Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 6:10:50 PM EDT
Well????

Of course my membership lapsed so I cannot embed.  Someone please do that for me?  Please?

Fisk arrival Osh 17

2017 Fisk Arrival into Oshkosh - Simultaneous Landing with T-6 Overhead
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well????

Of course my membership lapsed so I cannot embed.  Someone please do that for me?  Please?

Fisk arrival Osh 17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjJw4xtlsSM
View Quote

2017 Fisk Arrival into Oshkosh - Simultaneous Landing with T-6 Overhead

ya poor bastard.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
BTDT  

From a few years ago landing on 27

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
woah thats nuts
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen them land planes over top of someone like that. Why did they close the air field? Saturation?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That is fucking nuts.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Those controllers are nuts. If it was me we'd have wreckage everywhere
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've never seen them land planes over top of someone like that. Why did they close the air field? Saturation?
View Quote
The only times I saw the airport closed was for the airshow or a crash/mishap.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really want to work it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Harrison Ford would love this approach.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I really want to work it.
View Quote
It really is very cool how the controllers are compartmentalized but still work together.  

There is the main tower and four satellite towers  together with roving controllers and ground guides to direct traffic off of the runways and to their destinations.  

What you hear in that video is just a very small portion of what is going on.

For those who are wondering...   There is colored dots on all the runways. (3IIRC on each) Aircraft are assigned to a dot for landing,  once landed they are directed off of the runway to a taxiway ASAP.  For small aircraft that would be to leave the runway surface via the grass.  Runways 18 and 36 were generally the show designated runways,  off show hours it is used as an arrival and departure runway.  The hard taxiway for 18/36 is also used for landing and takeoff.

Runway 27 is also used as and arrival departure runway at the same time.  While all this is going on the grass strip off the S/W end of 18 is live and working.  

It is genuinely fascinating.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Buddy of mine flew John Glenn's (the Astronaut) old plane in there this year. I'm really hoping to finally finish my PPC and get out next year, or at least catch a ride.

Airventure Arrival In John Glenn's Baron - MzeroA Flight Training
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It really is very cool how the controllers are compartmentalized but still work together.  

There is the main tower and four satellite towers  together with roving controllers and ground guides to direct traffic off of the runways and to their destinations.  

What you hear in that video is just a very small portion of what is going on.

For those who are wondering...   There is colored dots on all the runways. (3IIRC on each) Aircraft are assigned to a dot for landing,  once landed they are directed off of the runway to a taxiway ASAP.  For small aircraft that would be to leave the runway surface via the grass.  Runways 18 and 36 were generally the show designated runways,  off show hours it is used as an arrival and departure runway.  The hard taxiway for 18/36 is also used for landing and takeoff.

Runway 27 is also used as and arrival departure runway at the same time.  While all this is going on the grass strip off the S/W end of 18 is live and working.  

It is genuinely fascinating.
View Quote
I have friends who have worked it and they've broke it down and it all stills sounds so crazy.

With staffing what it is these days I'm amazed they're able to get enough bodies
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Best video I've seen posted here in a long time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in the early 90s I worked a temporary tower once a year at Spence Field in Moultrie, GA during the Sunbelt Ag Exp.

It would get really busy at times and it was not run according the rules set forth in any book that I know of.

Not sure how we got away with it but it was observed every year by management from my facility and from ZJX.

It was an old air base with only one runway.

Busy as all get out for the first couple hours in the morning.

It was common to have two aircraft landing at the same time while other aircraft were back taxiing on the edge of the runway.

Typical transmission:

"Baron on short final cleared to land. Land long, Cessna in trail will be landing short. Use caution for the King Air Back taxiing on the left side of the runway. Cessna on 1/4 mile final number 2 following the Baron approaching the numbers, land short and use caution for the King Air back taxiing on the left side."

It was wide runway with just the center 1/3 maintained and marked.

It would be steady like that for a couple hours in the morning. On top of that one year there was a guy giving rides in a Skyhawk and he would not call the tower for clearance. We finally got someone to go down there in a truck and block him in so he couldn't leave again till he agreed to call for clearance.

About 3 years of that was enough. Too crazy.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Back in the early 90s I worked a temporary tower once a year at Spence Field in Moultrie, GA during the Sunbelt Ag Exp.

It would get really busy at times and it was not run according the rules set forth in any book that I know of.

Not sure how we got away with it but it was observed every year by management from my facility and from ZJX.

It was an old air base with only one runway.

Busy as all get out for the first couple hours in the morning.

It was common to have two aircraft landing at the same time while other aircraft were back taxiing on the edge of the runway.

