Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2012 9:51:25 AM EDT
The second key for the wife's 04 Murano was broken by the previous owner, rather than shell out for a new key, I was going to make a plastic sleeve for it.
Then I decided to pop it open, here's what I found.

I think I'll get a regular copy made, mill a pocket, and epoxy the transponder in :-)

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, what did the previous owner do? Let their dog chew on the keys every minute they were out of the ignition? I'm hard on my edc stuff but damn.

That's neat, those keys are expensive especially from the dealer. I have gone to ACE Hardware for work and gotten a chip key made for like $60 or so, they can program most keys but I'm interested in what you come up with.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the problem, they're way too expensive to have a copy made if it works just fine

Now I'm thinking, I do have a 3' chunk of 1" x 1" titanium at home, maybe I'll get fancy and mill up a 2 piece shell
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, eBay sellers have been doing this for awhile. There are some very innovative key fob designs out there with blank transponders that you can program and have the key physically cut at Lowe's or Home Despot.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
tape the transponder to the underside of the steering column and just use regular $2 keys from any hardware store.     Worked in my jeep
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
tape the transponder to the underside of the steering column and just use regular $2 keys from any hardware store.     Worked in my jeep

Yep, or as we were taught open up the steering column cover and tape it right over the key cylinder. Re-install cover and use cheap generic key.

Then again just making a fob on the same key ring sound kewl too. I wonder if someone could mill out the back of a 'dillo and use that?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 1:27:33 AM EDT
[#6]
With the latest cars, you don't even need to fumble around with a bulky key ring to start the car. Just push a button.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a good idea about taping the chip near the ignition. Any idea on the range?
I may do that until I get a chance to draw up something.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#8]
My impromptu test shows a couple of inches max.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Some keys have the smart thing in a little glass pill looking thing.  

My next new car will have the SmartKey that you don't need to take out of your pocket.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's a good idea about taping the chip near the ignition. Any idea on the range?

I opened up the column and taped it on the inside of the lower half.   2-3 inches from the key

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I opened up the column and taped it on the inside of the lower half.   2-3 inches from the key

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I gotta see you mill a pocket with that turning insert!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:21:10 PM EDT
[#13]
+++GREAT idea to tape transponder near the key area.+++

One twist that has worked well for me when negotiating for a new car is to demand that the dealer's bid  (in writing) clearly include a total of four or five fully functioning key fobs / transponders.  I figured that will get me the lowest cost for spare "keys" and avoid the hassle of being without a fully functioning key.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One twist that has worked well for me when negotiating for a new car is to demand that the dealer's bid  (in writing) clearly include a total of four or five fully functioning key fobs / transponders.  I figured that will get me the lowest cost for spare "keys" and avoid the hassle of being without a fully functioning key.

That's what I should've done. When I bought my truck it only came with one key, and wouldn't you know it, it's a transponder key. It's going to cost a little over $200 to get another one programmed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:23:27 PM EDT
[#15]
One twist that has worked well for me when negotiating for a new car is to demand that the dealer's bid (in writing) clearly include a total of four or five fully functioning key fobs / transponders. I figured that will get me the lowest cost for spare "keys" and avoid the hassle of being without a fully functioning key.

That's a great idea.  I can't imagine that keys cost much for a dealer, and certainly saves you money in the long run.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This does work great most of the time.  If your vehicle uses a separate keyless entry remote, then the remote will most likely not work with the chip permanently installed in the car.  Most keyless remotes will not work if the car senses that the keys are in the ignition.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:16:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I gotta see you mill a pocket with that turning insert!  

I've got mad skillz yo!

It was just something handy to set it on.

She does have remote start, I'll have to try and see what it does.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I just want a simple stamped metal key. I don't need a key costing over $60. My dad's 1965 Plymouth never got stolen.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:56:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This does work great most of the time.  If your vehicle uses a separate keyless entry remote, then the remote will most likely not work with the chip permanently installed in the car.  Most keyless remotes will not work if the car senses that the keys are in the ignition.

There is usually a separate wire connected to a switch inside the lock cylinder that activates 'keysense'
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Have the chip implanted in your forearm.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I just want a simple stamped metal key. I don't need a key costing over $60. My dad's 1965 Plymouth never got stolen.

Ford blank transponder keys are like $10+ on eBay:

New style: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Logo-OEM-PATS-Transponder-Chip-Jewel-Key-Blank-/140595944584?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20bc2bdc88

Older style: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Logo-OEM-PATS-Transponder-Chip-Key-Blank-597602-/130523636047?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e63d0a14f

If you want expensive, look at some of Chrysler's keys with the stupid Infrared signal - the batteries are not cheap!!

I prefer the keyless entry fobs and pushbutton ignition. Just keep the fob in your pocket somewhere and never have to fumble with keys again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top