Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2008 8:56:03 PM EDT
Can anyone suggest a low impact exercise for your mid to lower back?  I am recovering for a back injury and need to start strengthing my back up.

Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
good mornings- slowly increasing weight then some back extensions once you heal up a bit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:19:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you have a gym membership?  Mine has a back extension machine that is zero impact.  

Don't forget to excercise your abs and sides too.  You need a strong core, not just a strong back.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Good mornings are the first that come to mind.

Careful with that injury though... start with a very light weight.

Good morning w/barbell

You can also do those with the barbell held in the crook of your elbows.
Link Posted: 4/14/2008 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Good mornings held in the crook of your arms are called Zercher good mornings. Any lift that has the barbell in the crook of your arms is a Zercher variant. I beleive that is a better variant than the regular good morning for someone who has never done them. It seems the overall form is easier to get used to. I know that was defianetly my experiance and I have heard the same from others.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Well like everyone else said to good mornings and some back extension.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Deadlifts, glute ham raises (www.asimba.com/fitness_info/exercise526.html)
or Good Mornings.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help guys.  I started the good mornings last night with very light weight.  We will see how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Pelvic tilts and Supermans.
Single leg Knee to chest.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Add heel raises and ball of foot raises. I just got done PT for a back injury
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good mornings are the first that come to mind.

Careful with that injury though... start with a very light weight.

Good morning w/barbell

You can also do those with the barbell held in the crook of your elbows.

I'll pass!

How bout this

or this

Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I completely confer with FreeManDan.  Good mornings, deadlifts and the like are a good way to reinjure your back as the lumbar musculature that supports stabilization of the spine has not been strengthened.  You need to be focusing on the muscles that you cannot see with your shirt off, and not the ones that you can.  FreeManDan's charts are the right exercises to perform, but in the reverse order of the pictures.  Start on the floor just pushing yourself up like a push up, but don't let your pelvis come off the floor.  Then you can work up to hyperextensions off the floor and then the machine.  Once you have gotten that, follow it up with some of the machines in the gym.  You should concurrently be doing core work, not necessarily abdominal work.  You can find several examples of this by doing an internet search for core exercises.  Slow and steady, don't rush it.  It will just cause you to reinjure yourself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
While I know you asked about lower back exercises, don't over look the importance of abdominal muscles in supporting the torso, which will also assist the back.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
While I know you asked about lower back exercises, don't over look the importance of abdominal muscles in supporting the torso, which will also assist the back.

With the leg bone connected to the knee bone, and the knee bone connected
to the thigh bone, and the thigh bone connected to the hip bone....
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Forgot to add the most fun exercise for the lower back.  Sex.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The Roman Chair (the first pic in FreeManDan's post) is an excellent exercise for strengthening the lower back.  You can also add some variation to that exercise by rotating as you extend your torso up.
If you have a gym membership look for a back extension machine where you push back against a pad in the middle of your back.  That is another good one.
Someone else mentioned that you should also do abdominal exercises.  This is very good advice, just make sure that you use good form and keep your back supported throughout the motion.

I just finished a 3 month physical therapy regimen for having a couple torn discs and spinal arthritis.

The program they have me doing twice a week on my own now is:
Roman Chair = 1 set (to failure)
Roman Chair w/rotation = 1 set each side (to failure each side)
Back Extensions = 2 sets x 20 reps
Abdominals = 2 sets x 20 reps (on a machine that promotes good posture)
Hip sled = 2 sets x 15 reps

I think I'd stay away from the Good Mornings, Dead Lifts and Roman Dead Lifts.  They seem like they'd be difficult to maintain good posture and could possibly lead to a re-injury...but to each his own.  What works for one man, may not work for another.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top