Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
6/2/2020 2:34:59 PM
Posted: 1/9/2005 3:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/10/2005 5:06:10 PM EDT by TheOtherDave]
Well, that's my dilemma for the week. I was 'volunteered' for a split shift in mid December and it started this week. I recently became engaged to an OR Nurse who works from 9 to 9pm, my shift is from 11 to 9pm. We both work 60+ hours a week, and I typically get 1 day off a month unless there's a holiday weekend and they are feeling generous.

The thing that really sucks is that the tool and die trade has been really hit and miss since just before 9-11. I have been laid off many times since then and this is the first time I have had benefits since it all started. The company is a really, really good one to work for but I already give them too much and don't believe I am being paid what I am worth.

Just venting and getting ready to lay it all out for them tomorrow.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:36:22 PM EDT
DAVE SLOW DOWN BRO.Keep your job, but start looking for another .Never throw out the old water till you have the new.Once you have a new gig lined up then lay it on the line .Tell em want you want and if you dont get it walk
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:37:30 PM EDT
How long will you have to work the goofy shift? Forever?
Maybe you can work out a deal to try and move off it in a few months?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:49:20 PM EDT

Isn't that  putting you getting off the same time as your lady? I don't see the problem with that.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:59:27 PM EDT
One Day off a month = mental or physical breakdown at a young age.

Look for another job.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:07:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By IRONWILL:
DAVE SLOW DOWN BRO.Keep your job, but start looking for another .Never throw out the old water till you have the new.Once you have a new gig lined up then lay it on the line .Tell em want you want and if you dont get it walk

And 1.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:12:10 PM EDT
I didn't know my employer had any operational plants in Michigan
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:23:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:28:22 PM EDT
If its a good job with good benefits just work through it.
I know the shift sucks but you know in this trade its either feast or famine.
In 6 months it might be a whole different story.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:35:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 4:37:08 PM EDT by chrome1]
Luckily or unluckily , my so called job , skill set , whatever , has
always been in high demand . There was always a better offer
in the wings .

Knowing that you will work tomorrow if you want to , tends
to change how you look at employment .

So yeah I'd quit because of a shift change . Hell , I quit once
because I didn’t like my parking spot
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:46:29 PM EDT
I don't plan to walk into my boss tomorrow and tell him that I'm rolling my toolbox out the door if he doesn't put me back on 1st shift, but I will tell him that he is going to force my hand and make me look for work. One of the things I learned when I got laid off is that it's better to have a job and want one than not have a job and need one.

There are a few compounding issues.. The first is that there are people in the ship that have been there longer than I have and want to move to my shift. If I go and tell him I can't work this shift, he may be forced to stand his ground or face a bunch of pissed off employees. This is why I am ready to lose my job over this.

As far as the hours go, my trade has always been a 55-58hr a week job since I started in 1991.  as my career has progressed, so have my job responsibilities and unfortunately my employers have to rely on me too much. This has become a chronic problem in the trade lately as the 'old school' diemakers have retired and budgets are forcing stamping plants to keep labor costs low. "Doing More with Less" is the phrase here. In my plant we have only abour 14 toolmakers to support a 300 man operation...

As far as the Union thing goes, there are benefits to being in a Union shop-and a lot of detriments. Like anything else, if you are skilled and motivated you don't need the protections of a union to be successful and happy in your work. Part of being motivated is seeing your employer through the lean times, even when it means working a lot of hours. My particular company is family owned and they give a lot back. I don't mind that they ask a lot, but they want me to give up 80% of the available time I have with my Fiance. That ain't happening.

Rustygun: Yes, we get off at the same time. The problem is that it only leaves an hour and a half to get her fed, showered and forced to endure lousy-tired-sex. Since I work 7 day, weekends don't mean anything.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:11:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:15:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2005 5:23:54 PM EDT by JohnBlade23]

Originally Posted By IRONWILL:

Words of wisdom. I live by this rule. I think the only way I would ever walk off a job without having another one is to have to whip someone's ass at work.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:32:40 PM EDT
If you're working a seven day week almost every week, find out what the workplace health and safety regulations are in your state. It wouldn't suprise me if it's state regulation that your employer can't expect you to work 7 days a week for as long as it sounds like you do (or they have to give you extra benefits such as increased penalty rates or extra days to your annual vacation time). A union could tell you that, but so could whichever department of your state government covers workplace health and safety. The answer could be only a phonecall away. You may want to keep who you work for anonymous at first, in case the government dept assumes you're making a complaint and decides to send someone to inspect your employer based on your call. If it gets traced back to you and your employer finds out, it could cause problems for you.

Once you know what the regulations are, and assuming they support you having more time away from the job each week, no need to go to your employer and start making demands as if you'll report them. Try to put an angle on it that if you aren't getting enough time away from work, it affects your health, your productivity, probability of accidents occouring due to long term stress, etc. Put it in the context that you'll be better rested, healthier, more productive and a safer worker when you get a reasonable amount of time away from the job each week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:40:25 PM EDT
TheOtherDave,

You gotta figure out how much that job is worth to you.

Is it worth all the hours and now the shift work?

