Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/7/2006 7:01:30 PM EDT
The last few weeks we've really been busting some ass doing runs along with sprints, pushups, etc mixed in with the run. Then on the next day we do springs, pushups, etc along with 2-3 rounds of weight circuits. Now we usually work out starting at around 4pm. We eat lunch around 11:30am. I usually eat 2-3 samiches with turkey, cheese, and spicy mustard along with some chips and maybe a banana too. I drink several bottles of water during the day but usually drink a coke for lunch. Towards the end of our workouts I start to get nauseous and the last few times have puked the last 20-30 yards of the run. Am I eating too much? Seems like almost 4.5 hours would get rid of the food in my tummy. Alot of guys just get some big smoothie for lunch from smoothie king. Think that would help or be worse?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:05:19 PM EDT
IMHO, make sure ya ain't near me!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:08:16 PM EDT
Eat a little less, or deal with it i'de say.

When I run everytime I pass 4 miles I end up puking a little bit, not much but enough to get me to cough up. Now my puking doesn't really adhere my running I just keep running..now if your vomiting is really severe..i'de probally eat less.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:14:41 PM EDT
Eat less, drop the cafeinne, enjoy the pain. Being hard on yourself is what gets you in shape.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:24:59 PM EDT
Do not worry about your lunch. 4.5 hours is plenty of time. You just need to adapt to the intense activity. Hang tight, you will settle in.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:21:36 AM EDT
When your lactate levels get too high the pH shift in your blood activates the nausea center of your brain. Its a built in defense mechanism telling you to stop working so hard. Your slow twitch muscle fibers are not clearing the lactate fast enough and it is building up to too high a level. You can reduce the intensity of your run, not sprint at the end if you are doing that, or just get in better cardiovascular shape.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:06:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
When your lactate levels get too high the pH shift in your blood activates the nausea center of your brain. Its a built in defense mechanism telling you to stop working so hard. Your slow twitch muscle fibers are not clearing the lactate fast enough and it is building up to too high a level. You can reduce the intensity of your run, not sprint at the end if you are doing that, or just get in better cardiovascular shape.

I'll be sure and go tell my PT instructors that and see if they would mind not doing the sprints at the end. I'm sure they'll be understanding.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 12:06:11 PM EDT by DevL]
There are some lactate buffers you can buy from the health food store that are supposed to help with your situation but the problem is that the level that is effective for some of these is right at the level that will cause explosive diarrhea. You will be hard pressed to find anyone at a GNC who will be able to help you... Id look at a privately owned helathfood/supplement store or at least anything other than a chain store. Probably something with potasium phosphate in it. You might also consider a creatine supplement while you are at it. If you go cheap and use plain old sodium bicarbonat (baking soda) you WILL shit yourself.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:48:16 PM EDT
Drink water.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/9/2006 5:00:57 PM EDT by sgthoskins]
The only times I've every puked from running until I can't was because I had too much for lunch. I've done it twice, both times I had a huge lunch and ran at 4:30-5pm. Not sure if your 2-3 sandwiches are causeing it, but I would start by trying to eat a lighter lunch and larger dinner. Let us know what ends up working for you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:07:31 PM EDT
Well on yesterday we only had to do a mile and a half run and I had a light lunch and did fine.

Today we did 3 rounds of weight circuits then a mile run. No vomit there either after a lunch of two sandwiches, a few chips, and water.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:12:13 PM EDT
Er... Quit FUCKIng running?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:12:40 PM EDT

There are some lactate buffers you can buy from the health food store that are supposed to help with your situation but the problem is that the level that is effective for some of these is right at the level that will cause explosive diarrhea. You will be hard pressed to find anyone at a GNC who will be able to help you... Id look at a privately owned helathfood/supplement store or at least anything other than a chain store. Probably something with potasium phosphate in it. You might also consider a creatine supplement while you are at it. If you go cheap and use plain old sodium bicarbonat (baking soda) you WILL shit yourself.

A drink called Cytomax is suppose to be a LActic acid buffer. Try drink some through out the day before your workout and see if that help. Taking baking soda will do nothing since it is nutrealized by your stomach acid. I think your body just needs to get used to the intensity.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:59:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sixgun357:

A drink called Cytomax is suppose to be a LActic acid buffer. Try drink some through out the day before your workout and see if that help. Taking baking soda will do nothing since it is nutrealized by your stomach acid. I think your body just needs to get used to the intensity.

I did notice a few years ago that when I used Cytomax during bike rides, that I was less sore afterwards and the next day.
Top Top