Posted: 6/15/2005 6:53:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
16 pieces of flair is the minimum.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
They do kinda look like C3PO's in the sunlight with all that bling.    Maybe it's just an Army thing.

Good story though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 5:12:00 AM EDT
[#4]
good story 82nd!

I wanted the EIB also, could almost taste it. I completed 75% of all the testing and I screwed up during the PT part. (no matter how hard I tried, I just could not max the push ups) It was a good learning experiance.

I got to play with ALL the Infantry toys we never saw during that. That was the first time I got to really handle the .50 cal.

I always respected the EIB winners. oh well, one of those "woulda, shoulda, coulda things.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn Marines!  

All in good fun Trooper. Kudos on the EIB.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 7:56:19 AM EDT
[#6]
takes more to earn the EIB than the CIB
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both, but usually in EIB stakes no one is shooting live ammo at you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]

My squad leader is a former Ranger, Airborne, Air-Assault, and Pathfinder qualified.  He is currently a SWAT and Scuba deputy with the local SO.  Of all that, he is far and away most proud of his EIB.  He said it was the most difficult of all to earn.

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My squad leader is a former Ranger, Airborne, Air-Assault, and Pathfinder qualified.  He is currently a SWAT and Scuba deputy with the local SO.  Of all that, he is far and away most proud of his EIB.  He said it was the most difficult of all to earn.

EIB harder than getting his Ranger Tab? That dude is smoking crack on the job

Getting my EIB was a cakewalk compared to earning my Ranger Tab
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#10]

BTW, I did get the EIB ("EIV" after it was punched into my chest during the awards ceremony). I was one of the very few PV1s walking around with Jumpwings and an EIB. I was pretty damn proud.

Everyone outside you unit was probably thinking you had seen some UCMJ action and had lost rank lol
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn Marines!  

You can wear more!  We want you to express yourself.  

You see, 82nd... any old Division can invade a foreign country.  But we send the 82nd for the flair, for the attitude.  

ETA:  Paratroopers?!?! FLAIR?!?!?!?!    GENIUS!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You see, 82nd... any old Division can invade a foreign country.  But we send the 82nd for the flair, for the attitude.  

Pure Forum GOLD!
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Since the EIB is the basis of the CIB, the badge. For those that don't know an EIB isa silver rifle insignia with a blue background, CIB add a silver wreath to that. I always thought that soldiers that had earned EIB's and CIB's should have a design that indicates BOTH awards. Perhaps changing the rifle to gold on the CIB/EIB award.

(Did I describe it correctly?)
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Since the EIB is the basis of the CIB, the badge. For those that don't know an EIB isa silver rifle insignia with a blue background, CIB add a silver wreath to that. I always thought that soldiers that had earned EIB's and CIB's should have a design that indicates BOTH awards. Perhaps changing the rifle to gold on the CIB/EIB award.

that would make sense...and a good idea
and since it is the .mil it will never happen
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would make sense...and a good idea
and since it is the .mil it will never happen

I always though the EIB showed more about the individual.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pure Forum GOLD!

hehehehehehheheh
Link Posted: 6/19/2005 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here ya go!!!

Link Posted: 6/19/2005 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#18]
The EIB is by far the badge/medal I'm most proud of. When it was over I was absolutely done , toast ! I had to work so hard to get it , one mistake and your out. Only three of us in my platoon got it, and by the way we were all PFC's . All the NCO's failed the call for fire phase.

Another phase that got alot of squared away guys was the night nav and the range estimation.

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 1:33:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Its funny how different peoples EIB testing goes.  WHen I did it back in october it was fucked up beyond belief.

At the station for the anit-tank mine (m21 I think?), the graders were complete assholes.  They were both NCO's from the same company... everyone from there company got a first time go.  65% of my company got at least one no go at that station...  I double no-go'ed it If I had known better at the time I would have protested... because I truly got hosed... oh well.  All the companies in the battalion has similar no-go rates at the station.

Then there was the medical station... we all got free go's without even testing because we were cool with the medics.  THis happened at a few stations.... people hooking up there friends.

I used to hold the EIB pretty high... not anymore.  My experience is that it wasn't what you know, but who you know.  Yours may be different
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Congats bro!

In 4 years I missed my EIB everytime - and everytime it was one of the last stations.  Gawd did I ever want that!  I think the majority of my no-gos were on the PT test, but I can't even remember.  I pushed and sat so damn hard for those four years in the hopes of being awarded my PT badge, but my body wouldn't gain any damn weight.  

Being in this forum makes me wish I could go back in
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Then there was the medical station... we all got free go's without even testing because we were cool with the medics.  THis happened at a few stations.... people hooking up there friends.

Sure as hell was not me, I got F'd on my EFMB by a ditchdigger (Eng) that was to busy trying be be a hardon.

