Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2002 11:39:56 AM EDT
Ok, so after seeing a few pictures of me about 5 years ago, I realized I am starting to loose it...hair that is.

Wondering if anyone has ever tried any of the remedies advertised on TV or knew of any herbs or things like that...

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Rogaine is pretty effective in stopping hair loss.  It doesn't do real well with hair regrowth.  I would never use propecia - sexual side effects - yuck.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I got some info in the mail this week about propecia and ruled it out based on the full-page of side effects that were listed.

I would be interested in hearing more about Rogaine. The side effects that are listed on their website are dry, cracking, itching, or bleeding scalp. Doesn't sound like much fun either...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't about herbs,but I use wahl clippers.It makes all my hair match the top...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Save your money and your pride-get a bic and go cojack. Grow a goatee and put in an earing. Get a tattoo, a harley davidson, and a blonde bimbo. Ride cross country and enjoy life. Hair is overrated.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the most cost effective and least likely to cause side effects method of treating baldness is Hair Alternative Therapy, or "H.A.T." for short. Email me for the specifics, only a $29.95 consultation fee, postal money order preferred![:D]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna do the shaved heat thing, hell I'm already married so no one to impress anyhow. [:)]

The Propecia side effects are blown out of proportion though.  There are a lot of them, but the rate is only about 2%.  If I really wanted to keep my hair this would be how I would do it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rogaine is pretty effective in stopping hair loss.  It doesn't do real well with hair regrowth.  I would never use propecia - sexual side effects - yuck.
View Quote

sexual side effects?  doesn't that defeat the purpose of having full head of hair?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]THE MOST COMMON SIDE EFFECTS[/b]

Clinical tests showed PROPECIA was very well tolerated. Only a very small number of men had some sexual side effects, with each occurring in less than  2% of men. They included less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, and a decrease in the amount of semen. When the men who had these side effects stopped taking PROPECIA because of them, the side effects went away.

[url]www.merck.com/product/usa/propecia/cns/home.html[/url]

My advice is get a short crop, like a #1 1/2-#2 buzz, and get on with your life. What good is a full head of hair if you can't get a woody?
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
A guy kidded me about hair loss once, I told him
"All men are born with the same amount of hormones, if you want to waste your's growing hair, then go ahead. . ."

Ok, Ok,  so it's a small joke -
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Gives a whole new meaning to the handle "Airhead".[:D]

I'm in the same boat, I still got my hair, but I finally realized there's a bit less left than there was a couple years ago.

I've been using Rogaine (actually the generic "Equate" brand at less than half the cost) for about four months now.  I personally don't notice a difference, but I have had other people mention an improvement.  But at least I haven't noticed my hair thinning any more since I started.  Also no bad side effects on my part.

Hell, at $25 (Equate brand) for a 3 month supply, it's worth a try.

Don't make fun of me, it's my genes' fault...
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got some info in the mail this week about propecia and ruled it out based on the full-page of side effects that were listed.

I would be interested in hearing more about Rogaine. The side effects that are listed on their website are dry, cracking, itching, or bleeding scalp. Doesn't sound like much fun either...
View Quote

I never had any side effect from Rogine (Minoxydl (sp?)).  Propecia is developed from a hormone derived from duplicating a hormone of a group of people that have very delayed puberty.  I just didn't feel comfortable with that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Genetics man.  By age 40, you will either have a full head of hair or you will be hung like a stallion....(insert goofy stallion sound).

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Thats not a bald spot-its a solar panel for a sex machine!

Or so I told the little woman several years ago!

Okay,Okay-I've got friends that were bald in their twenties,friends that still have a full head of hair in their late fifties,and alot of friends,like me,that are in between.
If it means a lot to you,then I would go all out and try to save it.
But,you could just buy the H.A.T. system and have more toys.
I also like the shaved head,ear ring,Harley and EYE PATCH route.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gives a whole new meaning to the handle "Airhead".[:D]
View Quote

Ironic isn't it...?

Actually I picked that name because of a love of air-cooled BMW twins.

I'm in the same boat, I still got my hair, but I finally realized there's a bit less left than there was a couple years ago.

I've been using Rogaine (actually the generic "Equate" brand at less than half the cost) for about four months now.  I personally don't notice a difference, but I have had other people mention an improvement.  But at least I haven't noticed my hair thinning any more since I started.  Also no bad side effects on my part.

Hell, at $25 (Equate brand) for a 3 month supply, it's worth a try.

Don't make fun of me, it's my genes' fault...
View Quote

I'll have to check that out (equate), I've seen that brand at Wally World and will look into.

It's my understanding that nothing will start the hair-growth process and you have to start early to keep what you have. I'm in good shape now...but I'm going to be 27 this month and don't want to find out what things will be like 10 years from now.

"I love my father, I just don't want to look like him".........from the Rogaine commercial.

Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine is using Rogaine and it seems to be working.  I noticed a difference before knowing he was using it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I also like the shaved head,ear ring,Harley and EYE PATCH route.
View Quote

Not my style.

Plus it's not an image that goes well with my bike. (2002 BMW R1150R)[:D]
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#17]
The best thing you can do for hair loss is to get used to it.  Women don't seem to mind and those that do are very shallow and are only worth a romp or two in the sack, nothing to get really excited about.

I have noticed that as my hair got thinner, I dated a much higher quality of women.  Remember that many women have fathers they love who have also lost their hair.  In a lot of cases they saw that their mother was not bothered by it and they tend to be the same way.

A lot of women also know what goes along with the hair loss.  They understand that hormones cause hair loss and those same hormones can also make life very pleasureable for them.

Get used to it.  Aside from the occasional juvenile acting man, nobody cares about your hair loss.

Buzz cut it and watch how women strangers will walk up and start feeling up your head.  Actually makes a good conversation piece in that situation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#18]
My opinion is that if they really DID find the cure for hairloss, we'd all know about it!  (kinda like the common knowledge that asperin cures headaches)

The cure will probably only come when they identify the gene that causes hairloss, then find a way to turn it "off".

Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:39:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, I'm married and I'm sure my wife will still be committed if I loose my hair.

I guess it's just a vanity thing. It's always been easy for me to get a smile or a little wave from a lady.

I've always kept my hair cut short and my wife teases me about looking like I "just got discharged"

Oh well....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top