Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2017 11:42:45 AM EDT
By higher end I mean Glock, Sig, Smith, Ruger......what did you do? Get rid of it? Polish?

My policy if I get a gun that hangs, get rid of it. The only one that came close was a little Iver Johnson .22. It was actually my dads backup weapon when he was a LEO. The problem was that IJ went out of business and it was close to impossible to get mags or other things for it.

so....model? Did you fix or dump? If fixed...what was the fix?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
In before high end 1911s

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Kimber thread?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Those aren't higher end semi autos

Send it back to manufacturer for fixing
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kimber thread?
View Quote
Kimber thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
HK Thread?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Kimber thread?
View Quote
Yep.  Had a compact Kimber that was a nightmare.  Someone's else's nightmare now
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think of it as high end, but since you said Ruger, I have a 2008 LCP that's been back to the factory 3 times.  I carry it all the time now that it seems to work (ran probably 300 rounds through it to test the last fix (new barrel).
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Sig 220. Failure to Feed often, brand new right out of box. Sent it back, then sold it once I got it back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes. Kimber Ultra Pro Carry,  Wouldn't feed anything but 200 grain H&G 68's.  Now it feeds everything after three years of polishing and replacing extractor.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
The only gun company I can think of that seems to have consistent problems is Kimber. I won't even consider buying one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, go be poor somewhere else
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Kimber thread.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#13]
So funny I said it twice.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep.

Kimber.  Sold it after letting the buyer know about the problems.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
HK Thread?
View Quote
Count me in.  USP 40C.  Broke after first shot, slide locked, didn't eject brass.

Repaired, returned with no explanation of what had occurred, sold the day after return.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Kimber, I'm sure someone will mention Glock's brass landed on my hat keruffle but let's go with kimber.  

I had to unfuck a les baer someone monkeyed with but that's wasn't the manufacturers fault.  now it's as reliable as any of the Glocks.

.22 pistols from Sig , I shot someone elses and it pissed me off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#17]
S&W MP22 pistol. On it's third trip to S&W they are finally replacing it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Factory new Glock 17L jams every other magazine. Going to send it in to them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Those are not high end.
I had a remington 1911 that failed about 1 times per 50 rounds. It was their first R1 carry which still had a 5" barrel for some reason. It was their most expensive 1911 at the time. I gave Remington 2 tries to correct it. I sold it back to the dealer at a big loss. We tried polishing the feed ramp, changing the slide stop (excessive copper buildup), different magazines, different ammo. If I can't depend on a gun it doesn't belong on my nightstand nor my safe.

I had a cabot which is high end that also failed to feed often. Some brands like winchester and PPU fired perfectly, while Remington and Federal American Eagle would fail the plunk test. There would be anywhere from 1 out of 50 to 7 out of 50 that would fail the plunk test in a box. I ended up reaming the chamber .002" and it's been perfect since. High end 1911s have much tighter tolerances and is a little more picky about ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a sig 220, would never work right. It got sent in a dozen times and everytime would have a different problem. I really wanted to like it but it was junk.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Sig X5 import. Constantly had light primer strikes and super finicky about ammo, sent it back to Sig twice and still doesn't quite run perfectly.

Part of me wants to sell it but I would feel bad about making it someone else's problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:02:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Fucking Sphinx couldn't go three rounds without choking.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:04:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Kimber thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kimber thread?
Kimber thread.
LOL
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Factory new Glock 17L jams every other magazine. Going to send it in to them.
View Quote
FTF, FTE?  Guessing FTE or stovepipe.  Ammo?  Try some speer lawman if you can find it, if it will not cycle that it's broke.  

PM if you like, i used to buy a shit ton of used glocks that had "issues" there are some things that you can try before you send it.  If you do, they are good about making issues right.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#25]
5" Kimber 1911.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
By higher end I mean Glock, Sig, Smith, Ruger......what did you do? Get rid of it? Polish?

My policy if I get a gun that hangs, get rid of it. The only one that came close was a little Iver Johnson .22. It was actually my dads backup weapon when he was a LEO. The problem was that IJ went out of business and it was close to impossible to get mags or other things for it.

so....model? Did you fix or dump? If fixed...what was the fix?
View Quote

GLOCK SMITH RUGER are high end firearms??
uh, no..
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Let's see, the worst offenders I've had were a Colt Gold Cup 1911, a Mauser Hsc and most recently, a CZ P07.

The store I bought the Colt from eventually, after a trip back to Colt, let me trade it for something else of equal value, the Mauser I sold to a friend who collected German pistols and didn't have one of them, and the CZ, after TWO trips back to the factory, I traded in for an HK VP9 at a substantial loss.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:14:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

GLOCK SMITH RUGER are high end firearms??
uh, no..
View Quote
I suspect by "high end" he means guns that aren't noted for their unreliability, for example Taurus or Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Of those brands you mentioned, I generally dump em as they should be more flexible with different types of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]
High end glock Wtf .  I ask myself WWKD ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Kimber thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Had a German made Walther PPK/S about 30 years ago.  A beautiful gun but it would misfeed, stove pipe, or otherwise jam every 20 rounds or so.  Changed magazines, had a smith polish it, and still I couldn't count on it.  Ended up selling it to buy my first duty gun, a Smith & Wesson Mod. 19.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#33]
 Nothing high end about Ruger, or Glock.