He did not make it in  my Combat Lifetaker class, and I did not even have to mess with him...He was just a dickhead.

Yup Im still bitter..
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

EIB harder than getting his Ranger Tab? That dude is smoking crack on the job

Getting my EIB was a cakewalk compared to earning my Ranger Tab

Rangers are proud of their tabs..... I always said that if I wanted a "short" tab I'd cut my long one in half!
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I was cruising through EIB testing until night land nav. My first point paralleled a major road, so to save time I just followed it. Started checking out the area where the point should have been and couldn't for the life of me find it. Went 100 meters both ways on the azimuth with no luck. I figured I was screwed since I couldn't really find a point to navigate from.

Well I decided to shoot an azimuth from where I was standing to my second point. It led right across an open field to an intersection on the far side where I knew there was a point. The distance seemed about right so I took off. Got there and shot an azimuth for the third point and hit it with ease. Walked back in, handed in my paper and got a strange look from the grader. Seems I was the only one so far to miss their first point but hit the last two. Good to go.

After that even the road march was easy. It started raining during the first mile and then let up. My ruck stayed dry for the most part so it didn't add too much weight but my clothes stuck to me and my socks clung to my feet. No monkey butt or hot spots on my feet, it was great.

yakrat101
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine as a PFC. That award is certainly not an easy one. I wanted it so bad becasue my unit didnt get CIBs from Iraq. Even though we had one KIA and 4 wounded in my unit.

I was one of 8 out of 700+ who tried for the EIB. I figured if I ever broke my legs on a jump and got sent to leg land; I would at least show I been there done that as infantry.

EIB is certainly one attention to detail test.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Great story.

It took me 2 trys to get my EIB.

That damn fight position was kicking my ass the first time.

The second time was a breeze after passing the grenade station.

FREE
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine back in '84 as a PFC. By the time the orders were cut I was an E-2. But I was an E-2 with attitude and an EIB. '85 &'86, I was EIB Cadre for 1st Brigade. Worked the Ma Duece Station.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I got the EFMB which is the equivalent for medics. The testing was held behind the 82nd NCO club which later became Division Headquarters. This was across Gruber Rd. from the barracks. This was done during & after a freak spring snow storm which caused a lot of guys to quit. I had a lot of experience with snow so it was ok for me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Got mine back in '84 as a PFC. By the time the orders were cut I was an E-2. But I was an E-2 with attitude and an EIB. '85 &'86, I was EIB Cadre for 1st Brigade. Worked the Ma Duece Station.

Being EIB cadre is a great motivator to get it. I remember my team leader telling me this. "Look XXXXXX if you get the EIB, you can do likle me next year and chill during the EIB cycle." I ran land nav lanes the nex year and had a blast scaring the hell out of  folks who didnt even try. I was amazed at how many folks dont like being alone in the woods at night. We let other units pout their troops through if they wanted too. Some spoons , medics, mechs ands commo guys would always give it a go just to the education.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hey 504!

In '85 I worked 1st Brigade EIB Cadre, Ma Deuce Station. Ended up doing headspace and timing most of the time. Was SGT, 2/508 at the time.

Small world- Good to see ya here.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
takes more to earn the EIB than the CIB hr

I guess you have both to make a statment like that?
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Any of you arfcommers know who the first soldier to recieve the "EIB" was
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Tech Sgt Walter Bull - A Company, 399th IR, 100th ID
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I knew.  It'd be an interesting tid bit of info.

Technical Sergeant Walter Bull of Company A, 399th Infantry Regiment, 100th Infantry Division. It was awarded at Ft. Bragg on March 29, 1944, by Lt. Gen. Leslie J. HcNair, Commander cf U.S. Army Ground Forces.

A permanent marker is located at the Fort commemorating the March 29, 1944 event of the award of the first Expert Infantry man Badge.

Whenever possible the awards are made at ceremonies with combat veterans of the 100th Infantry Division of WWII attending. This is done at Ft. Bragg and Ft. Jackson.

If you earned one then you are dammed well proud of it!

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:01:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure as hell was not me, I got F'd on my EFMB by a ditchdigger (Eng) that was to busy trying be be a hardon.

He did not make it in  my Combat Lifetaker class, and I did not even have to mess with him...He was just a dickhead.

Yup Im still bitter..

I failed mine on the first day of eval week.  It was the CPR station staffed by personnel from my unit.  So I start the station, with NCOs I work with at the hospital and the video camera running and finish my 4 sets of compressions and breaths, clearly counting out 14 compressions in each set.  It dawned on me that I'd only done 14 compressions per set after I'd made it clear I was done with the task.

