Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2001 5:16:01 AM EDT
It's the fighting art that the IDF and Israeli police use, and it's being taught to some PDs here in the states now, apparently.

A friend of mine is taking it, and told me to take a look at it. I went out and took the intro class and I've never sweat so much from an hour of doing anything before. I went back the second night and took another beginners class, then the fight class right after that. Last night was a weapons class and then another beginners class.

It's pretty cool because you don't spar for points, you put on protective gear and go at it at about 75% force. The system is based on natural reactions to attacks, and turning those reactions into brutal responses. There are no high kicks like in tae kwon do, and no katas. A lot of low kicks, none above the groin, from kicking distance, a [b]LOT[/b] of punches (I can barely lift my arms after three consecutive days of classes) and elbows and knees.

If you're interested, take a look at [url]www.kravmaga.com[/url]. There's a locator function on the website that will tell you where the nearest classes are to you.

tired Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:30:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Sweep, I don't know if this is near you at all, but the website shows a location in Griffin, GA, down in the southwest corner of the state.

Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:54:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweep, click the link: [url]http://kravmaga.com/Home/Training_Locator/training_locator.html[/url]

This is the info they have posted about the school in Griffin:

Chappell Karate Academy
110 S. 5th St.
Griffin, GA 79410
770-229-5173

It doesn't look like LEO only to me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:05:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for posting, Jarhead. I'm always interested in new styles.
Coversix

P.S. I just checked the locator. Tell your instructor that all your friends in WA are pissed since they don't have a single school within two states distance. {grumble}
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#6]
This post woke me up, and I found a potential studio near the house.  Always wanted to try this style but the commute to L.A. was too long.

Thanks for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top