Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:56:52 PM EDT
Damn.  Just got word that my brother gets to ride out the storm as one of the last Marines on NAS Pensacola to guard the base.  He got 2 hrs to go to his house to grab what he could and report back to the shore to ride out the storm.

He said the town is a ghost town and the wind is getting worse by the minute.  To add insult to injury, when he got to his house to pick up his dog, the back door was open and his 1 year old great dane Gus was nowhere to be found.  

If you have a set of fingers to cross for a young marine, I would appreciate it.  Good luck to all you guys in the storm.  

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Damn.  Just got word that my brother gets to ride out the storm as one of the last Marines on NAS Pensacola to guard the base.  He got 2 hrs to go to his house to grab what he could and report back to the shore to ride out the storm.

He said the town is a ghost town and the wind is getting worse by the minute.  To add insult to injury, when he got to his house to pick up his dog, the back door was open and his 1 year old great dane Gus was nowhere to be found.  

If you have a set of fingers to cross for a young marine, I would appreciate it.  Good luck to all you guys in the storm.  

NorCal

Hope all goes well and he finds his dog!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't sweat the dog. It will find a safe place. I hope the best for your brother. He is likley to be needed very much more than usuall in the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't sweat the dog. It will find a safe place. I hope the best for your brother. He is likley to be needed very much more than usuall in the next few days.

Couldnt have said it any better.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's hope the storm won't do much damage and your brother is safe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The last time I had to ride out a typhoon on Okinawa, there were a few Marines who thought it would be a good idea to go outside when it was gusting to 100 knots.

I don't know about you, but rain driven by 95 knot wind hurts.

I hope your brother rides out the storm unhurt.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If your brother is on base then he'll most likely be 100% safe.  I'll still "keep my fingers crossed" for him though.

He's not going to get much sleep in the next few days.  There will be too much to do with too little resource.

And let us know as soon as you here from him again (and find out about the dog too).  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#8]
He needs to figure out how he can get himself assigned to guarding this and find a nice dry corner.

www.civilwaralbum.com/misc/ftbarrancas7.htm

It's over by the Air museum and should be above the storm surge.  I just hope they got everything outside tied down right at the Naval Air Museum
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Hope stays safe. being on a ride out crew sucks last one I was on was kate back in the 80's. wasnt to much fun. hope he has better chow than we had in the air force. one can only eat so much breaded veal patties. had them 3 meals a day. Hope everything turns out ok for him and he finds his dog.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:12:00 AM EDT
[#10]
His neighbor probably got the dog...my money is on the dog being safe as well.

Good luck to your bro...I will hope and pray for him.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
He'll be okay...remember, he's a United States MARINE!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

He called my sis this morning.  His house is in a pile per his roomate (he lived off base) and his dog is still MIA but he is OK.  I guess it was one wild ride on the base.  His best estimate is that it will be about 4 days before he can even leave the base, because a bridge was knocked down(?).  

Hope everyone else fared well.

NorCal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top