Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 8:00:40 PM EDT
My friend brought over a guy he knows thats in the Air Force and my friend was telling him about my AR. I brought it out and showed him and the drooling commenced.

Kinda makes up for all the loads of cash you dump into em to see someone react to your gun that way
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#1]
He was Air Force, don't read too much in to it. You could have brought a a Red Ryder and told him it was a .50 caliber machinegun.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He was Air Force, don't read too much in to it. You could have brought a a Red Ryder and told him it was a .50 caliber machinegun.

LOLZ, nah he knew his stuff

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOLZ, nah he knew his stuff

I'm sure he did, he might even have fam fired with an old A1.

He's pretty much an expert.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Not my AR but A local LEO was obviously jealous when I let him shoot my FNP-45 and he went back to his XD-45. Plus I was cloverleafing in the x ring while he shotgunned his target.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]

It's been 50/50...

I've had some that said...  "Holy shit, you can own one after the .mil? fucking cool"  

and the other half said "why do you want that piece of shit?"

I'm happy with what I have.  I figured why not own the weapon that I've shot Expert 3x in the Corps.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
No never ran an ar 15 through the system, but did run am m1A, I was disapointed,to the max.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#7]
My old college roomate, who had been a USMC gun mechanic, told me my first build was "not too shabby".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Most of the Army folks I know have about as much interest in my ARs as most cops do in their duty weapons.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
A couple of weeks ago, I had been out shooting, then we went by my wife's cousins house.  While we were there, I showed her husband my AR.  He picked it up, and immediately started to disassemble the thing.  That seemed a bit odd to me, but he looked like he knew what he was doing, so I went along with it.

After looking everything over, he said "Looks good", handed it back to me, and said "I've got something you can have that you might like."  He went in the back, came back out, and dropped in my lap... a C-mag.  In the carrier, with lube, manual, and all.  I kid you not.

I knew he'd been in Iraq three times, and was just about to ship out to Afghanistan, but I didn't realize that his job is weapons repair.  I know that "looks good" isn't much of a compliment... but a free C-Mag sure is.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
No .mil admirers, but I've had lots of cops drooling over my suppressors...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had both LEO's and .Mil drooling. No biggie.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
"Wow, I hope you have the proper licenses for that!"
....What a stupid ass.
I think he might have been my 2nd uncle... Or a cousin... I dunno. Some idiot I'm related to.
Another guy in the Coast Guard was pretty impressed... "Does this have full auto or burst?"

(Not in a "does it have it" way, though... More like a "which one does it have" way.)

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a few shit their pants.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I've gotten everything from...

HOLY SHIT STOLEN .GOV PROPERTY!!!

Dude you can buy one of those!!!

Nice rifle, mind if I hold it?

Dude that's awesome!

Why do you have that piece of shit, AK's are better.

Where's your FA or Burst setting?

to....

....meh

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
im not at all military, but the usaf has their own special forces, therefore guns are needed, not just missles and bombs.  my buddy is a gunsmith for the usaf, and is currently overseeing the sniper rifle program (he cannot talk to specifically) but he knows his shit.  When he comes home i always try to pick his brain when he comes home. recently he loved my most recent build, i suddenly got barrel chested and finally felt equal!!!lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I drool all over my rifles all the time.

What's the best solvent for drool?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Around here, it seems like it's the military guys that compliment your bangsticks, and the civies that are scared of them and run around saying "those are for killing!"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Most .mil only see their duty weapons twice a year for qualification, unless they are deployed.

The vast majority are support folks who only get rudimentary training with the M-16/M-4. They don't know shit about accesories or how to customize an AR.

I've been in for 14 years and you would cry if I told you some of the stupid questions I get from Joes. It boggles the mind that our basic training has devolved as much as it has.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Gotten 3 .mil compliments.  1 Army, 1 Marine, and 1 Army NG.

ETA:  And the Marine went on to tell me how the 5.56 was specially designed to bounce around inside the body...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I come from a family with a long military tradition, and I also served myself.

Honestly, my experience is that the average non-military person knows as much or more about firearms as the average military person.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a couple people comment on it. Its always nice to get compliments on something you have put money and time into, especially those that are 'in the industry' so to speak.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#23]
occasionally on the TX-DPS Bushmaster M4-clone, I get more compliments on the M1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Honestly, my experience is that the average non-military person knows as much or more about firearms as the average military person.

+1

which is not too much
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#25]
had a Soldier comment on mine
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Just my FIL and his service days ended before the AR-15 was even in service.

His first reaction was to ask if it was legal, after I told him I built it myself he all but called me a liar; (my wife told him she watched me put it together on the kitchen table) and when I told him I got all the parts off the internet he was ready to put it down like he was holding a live snake and was about to call the ATF on me.

I had a hell of a time making him believe everything was on the up and up. That afternoon I grabbed a couple hundred rounds and went to take him shooting, he said he didn't want to shoot all my ammo so I walked him into my closet where my ammo safe is (next to the gun safe) and showed him part of my stash of ammo and he about shit!!!

