Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2014 3:16:21 PM EDT
Obama will sign an executive order lifting the minimum wage only for workers under new federal contracts to $10.10 an hour, the White House said, up from the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

A higher minimum wage for federal contract workers will provide good value for the federal government and hence good value for the taxpayer,” the administration said

Link

Paying more = increased value?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The handful of people this applies to will be giddy.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
How many Federal contractors work for $7 an hour?    I would be surprised if they worked for $10 an hour.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Paying more = fewer contractors.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Obama-nomics?
You think he will get a submarine named after him, or is he trying for a garbage scow?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

One point I make about minimum wage is that increasing it doesn't increase the value of the work, only the cost of the work.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not really.  This only applies to future contracts and everyone that's bidding will be doing so against the same numbers.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#7]
he’ll work around congressional opposition wherever possible this year.

View Quote

Ding ding ding
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How many Federal contractors work for $7 an hour?    I would be surprised if they worked for $10 an hour.  
View Quote

You can look up the minimum wages for federal contracts already:  http://www.wdol.gov/
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

$15.27/hr.

Other duties in my workplace pay $9/hr.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably janitors and such.

The low end of the shipyard workers, those who basically clean up and such.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I just dread seeing who the American people elect next.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Why only $10 per hour?  Why not $15 or $20 or more???
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm going to go with a mostly empty symbolic gesture that his very limited impact as well.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#14]
This is the beginning of runaway inflation. Next the shitbags in D.C. will mandate a high minimum wage that will drive the price of everything up. When you can aford to drive to McDonalds, a quarter pounder will cost you $25.00.

Minimum wage jobs are entry level, NOT living wage, raise a family, buy a home jobs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah really.  I say anything less than $50/hr is just plain mean.  And unfair.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Since most goverment contractors are union and their pay is set above minimum wage by most union contracts I believe it is a raise for a lot more people than we all realize.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Minimum wage jobs are entry level, NOT living wage, raise a family, buy a home jobs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there is this one as well today - it's not fair for some to make $10 while others make $50

Link

Democrats consider President Obama’s State of the Union address on Tuesday a launching point for a year of sustained assault on Republicans over a populist economic agenda...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#19]
D.C. Thought-process:

Who cares?  It isn't my money.  Hell... for that matter, its BORROWED money.
View Quote

They operate like one that goes ass-wild on their credit cards because they know they will file bankruptcy on them anyway.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

One point I make about minimum wage is that increasing it doesn't increase the value of the work, only the cost of the work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol you think that fucking ratard gives a shit?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#21]
At $10.10 an hour, you will see a huge difference in that double McFucking Cheese.

No more value, just higher costs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, screw that pesky Constitution and only Congress being allowed to spend the money.  The dictator is getting his coup going and our elected Congress will do nothing.  They are becoming more like the Russian Duma under the Politburo in the USSR.  Useless.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I thought the House held the purse strings?

Oh, that's the Constitution......
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

The handful of people this applies to will be giddy.  
View Quote

Lots of Union pay scales are based off of Minimum Wage + X.  That's the real point.

Edited: beat.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Obama will sign an executive order lifting the minimum wage only for workers under new federal contracts to $10.10 an hour, the White House said, up from the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

A higher minimum wage for federal contract workers will provide good value for the federal government and hence good value for the taxpayer,” the administration said

Link

View Quote

just because they'll get paid more doesnt mean they'll try harder
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:33:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Not really.  This only applies to future contracts and everyone that's bidding will be doing so against the same numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Skilled workers under federal contract are usually paid according to the prevailing wage scale....I think last time I worked a contract it was like $18.65/hr and time and a half over 40 hours....

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

doesn't it actually lower the value of the work?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Skilled workers under federal contract are usually paid according to the prevailing wage scale....I think last time I worked a contract it was like $18.65/hr and time and a half over 40 hours....

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

They don't.

However, Federal Union contract worker's base pay is based off of x% times the minimum wage.

It's a payoff for all of those who supported him in the unions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Why can't it be you get paid by the work you put forth?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Lets not pass judgment until we hear what the state of the union is......

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yeah, screw that pesky Constitution and only Congress being allowed to spend the money.  The dictator is getting his coup going and our elected Congress will do nothing.  They are becoming more like the Russian Duma under the Politburo in the USSR.  Useless.
View Quote

This is just it. I'm wondering if anything will be said in the State of the Union - something to the effect of "look, I don't need you. I just increased minimum wage. Play ball or I do it my way". Of course, it will be phrased in a way to make Republicans look like obstructionists.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#33]
and those that actually EARNED their way to that wage?  What do THEY get?  (almost sounds FSA, but you know what i mean...)
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<Inspector Clouseau> ratard <Inspector Clouseau>

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Since most Federal contractors make well over that already, this is just feel-good bulshit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not order that everyone on the contract gets paid the same and foster a new era where people work out of a sense of duty to contribute to the full extent of their ability rather than for money......... lol .....progressive dumbasses bring back 70's era stagflation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
and those that actually EARNED their way to that wage?  What do THEY get?  (almost sounds FSA, but you know what i mean...)
View Quote

It doesn't almost sound fsa, it is 100% fsa.

If you started at $5 per hour, Worked your way up over the years, and earned enough raises to get you to that $10 per hour,  and accepted the job based on that wage, then it matters not one bit what other people make, regardless of seniority or merit.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Brought to you by the same party that gave us this gem:

"Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program."

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Who works for the federal gov and makes min wage. Thats silly.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"What difference does it make?" is on her way...
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I foresee many who make less than the $10/hr he raised it to getting pissed. Trying to ruffle voter base feathers so they demand action.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#46]
How many fast food workers will go out and buy new sneakers, video games , etc. thinking that this applies to them?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I am glad congress has approved the budget for this.  Bigger question - what else is tied to the minimum wage of federal contractors?  Changes like this have pesky ripples sometimes.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't we still have the Davis-Bacon Act that covers this, Union scale or some such thing?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

it's not like anyone making either of those wages in a gov type job will give a flying fuck about the quality of their work product or service.

so yeah no difference, really.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top