Typical transmission:

"Baron on short final cleared to land. Land long, Cessna in trail will be landing short. Use caution for the King Air Back taxiing on the left side of the runway. Cessna on 1/4 mile final number 2 following the Baron approaching the numbers, land short and use caution for the King Air back taxiing on the left side."

It was wide runway with just the center 1/3 maintained and marked.

It would be steady like that for a couple hours in the morning. On top of that one year there was a guy giving rides in a Skyhawk and he would not call the tower for clearance. We finally got someone to go down there in a truck and block him in so he couldn't leave again till he agreed to call for clearance.

About 3 years of that was enough. Too crazy.
View Quote
Air show rules are more fun.

1500 between Cat I's , using the same method you described to maximize runway usage.

Dots on the runway are your separation markers.

Three cubs on the runway with a pair of Mustangs on the overhead above them for separation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:20:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Landed there a few times...my favorite time was back in '69 last leg of my coming home from VN journey....

Still love the King Air to this day.

Thanks for the post always fun to see where I used to live & work (rail road)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy hell that's both frightening and hilarious at the same time!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Blue Angels practice.

They normally shouldn't land over another aircraft like that but they do have waivers for reduced separation at Oshkosh.

Funny enough I was on the south airfield that morning watching that exact guy land with the T6 over top of him while listening to my scanner. They appeared much closer than the video shows and got lucky the controller caught the T6 descending on top of them. Quite frankly I don't think the T6 ever saw them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 64 logged VFR arrivals and 2 IFR approach to landings at Oshkosh during the convention starting in 1989 and ending in 2014.  Sadly I sold my airplane last year and I've hung up my wings.

Many of my pilot friends won't do it because it does look rather chaotic from the ground.  I can say that when pilots and controllers are in sync it's a beautiful ballet.  In reality, there are strict rules  spelled out in the NOTAM (notice to airmen) that MUST be followed to the letter.  Controllers talk on the radio, pilots listen and comply.  Land on the green dot means "on the green dot".  Not 500 ft down the runway.  Anyone flying in must be proficient in their aircraft.  No solo student pilots allowed.

Of course there are some idiots and I've witnessed a small number of "fender bender" type incidents.  The worst being when Jack Rousch pancaked his Beech Jet in a botched go around attempt after a piper cub took the runway and was very slow in departure right in front of his approach.  Rousch applied full throttle but pitched up and stalled.  He did avoid the cub.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Twice, in an O-2.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have 64 logged VFR arrivals and 2 IFR approach to landings at Oshkosh during the convention starting in 1989 and ending in 2014.  Sadly I sold my airplane last year and I've hung up my wings.

Many of my pilot friends won't do it because it does look rather chaotic from the ground.  I can say that when pilots and controllers are in sync it's a beautiful ballet.  In reality, there are strict rules  spelled out in the NOTAM (notice to airmen) that MUST be followed to the letter.  Controllers talk on the radio, pilots listen and comply.  Land on the green dot means "on the green dot".  Not 500 ft down the runway.  Anyone flying in must be proficient in their aircraft.  No solo student pilots allowed.

Of course there are some idiots and I've witnessed a small number of "fender bender" type incidents.  The worst being when Jack Rousch pancaked his Beech Jet in a botched go around attempt after a piper cub took the runway and was very slow in departure right in front of his approach.  Rousch applied full throttle but pitched up and stalled.  He did avoid the cub.
View Quote
I thought that was a base turn to final stall/spin?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Controllers remind me of the auctioneer from Storage Wars.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Blue Angels practice.

They normally shouldn't land over another aircraft like that but they do have waivers for reduced separation at Oshkosh.

Funny enough I was on the south airfield that morning watching that exact guy land with the T6 over top of him while listening to my scanner. They appeared much closer than the video shows and got lucky the controller caught the T6 descending on top of them. Quite frankly I don't think the T6 ever saw them.
View Quote
He didn't.

That is why they have satellite and roving controllers.  I watched a near pile up on the 36 side one morning.  Both on final for the same spot,  one below and slightly ahead and the other at his lowest point was high and behind by about 40 feet clearance before the high and behind AC broke up and to the east.  I had a camera,  but I was to busy saying "OH SHIT!" and watching the ensuing train wreck.  The controllers saved the day on that one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I live 15 min west. I've been told during EAA it's the busiest Airport in the world
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I live 15 min west. I've been told during EAA it's the busiest Airport in the world
View Quote
My grandma grew up on a farm in Omro
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is insanely busy.  IIRC they said something like 3100 at its busiest day, arrivals and departures.

From the EAA.

