Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2006 10:57:27 AM EDT
Hunting the Habu

Excerpt:

Another historic speed record was set on the return journey, when Capt Harold B. Adams, pilot, and Major William Machorek, RSO, set a speed record from London to Los Angeles. They flew the 5,645 miles in 3 hours 47 minutes and 39 seconds for an average speed of 1,480 miles per hour. The difference in the two speed records was due to refuelling requirements, and having to reduce speed over major US cities. Despite precautions, a large number of people in the Los Angeles area reported broken windows due to the sonic boom.

The aircraft arrived almost four hours before its departure from London, due to the eight-hour time difference between the UK and California.  

www.airsceneuk.org.uk/oldstuff/2006/sr71/sr71.htm

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#1]
God I love America.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I got to look one over at the former Pease Air Force Base in NH, it was very impressive.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
1960's tech.  I have to wonder what we can do now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
1960's tech.  I have to wonder what we can do now.

Almost a half-century of advancement.  I don't think anyone who doen't have a "need to know" can come close to imagining what is being devolped as we speak.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top