Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2004 4:44:12 PM EST
I've heard of this beverage all my life but never saw it much less tried it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:46:48 PM EST
I've tried it, tastes good with a light after taste.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:46:58 PM EST
Honey-based beverage for adults.

It's not bad..a little sweet and weird-tasting if you're used to beer, but still not bad. Some love it, some hate it. I've only had a couple bottles, and that's not enough for me to formulate an opinion on it yet.

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:02:14 PM EST
"Tis constancy in the good fight alone,
Best justifies the mead thy valiant sons have won."
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:10:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:11:09 PM EST
Nope never really seen it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:15:51 PM EST
Killer stuff. I've got a batch of rhubarb mead racking right now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:16:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:16:48 PM EST
My gf made some once. Too sweet for me, but tasty and unique.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:17:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
pangea,

if your interested in making a batch i can email you a good recipe. it's pretty easy.

mike

Can you just post it?
If not, hit the e-mail button, I'd like it if you please.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:18:20 PM EST
Yup. Good stuff. Goes down smoooooth, with a warm landing at the end.

Go EZ on it though, the buzz can be quite the ride, and the landing like a flatop in a hurricane.

[
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:18:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 5:21:03 PM EST by luger355]
I tried a bottle of this particulay english mead once. I just had to try the stuff.

Im one of the ones that didnt care for it. Id describe the flavor as honey mixed with really cheap burbon

Ill take a nice bottle of belgan trapist bier over it any day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:30:39 PM EST
I'm considering making mead next, assuming my watermelon wine turns out good enough to not discourage me
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:31:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:44:30 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:46:09 PM EST
Excellent!

I recommend all...honey or the fruit types.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:48:09 PM EST
Interesting aside,

Mead was the first alcoholic beverage discovered by man.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:53:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:56:05 PM EST

pangea,

if your interested in making a batch i can email you a good recipe. it's pretty easy.

mike

I'd like your recipe as well if you don't mind. I've been looking to make a new back now that we've moved into the new house.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:58:14 PM EST
Yup...I used to date this woman from London who made her own mead...great way to get hammered...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:01:15 PM EST
shit
although that'd pretty much be par for the course for me. most of my stuff is drinkable by me, but not good enough to share. the last thing I did was cider. it isn't bad, but a little weak on flavor

As for the watermellon wine.... I NEVER made one that was drinkable. watermellons are horrid when fermented.

mike

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:05:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:08:55 PM EST
Mjod is good
Theres a pretty good winery in northen Wis that makes mead.
www.whitewinter.com/
Not as good as mine though
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:12:27 PM EST
I love the stuff even though I've only tried it once. It's kind of hard to find around here. I even bought a book on how to make it but never got around to it. Went the Moonshine route instead, it's way eaiser to make. Since I've stopped drinkin' I've even quite making that. In fact, it's cheaper and eaiser to just buy bourbon but still(pun intended) it's nice to know if they ever outlaw booze again that I can make it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:17:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By TNFrank:
I love the stuff even though I've only tried it once. It's kind of hard to find around here. I even bought a book on how to make it but never got around to it. Went the Moonshine route instead, it's way eaiser to make. Since I've stopped drinkin' I've even quite making that. In fact, it's cheaper and eaiser to just buy bourbon but still(pun intended) it's nice to know if they ever outlaw booze again that I can make it.

My first mead was made with something like 7# honey and red start bread yeast in a gallon jug. People thought it was shine, paint stripper, rocket fuel, ect...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:18:00 PM EST

If you want to try something that's pretty close to actual Mead without going through a fermentation process, I gotta a solution.

I mix BARENJAGER w/ either White Cranberry juice for the summer months, or Cran-Apple for the Fall and Winter months.

And just a splash of Peachtree Schnapps

Mead is the NECTAR OF THE GODS, Well Norse Gods anyway
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:30:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By DWFAN:
If you want to try something that's pretty close to actual Mead without going through a fermentation process, I gotta a solution.

I mix BARENJAGER w/ either White Cranberry juice for the summer months, or Cran-Apple for the Fall and Winter months.

And just a splash of Peachtree Schnapps

Mead is the NECTAR OF THE GODS, Well Norse Gods anyway

LOL, and 'shine is the Nectar of the Hillbillies, well, Southern ones anyway.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:44:05 PM EST

"It's made with honey...!"

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:44:06 PM EST
Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:46:23 PM EST

mead is SWEET generally and normally 12-15%alc. Not for the weak girly men. I used to make a batch each october and give it away for christmas presents. the only problem is 15lbs of honey ain't exactly cheap!!

