Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 4:48:54 PM EDT
I was looking up the weight of Cessna 150s today when I stumbled across this. I had never heard of this before.

Mathias Rust a teenager flew a Cessna 172 into Soviet airspace and landed in Moscow's Red Square. Apparently this move did help bring about some change in Russia, giving Gorbachev an excuse to purge the regime of some folks who disagreed with his policies.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes. He's a nut.

Sweet landing though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:51:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. It was kind of a big deal when he did it.

ETA: It was a big embarrassment for the Ruskies. They had a very extensive air-defense system that completely failed them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess I must have been too young to remember this taking place. I was a teenager at the time.  Guy does sound like a nut job, been in trouble a lot since then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Later in life he stabbed a female co-worker who rejected him.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember it well.

A lot of Russian generals lost their jobs that day.  There were foreign media all over Red Square for some big propaganda fluff promotion of the Soviet Union, when all of a sudden, some dude just lands there, with all the cameras to see.

When their chief general of air defense was called, he thought someone was pulling his leg.

One of the things that supposedly allowed him to pull it off was that there were two major search and rescue operations going on for downed aircraft, so there was a lot of flight activity in the corridor he chose.

Somehow, it all worked out in his favor, until he was arrested.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Screen name...?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah.

He is a bit "off" though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I remember him. Gave the commies a big FUCK YOU
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Screen name...?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Screen name...?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
learn something new every day
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I remember that being a scenario in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000, didn't know it was an actual event.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah. It was kind of a big deal when he did it.

ETA: It was a big embarrassment for the Ruskies. They had a very extensive air-defense system that completely failed them.
View Quote

this must be his homeboy
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, it was an awesome stunt!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah.

He is a bit "off" though.
View Quote

Duh...

People that do spectacular things typically are a bit "off"
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#15]

I remember that!  

But it wasn't a plane.  It was an ultralight.  And it took two minutes before anyone there noticed.   And it happened in Washington DC.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember.  Crazy sum bitch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember it. Didn't hear about him gigging a coworker That rejected him though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember when he did it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Why were you looking up weights of Cessna 150s? and why not 152s? tri gear is easier to deal with than taildraggers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why were you looking up weights of Cessna 150s? and why not 152s? tri gear is easier to deal with than taildraggers.
View Quote

A co-worker was talking about his crazy uncle that used to fly dangerously in his Cessna 150 and during his story he mentioned that he thought the plane must have weighed around 2400lbs.  I told him no way and was looking to see what the tare weight of such plane would really be.

Edit - That said, 150's were tricycle. It was the 140 that was a tail dragger
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:40:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A co-worker was talking about his crazy uncle that used to fly dangerously in his Cessna 150 and during his story he mentioned that he thought the plane must have weighed around 2400lbs.  I told him no way and was looking to see what the tare weight of such plane would really be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems a bit high.

Define dangerous? Enquiring minds NEED to know!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That seems a bit high.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems a bit high.

Just dumb stuff like not following traffic patterns, Landing with the wind, running cracked weather checked tires. The weather checked tires portion is where the weight was interjected into the conversation
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Just dumb stuff like not following traffic patterns, Landing with the wind, running cracked weather checked tires. The weather checked tires portion is where the weight was interjected into the conversation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That seems a bit high.

It's not like you need good tires, you only use them for a couple hundred feet per flight

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#25]
But it wasn't a plane. It was an ultralight.
View Quote

What incident are you describing ?

Mathias Rust did land a Cessna 172 in Red Square.

The autogyro pictured landed on the Capitol grounds a couple of weeks ago.

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
But it wasn't a plane. It was an ultralight.

I laughed!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#27]
There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old and bold pilots
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:04:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are old pilots and bold pilots but no old and bold pilots
View Quote

That's about the truth
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Odd?

Yes.

While doing his obligatory community service (Zivildienst) in a West German hospital in 1989, Rust stabbed a female co-worker who had rejected him. The victim barely survived. He was convicted of attempted manslaughter and sentenced to two and a half years in prison, but was released after 15 months.[11] Since then he has lived a fragmented life, describing himself as a "bit of an oddball."[12] After being released from court, he converted to Hinduism in 1996 to become engaged to a daughter of an Indian tea merchant.[13] In 2001, he was convicted of stealing a cashmere pullover and ordered to pay a fine of DM 10,000, which was later reduced to DM 600.[4][11] A further brush with the law came in 2005, when he was convicted of fraud and had to pay €1,500 for stolen goods.[11] In 2009 Rust described himself as a professional poker player.[14] Most recently, in 2012, he described himself as an analyst at a Zurich-based investment bank.[12]
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathias_Rust
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top