Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:02:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That is badass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:02:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Caption:  "<Nelson>HA HA!</nelson> Tricked ya, motherfucker!"
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow. I never realized that a mantis was such a tough-ass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother once saw one that was apparently over-zealously cleaning itself, and it pulled its head off.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]
little freaky
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Praying mantises eat insects and other invertebrates such as other mantises, beetles, butterflies, spiders, crickets, grasshoppers, and even spiders. The praying mantises also eat vertebrates such as small tree frogs, lizards, mice and hummingbirds. Praying mantids can resemble flowers and can catch small, unknowing hummingbirds. Praying mantids also eat other nesting birds.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle

www.insecta-inspecta.com/mantids/praying/
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks like something Gary Larson (The Far Side"), would think of/draw.

It just needs a comment.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#9]
wonder if it would eat my ex. those things are awsome, praying mantis not a ex.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#10]
No,  and I still haven't.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]
No wonder some martial arts model sets of movements after that insane bug. Be interesting to see that sucker eat feathers & beak.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1. Holy shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Must be pretty strong just to hold it there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My brother once saw one that was apparently over-zealously cleaning itself, and it pulled its head off.

That's common in bachelor manti.

Rather than get hitched, donat sperm and be eaten by their "love," they just pull their own heads off.

Saves time and the effort of wooing a mate that is just going to eat you.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It self-owned.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm calling
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
yep, found one a couple of years ago on the hummingbird feeder. It was holding the humming bird by the head and had already killed it and had chewed a hole in it and was eating it's brains. After that I killed every praying mantis I found on the feeder. I would just make a swift cut and slice their head off. This one I did it to,after it's head was cut off, stayed hanging onto the feeder. I would touch it with the knife on it's body and it would swivel it's neck around as if to look at what had touched it. After doing it four or five times it had enough and just flew off. Don't know how it decided where to land, with no head and all. Shades of the headless horseman. That was weird.
leroy
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#18]
We have mantids at our place.  I've seen a green one and a brown one.  They are awesome.  We hatched them from a mantis cocoon we bought at a plant nursery.  We hope they stay.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
We have mantids at our place.  I've seen a green one and a brown one.  They are awesome.  We hatched them from a mantis cocoon we bought at a plant nursery.  We hope they stay.

I belive they have the ability to change their coloration like a chameleon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I belive they have the ability to change their coloration like a chameleon.

I didn't know that but I would totally believe it.  The colors were appropriate for their settings.
They can either change or they are intelligent enough to hang out where they're better camouflaged.

Green mantis

Brown mantis

Actually, the brown mantis is probably more that new 'coyote' tactical color because he is quite obviously HSLD.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#22]
That is one big ass mantis.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:57:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm calling

Someone always does.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:09:09 AM EDT
[#25]
My college room mate freaked out when I bought one to the dorm.
It measured 8 inches long.  
(so did the mantis)

He thought it was a plastic toy, until the bug turned it's head to look at him.

His opinion was that any insect intelligent enough to turn it's head to get
a better look at you, needed to be shot with a 10 gauge Browning.
(his shotgun of choice)

I kept it in an aquarium and fed it crickets.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I've seen mantis that were green, brown, very light brown, and very dark brown, all in the same area, all apropriately colored to their surroundings.  I've suspected they change color, but never been able to confirm it.

Here in my area (near Portland, Orygun) we didn't have Manti when I was a kid.  First time I found out we had the damn things was when I was framing a house.  I picked up a 2x4 and threw in over my shoulder.  As I was walking a 5 or 6 inch mantis climbed onto my ear, having it's many feet spanning my ear from top to bottom.  I initiated full and complete "wig out and go into convulsions" mode in a defensive attempt to deal with the concept that I had just discovered an insect big enough to eat my head.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've seen mantis that were green, brown, very light brown, and very dark brown, all in the same area, all apropriately colored to their surroundings.  I've suspected they change color, but never been able to confirm it.