Beer Slayer - if I get you the honey, could you make me some?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:58:32 PM EST
Just how hard is it to brew your own beer? I've gotten the catalog from Williams Brewing and it doesn't seem to be that hard.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:02:58 PM EST

traditional mead

15lbs light honey
1 tbsp gypsum
4tsp acid blend<optional>
1/2 oz yeast extract<optional>
1/4tsp irish moss powder
1/2oz champaign yeast

add honey,gypsum,acid blendand irish moss to 1 1/2 gallons of water and boil for 15min. skimming foam as it appears. CAREFUL boiling honey will boil over quickly

tranfer the wort to a fermenter and fill with cool pre boiled water <to sterilise> to make 5 gallons. stir well to aerate and add yeast when temp is below 80f. seal carboy and add airlock. ferment to completetion. about 10 days. rack to secondary carboy and let clear. 10 days or so. bottle when clear.

this is a pretty simple and basic recipe. i have several others that add spices and fruits to add extra flavor.

As for the watermellon wine.... I NEVER made one that was drinkable. watermellons are horrid when fermented.

mike

Thakns Mike! We have had shitty luck with watermelon wine too. My son has about 50 gallons of wine going right now. It's been working for about 6 months now and will be ready soon, I hope. 15 gallons of mango wine, 15 gallons of blueberry, and about18+ of pear.

I'm on the hunt for bargain priced honey now thanks to you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:00:11 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:03:28 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:05:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:12:04 AM EST

mead is SWEET generally and normally 12-15%alc. Not for the weak girly men. I used to make a batch each october and give it away for christmas presents. the only problem is 15lbs of honey ain't exactly cheap!!

I have made pear and wild grape wine but never mead, but I happen to have plenty of honey since I raise bees. That be about a gallon and a quart. Gonna have to try your recipe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:17:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:24:16 AM EST
www.homedistiller.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?Cat=&PHPSESSID=
Here's an excellent site for all of ya' that want to brew, distill or other wise make alcoholic stuff to drink.
Whiskey is easy if you have the equipment, wine is next and beer has always seemed like the hardest thing to make with all the cooking of the wort and what knot. Regiester with the above site, post your questions and have some fun making your own drinks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:59:40 AM EST
Mead......mmmmmmmm

love Mead, the best I have had was some I got at the Tower of London gift shop, it had some brandy mixed into it......so alc. content was way up there.....and it ROCKED.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:04:19 AM EST
winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp
seems to be a really respected site
tons of recipes for wines, and probably a mead or two
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:32:59 AM EST
The mead that my sister brought back from Canada was really good. Sweet but good. Didn't tickle my fancy enough to look for more of it here in DFW though.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:41:34 AM EST

traditional mead

15lbs light honey
1 tbsp gypsum
4tsp acid blend<optional>
1/2 oz yeast extract<optional>
1/4tsp irish moss powder
1/2oz champaign yeast

add honey,gypsum,acid blendand irish moss to 1 1/2 gallons of water and boil for 15min. skimming foam as it appears. CAREFUL boiling honey will boil over quickly

tranfer the wort to a fermenter and fill with cool pre boiled water <to sterilise> to make 5 gallons. stir well to aerate and add yeast when temp is below 80f. seal carboy and add airlock. ferment to completetion. about 10 days. rack to secondary carboy and let clear. 10 days or so. bottle when clear.

this is a pretty simple and basic recipe. i have several others that add spices and fruits to add extra flavor.

mike

Is the mead ok to drink right the ten days, or do you have to let it sit for a while? Don't know if I could let that much wine sit there without trying it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:58:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/4/2004 9:04:52 AM EST by TNFrank]
You can easily make a fermenting container by getting a food grade plastic bucket and lid(5gal.) and drill a 3/8" hole in the lid, insert a length of clear plastic tube, plumbers goop the tube on the outside of the lid to seal then put the tube into a small glass with about an inch of water in it. This lets the CO2 out and keeps stuff from getting in. If the lid leaks then seal the lid to the bucket with a couple turns of duct tape.

P.S.
The tube only needs to stick inside of the lid about 1/4" so it won't get into the mash.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:00:03 AM EST
Yep!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:18:02 AM EST

Excellent!

MT
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:27:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By MT_Pockets:
www.liquorama.net/ProductImages/chaucersmead.jpg

Excellent!

MT

That's the one that I had. It is very excellent mead. At the time I was on my "Viking" kick having just got a Viking Sword and watched "The 13th Warrior" and "The Vikings" several times. I HAD to have some mead to see what it was all about. Well, I really like it. I wish one of the major brewries like Bud or Miller would come out with it in six packs, I'd get a six every weekend if they did and it was a quality product. I like Hard Apple Cider too, Pub Draft cider is really good, forget the name of the People that make it though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:37:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By kpel308:

Originally Posted By luger355:
I tried a bottle of this particulay english mead once. I just had to try the stuff.
www.bottleworks.com/art/lurgushallenglishmead.jpeg
Im one of the ones that didnt care for it. Id describe the flavor as honey mixed with really cheap burbon

Ill take a nice bottle of belgan trapist bier over it any day.

From your typing, I'd guess you were having some at the moment!

no no orficer i aint been drinkin
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:52:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:43:10 PM EST

watermellons are horrid

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:05:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:17:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By CavVet:

watermellons are horrid

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2