something erupt from the top of a mountain next to the valley, "It looked like toothpaste being squeezed out," said He. "No, it wasn't [magma]. It was these concrete pieces. The eruption lasted about three minutes."

According to a China News Services (CNS) report on May 31, 2008, paramedics from People's Liberation Army (PLA) hospitals and psychologists from Beijing onsite May 23 found concrete debris at the bottom of a valley near the epicenter. The half-mile-wide valley was covered with debris 10 - 20 inches thick, covering the valley floor for almost 1.5 miles.

No major construction was occurring in the area at the time of the earthquake.

The thickness of the concrete pieces seemed to match that used in China's underground military bases, according to Boxun's expert. He explained that while there are documented cases that earthquakes cause volcanic eruptions, there are no accounts of eruptions ejecting concrete.

Based on the CNS report and timing of the eruption at the scene, there seemed to be no evidence of natural volcanic activity. The expert stated he was certain a nuclear weapon explosion shattered the underground concrete structures, hurling debris into the air.

At least one of China's nuclear military bases is located in Mianyang City, Sichuan, near the epicenter.

Chinese Internet surfers commented that right after the quake military Special Forces blocked traffic heading toward the epicenter on the mountain, and men in white chemical protective clothing in military vehicles were also spotted driving toward the mountain. Rescue personnel near the epicenter were all military, according to witnesses.

The expert believes the nuclear explosion was not confined to the underground test area and has caused radiation contamination, stating that in a call to Beijing he recommended authorities accept help from other countries, seal the area, find and provide help to those who had been exposed to contamination during the rescue work, and take emergency measures to prevent water contamination.

International Relief Teams Delayed

After the Sichuan earthquake took place, Beijing did not allow international relief groups to begin rescue efforts until 72 hours later, missing the most crucial window for saving lives.

There are also accounts of predictions of the earthquake before it took place. Local government officials in Aba District openly stated the predictions were 'rumors.'

As of Monday, the toll from the earthquake stands at 69,019 dead, 373,573 injured, and 18,627 still missing, according to China's state run media.

Boxun News Network, the source for this story, describes itself as "...an open platform for people to speak out. Since Boxun was founded in 2000, it has been the #1 online Chinese news service supported by thousands of citizen journalists."

Note - It is not clear at this time whether reports claim the nuclear explosion triggered the earthquake, or the earthquake triggered the explosion. Due to the serious nature of either scenario, The Epoch Times will continue to monitor and investigate these accounts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Can a nuclear explosion even cause an earthquake?  I thought that only happened in that James Bond movie with Christopher Walken... or was it Superman?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was project HAARP.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
An unnamed expert believes that a nuclear explosion caused the recent 8.0 magnitude Sichuan earthquake

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
In with the tin!  

I'm guessing the "expert" works of Halliburton and this is a cover up story for their Earthquake Machine®.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:19:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The source is the newspaper of the Falun Gong, who happen to actually be a bunch of batshit nutcases.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can a nuclear explosion even cause an earthquake?  ..

can an earthquake cause a nuclear explosion???
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Didn't even get past 'unnamed expert'

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Halliburton has nukes?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If their nukes (and this is asking a lot of the Chinese) are even half as safe as ours, no way in hell.

My bet is the guys in the chem suits were there to clean up some chemicals.  If there was a nuke, our gubment would probably know about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]

&

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If their nukes (and this is asking a lot of the Chinese) are even half as safe as ours, no way in hell.

My bet is the guys in the chem suits were there to clean up some chemicals.  If there was a nuke, our gubment would probably know about it.

Well, didn't the Chinese say something like 30 sources of radiation were buried under rubble? Possibly a cover if anybody detected high radiation?

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The source is the newspaper of the Falun Gong, who happen to actually be a bunch of batshit nutcases.

Careful there Charlie.  We have a soft spot for most people a govt. oppresses.

Here, Branch Davidians.  Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints.

In China?  Tibetians, Falun Gong, Christians...

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would also - guessing - be obvious from the earthquake "signature."  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, didn't the Chinese say something like 30 sources of radiation were buried under rubble? Possibly a cover if anybody detected high radiation?

Differentiating radiation from Medical and Industrial sources (vs. anything nuke) is a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Can a nuclear explosion even cause an earthquake?  I thought that only happened in that James Bond movie with Christopher Walken... or was it Superman?

Yes nuclear explosions can cause earthquakes.

That being said, the story is bs.  There would've been radiological emissions which would've been detected by now.

Also edited to add...quakes caused by nukes don't have aftershocks days afterwards.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:31:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Davidans were also batshit nutcases.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I did see some pics of Chinese soldiers wearing masks...

dust masks
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:33:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can have radioactive sources there, but no nuke explosion.  The Chinese aren't known for their ability to keep their country clean from pollution.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I would think an 8.0 earthquake is well beyond the size of any nuclear device ever tested.  The amount of energy released in such large size quakes is enormous.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hell yea they would, and so would every other nation keeping an eye such things.

you cant exactly hide a nuke blast.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Halliburton has nukes?

NO......an earthquake machine.

Get cereal will ya?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I would think an 8.0 earthquake is well beyond the size of any nuclear device ever tested.  The amount of energy released in such large size quakes is enormous.

+1
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#25]
What kind of expert?  Tsar Bomba, the biggest nuclear detonation to date, was 50 Megatons and hit 5.0 on the Richter scale.

Nukes just aren't built that big anymore because it is inefficient, normally up to 500 kilotons is the largest you'll see anymore on a missile warhead.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The Water Works Ministry was contemplating diverting a river on the Tibetan plateau some 10 miles underground to a different river bed some years ago.  Who knows?  Read my next book.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What kind of expert?  Tsar Bomba, the biggest nuclear detonation to date, was 50 Megatons and hit 5.0 on the Richter scale.

Nukes just aren't built that big anymore because it is inefficient, normally up to 500 kilotons is the largest you'll see anymore on a missile warhead.

The Russian device was detonated at an altitude of several kilometers and still managed to crank out a 5.0.

A device placed at a high-stress point (such as the Juan de Fuca Plate off the coast of Oregon) could easily be leveraged into a much higher geological yield than just the effects of the device itself.

That being said, Sichuan was not a nuke.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:45:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Branch Davidians were child murderers, the fundamentalist LDS are child rapists.

I don't have a soft spot for either of them.

I don't know a whole lot about the activities of the falun gong, but they are definitely a little loopy with their crazy pronouncements and 'news.'

The Tibetans et al have my full sympathy, and i doubt the falun gong deserves the shit they get from the chicoms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top