Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 1:37:02 PM EDT
Okay lets see if anyone can help me with this.  I've used Excel for years but have never figured this out.  I download data in a .cvs format and start scrubbing the data.  The date column never seems to want to format.  Even when you go to format - cells and then to the date section, it just will not format.  I copy a different date that I know is correct and paste formats and it still doesnt' want to do it.  If I simply retype the date or I simply click on the field and hit enter, it does format it.  Why is this?

My dates that are working fine say "12/31/10" but are actually 12/31/2010 with the year spelled out when you click on them.  The ones I'm having trouble with do not have the 20 prefix in the year.  I seemed to remember this was a y2k issue because Excel could always just assume the 19.

Why is Excel so hellbent on keeping that date a text rather than a date?  I usually do a formula where I take the date cell, add zero to it and then copy paste values.  (This would be the tricking the computer school of thought.)  This seems to work fine, just wondering if anyone ever ran into the stubborn date format issue.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Scrub your input file of all cell properties before you paste, then format afterward.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Never mind.  The date issue I had isn't what you're seeing.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Scrub your input file of all cell properties before you paste, then format afterward.

Hmmm, never heard of that.  How do you do that?  Just Format cells and change everything to "general" or what?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top