Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 7:29:14 AM EDT
Anyone else ever "lost" a firearm in their own house, I have.  

I've been hunting a Bersa .380 in my house for a couple of days.

It was in a desk drawer at the house, but my ex-girlfriend was moving out that weekend while I doing my IDT and the desk was going with her. So I remembered at the last minute before I left that it was in there, grabbed it and stuck it in my bag (the safe had about 2 tons of crap piled in front of the door and I was in a hurry).

I get back Sunday evening and she's all moved out. Well I get distracted by the fact that she took all my lightbulbs, the remote control batteries, toilet paper roll holders, toilet paper, paper towels and everything in the fridge/pantry. Kinda funny, but it's getting dark and I need some tp, lightbulbs and food. Later that night I'm cleaning out my bag, take my .45 and the Bersa .380 out and put them on the floor by the couch because I'll be sleeping right there because she took her bed of course.

So this week I see that same bag and remember the Bersa had gone on that trip with me but it's not in the bag or the safe. Look around in the usual places, the truck, I'm just flat out drawing a blank. I guess with everything else that had been going on at that time that memory didn't get saved. I look around a bit, finally say to hell with it, it's gotta be in the house somewhere. The next day I look around some more, trying to think back, still no luck.

I'm starting to get worried its been stolen, did I lose it somewhere, etc.  

I'm driving yesterday and it just hits me all of a sudden, I recall taking it out of the bag and having it laying on the floor by the sofa. I get up for work that morning, running a little behind on time, gather all my stuff up, grab my .45 that goes everywhere with me and shoved the Bersa under the sofa just to get it out of plain sight. There it was under the sofa when I got home, mystery solved, but it was a bad feeling for a little while.    

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
nope
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:37:38 AM EDT
[#3]
never
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont have a safe right now (I am shopping for one) so that requires me to hide my firearms throughout my house, in many cases in more than one piece.  I have never completely lost one but I did take me two hours of searching to find the bolt for my 308.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#5]
....umm no..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I have found guns in my safe that I forgot I had...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:54:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Lost (misplaced) a 4006 Smith for about 2 years! Found it in the bottom of a large sock drawer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a gun or two in my couch cushions.  
And I often forget about them being there.
But I never forget where they are when I'm looking for them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I couldn't find my Glock 22 or 23 (can't remember which one) for 6 or 7 months.  Turns out it fell back behind my bed
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Be sure you send her a bill for the stolen light bulbs and toilet paper.

That's just low.   You don't mess with a man's toilet paper stash.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:43:03 AM EDT
[#11]
The closest thing would be my wife moving my duty belt when she is cleaning. I don't think that counts as me losing it. Most of my other guns are locked up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Uh , definately "NO".

Not the sorta thing I leave unlocked and unattended.

Get organised.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#13]
No.  With three young kids in the house, I know exactly where all my guns are at all times.

I will admit to misplacing boxes of ammo, though.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Finding lost objects

These guidelines really work.  If they don't, just add the item to your 'lost list' -- and check them off as they turn up.  They will turn up faster if you aren't thinking about them all the time.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#15]
More than once!  Like a squirrel hiding nuts before winter.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hell no.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Be sure you send her a bill for the stolen light bulbs and toilet paper.

That's just low.   You don't mess with a man's toilet paper stash.

CJ

It was well worth it to get her out of the house. You really don't realize how many lightbulbs are in your house until they are all gone. I went and bought some jumbo packs of the new energy saver twisty type bulbs, Al Gore would be very proud of me
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I lost a boxed pistol in my old safe for nearly a year - it turned out the firewalling in the back was loose and a couple of items from the top shelf had tipped over into the space behind the loose walling.  When I bought a new safe and transferred everything, I put the old one on a dolly to haul into my home office - it was going to become teh secondary important papers/coins safe.  When I set it down the back interior wall fell over and the missing items suddenly came to light.

And all that time I thought my brother had borrowed it and forgotten to return it!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#19]

I love it. Stories like this about girlfriends make me remember that I don't mind being married.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I was in the garage awhile back and looked in a long cardboard box I thought had some old golf clubs in it. It was a SKS I had bought years ago for $70 and hadn't ever taken out of the box, like finding $20 in a jacket you haven't worn in years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Lost a M85 for about 9 mo.

Turns out it was in my other range bag that I hardly ever use.

It was locked in the gun room.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Firearms? Never. Maybe the occasional "Where did I leave that earlier today" lost, but no overnight 'send out a search party' loss of firearms.

Magazines and ammo? That's another story...

In other news, a little while back I discovered a case of 12 gauge ammo under a couple old towels that I had put there last summer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#23]
No. The only gun that is out of my locker is the pistol I CCW. Unless I am cleaning, going shooting, or taking "inventory", then  they go right back in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Never really lost one.
Found a few I forgot about...
I bought a Marlin 357 lever and an 870 sp. field 20 ga for my son.
turned out I put an FR8 in with them and well you know.

Pete
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Finding lost objects

These guidelines really work.  If they don't, just add the item to your 'lost list' -- and check them off as they turn up.  They will turn up faster if you aren't thinking about them all the time.

That is a good guide!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

+1

I have lost mags, but never guns. Every once in a while I am cleaning and find a mag... SWEET!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#27]
I havnt lost one. But I have lost the bolt to my favorite .22 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah, I "lost" a CZ-50 I stopped looking for.  I thought it was in the garage somewhere.  

One of the movers found it and brought it to me, holding the bottom of the grip between a couple fingertips.     Um, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I have lost mags, but never guns. Every once in a while I am cleaning and find a mag... SWEET!!!

I cleaned out behind the seat of my truck the other day and found 3 full center mags I had left back there in 2006 lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:16:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Only when my POS Brother in law stole one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
 You don't mess with a man's toilet paper stash.

CJ

That reminds me, I'm on my last roll.

Never lost a gun, period.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Not a firearm, but I haven't found a stripped lower that I misplaced a couple of years ago.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought I had lost one. Looked every where.  I knew it was in the house somewhere. About a month later I found in my gun safe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#34]
I lost an AMD 65 project for like a month.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
she took all my lightbulbs, the remote control batteries, toilet paper roll holders, toilet paper, paper towels and everything in the fridge/pantry. Kinda funny, but it's getting dark and I need some tp, lightbulbs and food.

Didnt part on the best of terms I see...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top