If not, grab the yellow handles and PULL. (eject)

Coupla years ago when the SBC Center - San Antonio Spurs Arena - was going up, a bunch of us worked almost two straight months, 68 hrs a week.

After the first month, you could of taken my paycheck - I couldn't of cared less.  

Working yourself into the ground will not help anyone.

If you're not happy, the possibililty exists that you will make those around you unhappy.

Now, with this Toyota plant kicking off here in San Antonio, there are rumors that it will be worked 3 shifts.

I'm not gonna work nights for anyone.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:47:09 PM EDT
I was asked to volunteer (basically at gunpoint) to go on the night shift on Jan8 1992. At the time I was really bummed out about it. Worked on days for 13 years, good employee yada yada....  Told myself  it could either be the best thing or the worst thing to happen to me... I decided to just roll with it... Turns out to be a great opportunity.....  Noone wants to work nights so the management just leaves me alone. Extra pay for nights / weekends is like a 40% raise. No office BS, etc. Great place to ride out corporate downsizing.  Let me spend a lot of time with my kids when they where growning up...  Just ride with it for a while, it may work out for you. If not line up something else before you shoot yourself in the foot... Good luck!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:55:15 PM EDT
I have worked nights before, over half my working life. The problem is not that, only that I can't see my fiance. AFAIK, there are no rules in my state regarding how many hours/days they can work you. I could argue that sundays are a religious legal issue, but that still only puts me home one day a week.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:57:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:59:22 PM EDT
I haven't, but I do remember having to do that to several employees who worked for me. Some quit, most didn't.

It sucked, but there it is.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:02:42 PM EDT
The relationship thing complicates it, otherwise Id be glad for shifts like that.

I never left a job over the shifts they gave me, I just become comfortable with it, but Im a strange person and my lack of relationships and other things is somewhat due to me going after money.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:16:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
Quitters can always find a reason to quit.

Slaves can always find reasons to stay chained up.

Everytime a company took too much of me, with nothing in return, I left to more fertile fields and - lo and behold - I'm more comfortable now than ever.

I left a job that put me on 2nd shift, when doing so meant I saw my daughter 1 day a week during school. Intolerable for me, as a parent. Kids come first, even if it means I work for less. I walked out, found a new job and never looked back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:23:20 PM EDT
are you paid salary or by the hour?  If your paid by the hour, stop complaining and appreciate the fact that your boss is giving you so many hours.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:37:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Look for another job.

Uh… BS many of our grandparents worked 7 days a week sun up till sun down.

You can take anything while you are young just ask our soldiers at war… I don’t suspect they get many days off during the month and there ain’t nobody shooting at you either.

You don’t have any real stress you just don’t like your job. If you don’t like the job find another one but don’t quit until you do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:41:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jkstexas2001:

Look for another job.

I was able to deal with it, it depends on the person, I wish I was doing it again, it was all soo simple.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:53:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
...and I typically get 1 day off a month unless there's a holiday weekend and they are feeling generous. ...

patently illegal, unless you are volunteering for the hours when asked.

I've left two drives, 1 when they relocated and tacked an additional 20mi to an already 60mi cross-Los-Angeles commute. The second was after the Northridge earthquake and freeway collapse, turning a 90-min roundtrip into a 3-1/2hr one.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:55:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By swingset:

Originally Posted By David_Hineline:
Quitters can always find a reason to quit.

Slaves can always find reasons to stay chained up.

Everytime a company took too much of me, with nothing in return, I left to more fertile fields and - lo and behold - I'm more comfortable now than ever.

I left a job that put me on 2nd shift, when doing so meant I saw my daughter 1 day a week during school. Intolerable for me, as a parent. Kids come first, even if it means I work for less. I walked out, found a new job and never looked back.

Life is TOO SHORT to spend all your time at work.  You may look back on things twenty years from now and regret spending all that time at work and missing out on the more important things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:42:09 AM EDT
I dunno, maybe some of ou guys didn't read my post, maybe you did... The number of hours and number of days I work is not the issue here. The issue is that I will not see my Fiance. I literally get about an hour and a half per night to spend with her, and it's not quality time because she has to go to bed. I have made the decision that the money and benefits are not worth it to me, I am only regretting that I might be losing an otherwise great job.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:24:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:05:42 PM EDT
Well, I talked to him (Da Man), he listened to me but couldn't make any promises. He asked for few days to see what he could arrange i.e. interdepartmental transfer, and I hope he's not trying to buy time. He's been pretty straight up with me so far (he hired on about 2 months ago, good guy, former Paratrooper) so I don't have a reason to doubt him, but from the reaction I got this is really going to put him in a pickle. He understood where I was coming from, and I understand where he's at and that he could make me any promises today.

What I'll do is give him until the weekend and if I haven't heard anything, I'll look for another job.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:29:12 PM EDT

Gotta do what you gotta do. This is your one and only life, not a warm up. Pray hard.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:05:39 PM EDT
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:09:56 PM EDT
I never had to take a job.  I chose to.  I never had to quit a job.  I chose to.

No one is making you do anything.  Life is made up of choices and consequences.  This rule applies to everyone, including you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:28:07 PM EDT
Top Top