Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/25/2011 3:40:30 PM EDT
Getting to the stage of installing exhaust fans in my house. Need a kitchen exhaust and bath exhaust. They need to be wall mounted, and the kitchen needs to be powerful and quite. Any one have recommendations?

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:56:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2011 5:58:20 PM EDT by VaFarmBoy]
By kitchen fan, you mean a range hood? If so, I go with Broan. Go to the Lowes website, and you will find hundreds of fans. In the bathrooms, I use Broans as well, and avoid the lowest priced ones, as they don't move enough air. I also like the timer controls for them so you are sure to remove the moisture from the bathroom to avoid mold.

The midrange Broan that I put in my brother's house was pretty quiet, but not sure about the model number. The kitchen fan is a little louder on the highest setting though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:18:48 AM EDT
For the kitchen you need to compare the decibel level of different fans to get the quietest one. But keep in mind noise will be proportional to power. There are so many choices for the kitchen but I like Jenn Air hoods

For bathrooms, if noise is an issue, I would use a remote in-line fan like this
http://www.nutone.com/product-detail.asp?ProductID=10330
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:05:46 AM EDT
Just a thought....most people like noisy bathroom exhaust fans to cover up "noises".

Vent your bathroom fans out of the roof or wall...don't vent them to the attic (used to be done that way...don't let someone tell you that it's ok)
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:05:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Just a thought....most people like noisy bathroom exhaust fans to cover up "noises".

Vent your bathroom fans out of the roof or wall...don't vent them to the attic (used to be done that way...don't let someone tell you that it's ok)

The size of the fan (its cfm and rate of flow) will determine the size of the duct that you'll need. We have a crappy one in our master bath that I want to replace but the standard 3" pipe will not do. They said I had to go to at least a 4" and possibly all the way up to a 6" pipe depending upon which fan I choose.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:39:38 PM EDT
Do not buy a Broan for the bathroom. Mine lasted two years before it decided to no longer act as an exhaust but reverse the flow. After talking to my sister who designs kitchens and baths she said that they design the motors to last enough to get through the warranty.

As for the bathroom I just put in a Panasonic fan in and it is completely silent. They are a little more pricey at about $130 and up but well worth the money. Some even have motion night lights and humidity sensors in them to assure both proper low illumination when walking in and also to properly remove the moisture from the bathroom to assure the reduced chance of mildew.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:51:45 AM EDT
searching for fans as well
IMO a "silent" fan doesnt move enough air.
I have a 1/2 bath with a 6" fan from way back when.
it will suck the door shut its so powerful. It also could cover up the noise of a 747 taking off.
been looking but havent found a happy medium yet.
cheap noisey fans move the most air. expensive fancy ones you cant hear dont move enough air.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:59:59 PM EDT
My suggestion would be Panasonic. I've had one for around 7 years now with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:17:14 PM EDT
For the kitchen, I use Vent-a-hood. Mine is a dual centrifugal blower setup that is flame proof with a grease trap. These will pull your doors open if you don't have them latched securely. If your oven/stove has any significant BTU rating, this is what you want. These guys were in the game before many of the high end appliance manufacturers had anything close. They are not cheap, but you will not get a better performing unit for the money. You will not find any product at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. that comes close. Best Buy's higher end sister company Pacific Sales has this product line.

Mine vents through a 9" stack through the roof with a barometric damper cover.
Top Top