Total aircraft: More than 10,000 aircraft arrived at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh and other airports in east-central Wisconsin. At Wittman alone, there were 17,223 aircraft operations in the 10-day period from July 21-30, which is an average of approximately 123 takeoffs/landings per hour.

Total showplanes: 2,991 (up 5 percent over 2016): 1,107 homebuilt aircraft (second straight year over 1,100), 1,162 vintage airplanes (up 12 percent), 351 warbirds, 168 ultralights and light-sport aircraft, 79 seaplanes, 54 rotorcraft, 60 aerobatic aircraft, and 10 hot air balloons.

Attendance: Approximately 590,000, an increase of five percent over 2016.  Comment from Pelton:

-  “The combination of our features and attractions, along with great weather for six of the seven days, made for an excellent week. That kind of success also created challenges in parking, camping and traffic, but I’m proud of the determination and ingenuity of our 5,000 volunteers who rose to tackle those difficulties and create an event where unforgettable aviation experiences can happen.”
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#30]
That wasn't cool that was stupid. I could see doing stuff like that with a group of pilots who I know a trust but doing those stunts with Joe Blow VFR is the reason people die or get get hurt every year at Oshkosh.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That wasn't cool that was stupid. I could see doing stuff like that with a group of pilots who I know a trust but doing those stunts with Joe Blow VFR is the reason people die or get get hurt every year at Oshkosh.
View Quote
??

When you have the volume of aircraft you have at EAA Oshkosh there is bound to be things like this that happen.  There was nothing stupid about it.  It was caught by the controller and corrected.  Was it unsafe after the initial mistake was corrected?  IMHO. No.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#32]
That's got to be some nerve racking traffic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
This and the one further down are fucking crazy! Props to the traffic controllers and the pilots! Butt puckering but exciting at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I've got that t shirt, more than once.  Probably will not have the chance again, but it was fun way back then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Having 2.2 hours logged on my PPL flight training that gave me shivers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#36]
I've always wanted to do that.

We brought two aircraft in for display this year, one of them came in a few days early because the pilot didn't want to deal with this.

Turned out it was IFR conditions when he arrived, he was thrilled, kept a lot of people away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Lost a friend there a few years back when he stalled his Glasair on base to final.  Sad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope,  It was not a Stall Spin.

I saw the whole thing from 200 yards away as it progressed.  Rousch caught my eye as he flew his approach because he was flying an aggressive pattern (holly tight turns batman) at a speed that was much greater than the usual propeller airplanes.

He flew a very tight approach which kind of took the ground controllers by surprise as they had cleared the cub to take off ahead of him.  The cub driver hesitated for a long time before applying power.  Jack was on very short final as he saw the cub.  You could see and hear the engines spool up as he sidestepped to the right of the runway but it got away from him, pitched up and stalled at about 15 ft above the runway.  It pancaked flat into the dirt to the right of runway 18 R.  

I thought he might have gone into the conga line of awaiting departures but it didn't end up hitting anyone.   His face was messed up pretty good when he got out of the wreck.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:13:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Lost a friend there a few years back when he stalled his Glasair on base to final.  Sad.
View Quote
Gerry Beck...  Died there.  

The main reason I had never gone there until this year.  

Crashed his P-51.  

After losing a few people I knew,  some I knew well.  I am just kinda falling back into the aviation thing again after a few years of stepping back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn, that's nuts. I'll keep it on 4 wheels. Lol

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Landed there a few times...my favorite time was back in '69 last leg of my coming home from VN journey....

Still love the King Air to this day.

Thanks for the post always fun to see where I used to live & work (rail road)
View Quote
Did it in the late '70's in a Piper taildragger.

Did it more recently in a high perf single...

No issues.

Love Oshkosh!!!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Gerry Beck...  Died there.  

The main reason I had never gone there until this year.  

Crashed his P-51.  

After losing a few people I knew,  some I knew well.  I am just kinda falling back into the aviation thing again after a few years of stepping back.
View Quote
I was on-site as an intern for the NTSB for that accident.  Watched it happen and got a call 5 minutes later
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#43]
I was in the right seat for a landing in 2015. It was hairy
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#44]
You landed less than a mile from where I grew up.

My old man was stationed as a Fire Fighter at the fire station that covers the airport for 20 years.  He saw a lot of people die in crashes over that period of time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been to Sun and Fun in Lakeland, FL. It was pretty crazy but not that crazy.
I've Flown my little Grumman into Miami International, Orlando International, Tampa International, Charleston, Norfolk, Teterboro, and Islip and many other airports. And they were all less scary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top