Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2014 4:18:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:20:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So my Grandfather gave me ALOT of Craftsman/Sears tools the other day.

Sockets, ratchets, wrenches, screwdrivers, allan wrenches, etc.

Some of them are from before Craftsman was "Craftsman" and labeled SEARS.

about 75% of them are really rusty, chipped, minor flaws, and some of them are fully broken.

What is the policy on exchanges now with Craftsman?

I remember back in the day if there was one spot of rust, you could return.

I am not trying to be apart of the FSA, but just wondering about how to exchange some of the non useable tools.

Thanks.

View Quote

Rust but works, meh, use it, broken, take the broken stuff to the nearest Sears and see if you can get new cheap chinese made shit in return.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not need to return the ones that are rusted.

Is there a solution that will remove the rust, or is this going to be a long cleanup task with a wire wheel?
View Quote

Evap o rust
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Ed's Red. 50% acetone and transmission fluid. put in sealed metal container, toss rusty tools in them and let sit a week or two, take out and wipe down with steel wool and dry off.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
what are the broken things?  ratchets?  If so you might be able to get rebuild kits for them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Take them in and they will replace them no matter how old.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If they are marked SEARS Companion, they are not lifetime warrantied
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#9]
The "SEARS" marked tools are not older or before Craftsman. They are the cheaper Chinese made crap that sears was dumb enough to put there name on. There is NO warranty on these tools.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#10]
You will find the quality of the stuff they will replace it with is nowhere near what the older stuff was.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Their new "Craftsman" stuff is china shit.  I'd keep as much of your old tools as possible.  If something you have is broken to the point it doesnt work, then ok, take it in.  Chinese is better than nothing.

Recently, I wanted a decent 1/2" ratchet as an extra so I went to Sears and saw all the china crap they sell.  I ended up buying a "vintage" Craftsman ratchet on ebay for about $25.  I cleaned it up and its like new now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]
They still have made in US tools but they are pricy, such as the professional line of ratchets.  I have the 1/2" drive model and it is nice.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Check them to see if they're collectible.  

Also, the new stuff is shit.  Keep what you have that works but is just cosmetically damaged.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I actually toss rusty sockets and stuff in with my brass when I am tumbling it...  Works wonders.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They still have made in US tools but they are pricy, such as the professional line of ratchets.  I have the 1/2" drive model and it is nice.
View Quote

I know their "pro" line sockets are made by Armstrong...which you can buy cheaper than Craftsman and still have a lifetime warranty and are made in the US.  Not sure about their ratchets but I'd wager a guess that they get them from Armstrong as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I haven't been to a sears in a few years. I need to go buy a 11mm 1/4" socket as I lost it. Thats too bad they moved all the production to China.
View Quote

Sears has AIDS.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I haven't been to a sears in a few years. I need to go buy a 11mm 1/4" socket as I lost it. Thats too bad they moved all the production to China.
View Quote

THey sell gear wrench which in made in the USA and has a life time warranty.  not sure if the make sockets though

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top