Here in my area (near Portland, Orygun) we didn't have Manti when I was a kid.  First time I found out we had the damn things was when I was framing a house.  I picked up a 2x4 and threw in over my shoulder.  As I was walking a 5 or 6 inch mantis climbed onto my ear, having it's many feet spanning my ear from top to bottom.  I initiated full and complete "wig out and go into convulsions" mode in a defensive attempt to deal with the concept that I had just discovered an insect big enough to eat my head.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#28]
They need to genetically mutate those, and make them the size of a horse.  Now that would be badass.

Train them up so the our troops can ride them.  We could then dispense with APCs, LAVs, Blackhawks and Ospreys, and have a military consisting only of Mantis cavalry and Super Hornets.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Those things are cool.  The other thing we have around here (more north but I saw one here once) is a "walking stick".  Ever hear of them?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Those things are cool.  The other thing we have around here (more north but I saw one here once) is a "walking stick".  Ever hear of them?

They're not true insects.  I have yet to see one with six legs.  

Seriously though, it seems as if the "lost leg" department is open only for walking sticks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I hope he eats that bird now instead of just posing for pictures. I use every part of every animal I kill. Damn city mantis.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm calling

Full Story

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

YO, JOE!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:05:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Yep.

Little guy held on until about 45 MPH.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#35]
jees that damn praying mantis stuck his leg threw the hummingbirds chest  then ate him upside down. that thing is a mini version of the predator.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah.... it may be tough, but it's no match for my size 12 Sketchers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Learned somthing new today. I didn't know those praying mantis would eat a bird. Some people may not like it but that is life in the wilds and it can be pretty brutal, witness the humming bird. That is amazing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

They're extremely bad assed.  About 20 years ago I found 1 on the side of my elementary school and wanted to save it from being squashed.  So  I picked it up and the sum-bitch took a chunk out of the top of my thumb.  Now I just observe them.  

BTW kick ass pic
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Praying mantises eat insects and other invertebrates such as other mantises, beetles, butterflies, spiders, crickets, grasshoppers, and even spiders. The praying mantises also eat vertebrates such as small tree frogs, lizards, mice and hummingbirds. Praying mantids can resemble flowers and can catch small, unknowing hummingbirds. Praying mantids also eat other nesting birds.

And now my favorite quote:

"What's the other half?"
"Killing those  d*** bleeding-heart mother-f***ing commie bastards."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
My college room mate freaked out when I bought one to the dorm.
It measured 8 inches long.  
(so did the mantis)

He thought it was a plastic toy, until the bug turned it's head to look at him.

His opinion was that any insect intelligent enough to turn it's head to get
a better look at you, needed to be shot with a 10 gauge Browning.
(his shotgun of choice)

I kept it in an aquarium and fed it crickets.

Bada Bing!

ETA, I just went and read that article from the link posted above. That is straight out of a freakin' horror movie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"What's the other half?"

I've always said "The other half is dropping large exploding things on the enemy."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#42]
It’s cousin in the ocean is equally a bad ass............ Mantis shrimp!

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:24:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Another nightmare brought to you by ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Another nightmare brought to you by ARFCOM.

Yeah, I know. Isn't it great?!?!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:55:14 AM EDT
[#45]
When I was a kid my older sister taught me how to put a leash on a mantis.  One can hand feed them.  Ever after I would "tame" a big mantis toward the end of the Summer.  The best part was to park that Big Girl right outside of a yellow jacket nest and watch her grab onto an angry yellow jacket (often by snatching it right out of the air!), shake the sense out of it and then devour it head first.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:55:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Didnt know they could kill a small animal..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"What's the other half?"

I've always said "The other half is dropping large exploding things on the enemy."

http://newgrounds.com/portal/view/96916
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:04:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'm calling

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
When I was a kid my older sister taught me how to put a leash on a mantis.  One can hand feed them.  Ever after I would "tame" a big mantis toward the end of the Summer.  The best part was to park that Big Girl right outside of a yellow jacket nest and watch her grab onto an angry yellow jacket (often by snatching it right out of the air!), shake the sense out of it and then devour it head first.

Just because you said that, I have to try it now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top