Oh well.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I was an E-1 when I went through EIB testing.  cruised through most of it.  One of the last stations was the call for fire station.  The 11 charlies were running that station.  I still to this day can't understand how got the coordinates messed up.  double no-go.   Spec. Bridgewater if I ever find you.  I'll never forget.  The next year the CO said we didn't have enough time to run an EIB test.  I only enlisted for two years.  Joined the guard upon ETSing.  Asked about EIB at the guard weekend "oh we don't have time for that".  Maybe the guard has changed now but 10 years ago they were still abunch of weekend warriors looking for a good drunk.  Asked to be put in the IRR after two or three drills.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:38:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like my NG experience.  They got their shit together after a couple years (and the rest of the unit came back from Bosnia), but by then I just wanted to either get out or go to a real unit.  AF Reserve has been a great transition to civilian life
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#38]
At my first duty station , Ft Wainwright AK. 6th ID light, we had to go through EIB every year and the only way out of it was to get one. Missed it my first year on range gestimation, but got it my second year as a PFC .Airborne, Air Assault, and EIB as a PFC,  and its what got me promoted to SPEC4.

By the way whoever said it was the hardest test obviously didnt go to Ranger School as previously noted. At least you got  to sleep at night between training and the test.

5/9th INF
1/17 INF
3rd RGR BT
6th RGR Trng BT
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

By the way whoever said it was the hardest test obviously didnt go to Ranger School as previously noted. At least you got  to sleep at night between training and the test.

THE hardest school there is, is the Army Advanced Land Navigation Course in W. Virginia.  I didn't even have the courage to go do that one.  I've seen studs leave for that one just to come back two weeks later with their bags smoked off.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Congratulations to you EIB earners.  i always envied the 11B's and 11C's.  as a 13F, we weren't  allowed to test for the EIB, wear the blue cord, or wear cross rifles.  that sucked ass.  linedogs always looked sharp.  we couldnt even wear our red cord.  the only thing we could wear was the coveted black beret (back in the day), scroll and jump wings and our cross cannons.  

now im a FOG and damn proud of it!!

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#41]
i was a happy camper when i got mine.
If i remeber correctly, we had 4 guys out of  my company, a cpl, lt, ssg and me, a lowly spc.
loved being EIB cadre the years following.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Got my E-5 and EIB within months of each other in 95'.  Celebrated with a bungee jump.   Was blade running after the AT-4 they had malfunctioned.  Still made it and did the march in 1:56.  Run-walk-run-walk.  Glad I filled the first two canteens with pedialite.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#44]
as a former  m1 tanker, I recieved an inordinate amount of shit for the flair I earned during my cadet days (air assault and airborne wings).  Not only marines make fun of flair.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Without hesitation, the Captain stated, "He'd low crawl up there and slit their fucking throats!"

Hooah!

Back in the day when I was in the 101st I had to pull a battalion staff duty runner shift. The brigade sergeant major, a Vietnam vet who had seen some hairy shit in his day, liked to prowl around the brigade area. So it's around 1600, and shit's really slow and we're sucking wind really bad because we've got the after lunch sleepies.

So I'm sitting there, and I could swear I hear the main entrance to the right open. I get up and kind of peek over there, but can't see anything. There's a support column in the way, but I don't see anybody walking up to me. So I sit back down, and just as soon as I get comfortable, this maniac leaps out from around the column with his warface on, screaming "AAAAAIIIIEIEEEEAAH!" like a lunatic. Well it's the brigade sergeant major.

So me and my buddy are like this:

And the sergeant major's like this:

Me/buddy:

Sergeant Major: "That's how ya do it, men! That's how you take out a fuckin' bunker! You sneak up on them dink bastards, chuck a grenade in there, then when it goes off you jump in there and cut their fuckin' throats with your bayonet!@!!"

Me/buddy:

Sergeant Major: "Carry on!"  <leaves>

Me/buddy:

We were pwn3d.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I start EIB train up on monday. First time for me, I know E-5's and 6's that have gone for it like TEN times and still haven't earned it. Call for fire might be my demise though. Got to get studying!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I start EIB train up on monday. First time for me, I know E-5's and 6's that have gone for it like TEN times and still haven't earned it. Call for fire might be my demise though. Got to get studying!

It  all about paying attention to detal. In the waiting areas dont be BSing. Go over it in your head 20X. When they call you, give yourself a few seconds. If for any reason at all you are not ready, dont go in, go to another station and then come back later. I did that like 10x the day I qualed for mine. Even days up until the qual I would lay there with my eyes shut going over everything mentally. I would even sit on my bed and practicing inspecting, deploying, and recovering mines and stuff like that, we practiced call for fine with each other. You have a few dozen tasks ahead of you and each one in itself has about a dozen steps that must be completed perfectly

Look at likt like AIT Cycle or Phase 3 training. Its really pretty much the same principal. Just a heck of a lot more stuff, thats all.

Just get you head in the right zone and you will be fine.

Grenades is the one that makes or breaks most guys.

Good luck and report back. If you dont get it, dont let it get to you, as long as you know you gave it your all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top