I'm sure he went back thinking I'm some sort of 'militant' or 'extremist' or some what other. In retrospect it's probably a good idea I didn't open my gun safe and show him the rest of my rifles and pistols ammo and mags, he'd of had a fucking coronary....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#27]
My Security Police cousins loved my AR.  Though they both made fun of me for having only two positions on the selector.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Some Navy SWC guys were at our range and I handed them one of my AR-10 300 Ultra mags with an ART scope. One guy asked if he could have about 3 minutes alone with it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Not everyone in the Air Force turns wrenches on planes.  There are those of us that guard airbases, call in air strikes, rescue downed pilots, and run convoys in the worst places in the AOR who know the differences between a Red Ryder and an M2 machine gun.  

I've carried the M9, M16A2, M249, and the M-60.  I was qualed on the Mk-19, trained on the M29A1 81mm mortar, routinely fam fired the M2, shot an M72 LAW rocket, and shot an EOD teams M82 sniper rifle.

While I'd agree that most AF people are entirely clueless on weapons and their uses, there are plenty of people in the AF that know how to employ said weapons with good effect.  

Also a Red Ryder would be nice to shoot people in the ass with when they think it might be ok to break red just once because the SP aren't looking.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not everyone in the Air Force turns wrenches on planes.  There are those of us that guard airbases, call in air strikes, rescue downed pilots, and run convoys in the worst places in the AOR who know the differences between a Red Ryder and an M2 machine gun.  

I've carried the M9, M16A2, M249, and the M-60.  I was qualed on the Mk-19, trained on the M29A1 81mm mortar, routinely fam fired the M2, shot an M72 LAW rocket, and shot an EOD teams M82 sniper rifle.

While I'd agree that most AF people are entirely clueless on weapons and their uses, there are plenty of people in the AF that know how to employ said weapons with good effect.  

Also a Red Ryder would be nice to shoot people in the ass with when they think it might be ok to break red just once because the SP aren't looking.  

did you know that "snipe" was a bird?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:45:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You give the average non-military person too much credit. The average military person at least knows that guns should be cleaned.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Recently showed my AR to some co-workers, they are all former Marines also, and they all loved it. My boss said my gun was better than sex, while he was charging the weapon, very smooth action he added. But hey weapons is kinda my thing, and I'm former Air Force also. But yeah most military guys don't know anything about weapons other than the basic stuff.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:08:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My friend brought over a guy he knows thats in the Air Force and my friend was telling him about my AR. I brought it out and showed him and the drooling commenced.

Kinda makes up for all the loads of cash you dump into em to see someone react to your gun that way

Is AF still considered part of the .mil?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My former Air Force friend see's AR15's and says something along the lines of "good god my M16 was a piece of shit, I'd never want one of those".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is AF still considered part of the .mil?

Hey, don't be AF bashing. It isn't their fault many of them aren't familiar with small arms...

When my USMC cousin visited fresh out of boot, he was quite suprised at how a rifle looked with a finish on it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:55:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:58:03 AM EDT
[#37]
The only .mil people who care are gun nuts themselves.

The rest could give a shit less.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:07:39 AM EDT
[#38]
I went shooting at the public range at Ft Hood with my civie M4 and two LTs came over and asked me about my VLTOR stock. They liked the stock but were asking me more questions about my Yugo M59/66 SKS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I was doing a Small Arms Intro before some range sessions. I had my Colt there.  Mostly because it was in such nice shape compared to anything anybody had seen in the service.  The weapon that got the most compliments was the 1911, not an 1911A1 because, most of the guys had never seen a bona fide WW1 1911.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:55:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's been 50/50...

I've had some that said...  "Holy shit, you can own one after the .mil? fucking cool"  

I'm happy with what I have.  I figured why not own the weapon that I've shot Expert 3x in the Corps.  

Similar experience here. One old vet thinks anything newer than an M-14 is plastic crap you'd buy a WalMart, the other who served in Vietnam thinks M-16s are the greatest thing since God made woman.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Half "dude, that's awesome", half "why didn't you get an AK?".
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#42]

When my USMC cousin visited fresh out of boot, he was quite suprised at how a rifle looked with a finish on it.

your not kiddin either

i shot ARs before boot.. when i got there i was told this is my rifle, many are like it but this one was mine..   my first reaction was "oh what the fuck"

for a while there i thought the M16 was a piece of shit and that ARs are way better and trying to figure out why regular folk get to have the nice ones.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Fairly common occurrence when You own a Colt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#44]
I took my RRA Tact entry up to deer camp a few years ago to show my brother the Fudd (lol).  I broke it one afternoon to oil it up since it had been raining all day.  One of the guys in camp came runnig over asking "Is that what I think it is?!"  I said its a semi automatic AR-15. (at the time I had an ACOG on it)  He asked if he look it over.  He then preceded to say " I wish I had that scope when I walked point in 'Nam!"  He then tore it down and asked if he could clean ti and oil it.  I said sure knock yourself out. He brought it back to me in about a hour and said thank you.  He didn't know civis could own them.  I explained the laws to him and I saw a glimmer in his eye.  I talked to his nephew last year and he said Dave has bought carbine and rifle since.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#45]
I have had several military guys, both Army, Navy, and Coast Guard, really drool over my 10Ts, especially after shooting them with, and without, the suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#46]
A client of mine is an active-duty Marine, who was recently home between deployments.  I ran into him at the range, and he gave mine a mild compliment, and popped off a few rounds with it.  Said it felt as good as his duty rifle –– which you might say is damning with faint praise, except that mine's a "lowly" M&A midlength built on a Rock River lower.  Gives me some extra confidence that I really did get a very good value for the relatively little money I have in it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top