Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 6:53:23 AM EST
I saw one a couple weekends ago in Annapolis, but I didn't actually ride on it.

They seem pretty cool and I'm surprised they haven't taken off more than they have... at least in some sort of business application... like postal delivery. I heard they were supposed to implement them in NH for this purpose, but I don't know if it ever went anywhere.

I just read about a 4-Wheel ATV version of one they are in the process of making. Also looks pretty cool, although it's practical appliaction would probably be even less than the 2-Wheel version since it would take up more room in populated, traveled areas.

I wonder if they could make a robot out of one... Instead of trying to emulate bi-peds with robots, they shoudl give this a try... probably be a lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:02:17 AM EST
I saw some a few years ago, some air force special ops guys had them, they were trying them out for the air force, with trail tires on them they were going along through fields and the grass easily, over small obstacles, and quietly. Seems the military is going to buy a lot of these things.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:13:03 AM EST
Yeah, right. I'm 6'5". That's exactly what I need, something that will put my head a foot closer to tree branches, awnings, signs and the like - plus will propel me toward such head-knockers at speed. Look, man, my head is banged up enough as it is.

Plus, I'm straight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:14:31 AM EST
I rode one of those at the San Jose, Calif Museum of Technology and Industry. It was weird feeling. It feels like its going to fall over and you compensate, and of course the Sigway also compensates, I fall over like GWB Sr. when he tried it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:15:04 AM EST
No, I'm straight.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:28:27 AM EST
Thank you maddox:

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:30:29 AM EST
nope
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:31:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 7:34:01 AM EST by hamptonyellowdog]
I use to be a FF in the Town that Mr. Kaymen lived in (the guy that invented the segway). One day we went on a tour of this guys house. Holy shit he has got way too much money. Not one but two helicopters, a forge, full machine shop, a wind mill and those are just the highlights. Oh did I forget to mention the antique steam engine (out of a river boat) the turns two 8000lb wheels in his front lobby(thing generates heat for the whole house) I think it was something like 20,000-28,000 square feet
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:39:23 AM EST
Yup, it was a lot of fun. They couldent make a robot do this though, it requires to much balance and weight shifting. They also are making a unicycle version. Its by bombraider.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:51:31 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:02:21 AM EST
Rode one at the KC Zoo.

The only place I have seen them in numbers was in the IRL paddock.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:04:30 AM EST
It's so gay even San Francisco banned it on its streets.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:05:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By Javak:
It's so gay even San Francisco banned it on its streets.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:05:47 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:10:07 AM EST
Yes. I messed around with my boss's segway once. It was kind of a neat toy but I couldn't see paying what they want for one.
BTW, I'm straight too.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:11:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By fike:
Rode one at the KC Zoo.

What is an IRL paddock?

A zoo would be a cool place for one... I hate walking at the zoo for some reason.

Overall I think these things promote laziness, but then again we live in a seriously lazy society, so...

Yeah, the price on them is way sick... I guess it's one of those things where you have to sell a bunch of then to creat a demand in order to bring the price down.

I don't get the third wheel thing...
I also don't get the whole gay thing. What's gay about it... uber-droky maybe, but not really gay.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:19:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
I also don't get the whole gay thing. What's gay about it... uber-droky maybe, but not really gay.

The thing that gets everybody talking about the Segway, is the fact that it remains upright and balances itself. Put a third wheel on it, and a throttle and brake similar to a motorcycle. Same friggin thing, and much simpler. The Segway doesn't impress me, and it's a stupid (and overpriced) idea.

"Gay" is sometimes used as a synonym for "dorky" or "stupid". It's hard for me to imagine a man's man wanting one. I dunno.

I have a bicycle. It's super efficient, and cheap as hell.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:32:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 8:33:12 AM EST by x5060]

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

It's hard for me to imagine a man's man wanting one. I dunno.

Funny, liberals say the same things about our firearms
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:33:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2004 8:34:31 AM EST by Fat_McNasty]
Why get one of thoses when one of these are better.

Suzuki Quadzilla 500 For about half the price of the Segway.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:36:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By x5060:

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

It's hard for me to imagine a man's man wanting one. I dunno.

Funny, liberals say the same things about our firearms

Sure, except I'm not advancing any sort of notion that Segways should be banned or regulated. I just think they're overrated.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:36:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:44:37 AM EST

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:

Originally Posted By fike:
Rode one at the KC Zoo.

What is an IRL paddock?

A zoo would be a cool place for one... I hate walking at the zoo for some reason.

Overall I think these things promote laziness, but then again we live in a seriously lazy society, so...

Yeah, the price on them is way sick... I guess it's one of those things where you have to sell a bunch of then to creat a demand in order to bring the price down.

IRL= Indy Racing League

http://irl.autoracingsport.com/irl_images/logos/irl_logo.jpg

A lot of the engineers and drivers are replacing their pit scooters with the Segway.

Here is Tony George, owner of the Indy speedway and IRL riding his in the pits.

http://photos.vectortrust.com/pages/Indy_Racing_League_IRL/images/tony-george-1.jpg
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:46:26 AM EST
Now that we have invented a substitute for walking let's invent a machine that'll stuff our fat faces so we don't have to lift our arms.

Only a really fat person with a small ego/penis and too much money would want one. It's like a porche for nerds.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:04:03 AM EST
I got a chance to evaluate one at a tech conference I attended .
The technology involved is more impressive then the platform .

The one I was using was one of the prototype units and
had the early software , one of it's flaws was that it had the tendency
to want to run you over as you dismounted because it read it as
a rearward weight shift and interpreted it as thinking you wanted to back up .

Talking with one of the design team , they knew early on that it's
target application was to replace golf carts used for personal transport
in large commercial complexes and warehouses .
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:08:49 AM EST
Nope, and I don't have much desire to. The whole thing seems kinda stilly. For a tenth of the price, you can get a bicycle that's just as fast, much simpler to maintain, and requires no fuel or charging. Or for half the price or so, you can get a scooter or ATV or something that's much faster and still simpler and easier to maintain.
Top Top