Had a Kimber had to go back to  NewYork  to get  " Fixed" Kimber failed to  make  the pistol function.
  4 inch carry gun,  would choke on factory  Federal 230 gr FMJ, at least one failure to feed  per each magazine. That was best case. Gun refused to feed  JHP of any  type.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]
It was my first 1911 and my second pistol, but a beautiful Colt Officer's ACP in bright mirror chrome, or whatever the early 90s offering was.

Minty used and I got to test it out before I bought it.  Came with a silver laser module that kind of matched.

First time I fired it, the front sight flew off never to be seen again.  Replaced that and bought the pistol for ~$800.

That's when the stove-piping began.  Every freakin' magazine had at least one, perhaps two.  Brought it into the GunDoc here in Miami and ~$300 later, it was still doing that shit.

I brought it and the laser down to the Miami gun show one weekend and traded them both, plus some cash, for a brand new Sig 220, which I still have 20+ years later.

Great looking gun, probably needed a complete spring overhaul, but I was a noob then and just couldn't get it working, so I traded/sold it at a big loss, but I was happy...happy I say!

It's the only gun I've ever sold, or traded.  Had a Mustang Pocketlite stolen, but that wasn't by choice.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Kimber thread?
View Quote
First non GI 1911 I tried to fire was a Kimber. And it wouldn't feed. Luckily it wasn't mine. Scared me away from 1911s for a long time. 
And don't forget, One Year Warranty. Kimber
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
CZ100. Traded it for an 870 as soon as it came back from CZ.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#37]
HK USPc 9mm

Several different mags and ammo. Would always get one or two FTF. Gone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope, all my high end pistols are Sigs, need I say anymore?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:11:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought a NIB Springfield Champion Mil-Spec years ago that could never get through a mag.
Then it started doubling. Sent it back and it quit going auto, but still jammed every mag.
Tried every mag I could think of, it jammed. Changed to a Wilson BP extractor, still jammed. No pattern to the jams, FTF, FTE, stovepipes, it knew them all.
Then it started doubling again and I gave up and stashed it in the back of the safe. Fuck it.
Two years ago I dumped every part out of that turd and replaced with ED Brown, C&S and Wilson. The only stock parts are the frame, slide and trigger. Even the plunger tube was changed.
Sonofabitch works great now.  

My Gov't model Springfield has been flawless out of the box.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Send it back to manufacturer for fixing
View Quote
This post nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:16:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm guessing that you're talking about a 1911 that you foolishly paid more than $1000. for, correct?

I mean, other than the fact that there isn't technically a 1911 in the world that I would consider "high end" in
any sort of way, other than the price some poor schmuck was tricked into paying.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

FTF, FTE?  Guessing FTE or stovepipe.  Ammo?  Try some speer lawman if you can find it, if it will not cycle that it's broke.  

PM if you like, i used to buy a shit ton of used glocks that had "issues" there are some things that you can try before you send it.  If you do, they are good about making issues right.
View Quote
So good and so uber reliable as any Glock that they sent me back a gen 3 G20 three times, and each time it broke again

The fourth time I had it sent back, I sold it afterwards.

Nothing is infallible, that fallacy with Glocks never failing and Glock "making it right" needs to die.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes. A kimber classic custom that would repetitiously ftrtb. Didnt matter what mags id use, Wilson Combat, Chip Mccormick, GI mags. Changed recoil springs, extractors, brouhht it to a well reknowned 1911smith in my area ro have the feed ramp polished. No effect. The gun still did it. It was aggravating as hell and the factory was of no help. Finally traded it away. Also had a sig p220 that would not fully chamber occasionally.  Got rid of it and bought a Glock 19, which was my first Glock.

I now own 4 Glocks. I've been happy with them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:24:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
shitpost
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I had a 4553 that would only shoot ball and 230 grn Hydras. It would choke on everything else but was flawless with those two rounds.

I sold it after explaining to the guy exactly what was wrong with it but he said he was happy carrying Hydra's and I never heard back from him. It was weird, like "Twilight Zone" stuff.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Fucking Sphinx couldn't go three rounds without choking.
View Quote
LOL... I laugh with you, having been suckered into buying the predecessor to that line, the venerable Solothurn-marked Action Arms AT-84. Biggest POS I ever owned--Went back to the importer three times, never worked.

Buddy of mine bought a Sphinx, against my advice. His experience was exactly like yours.

That company is full of fail, and always has been--If they were a US-based firm, and actually selling in a market where bad guns led to commercial consequences, they'd be toast. Since they're selling mostly in Europe, they can get away with selling shit.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Colt's Series 70 1911 in .45ACP.  

Bought it new when I was in the Army back in 74.  Jammatic.  

Over years, I polished every mating metal part on the slide and barrel.  Still jammed.  

Every kind of ammo.  Still jammed.  

Many different high and low end mags.  Still jammed.

Took it gun smiths.  Still jammed.  

Finally replaced the stupid, asinine pronged barrel bushing with a GI bushing in the mid-1990's.  It's worked great ever since.  

But since then all I ever really buy are Glocks.  Combat ready out of the box.  They won't get you killed or cost you more money.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't really consider them "high end" but I've owned two Kahr P45's and both had real issues. The last one I had went back to the factory and after one range trip, after it'd been "repaired", it went on the chopping block and was sold off. Neither were reliable and therefor couldn't fill the "compact self defense" role they were bought for.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Kimber thread?
View Quote
My Kimber Tactical Ultra II works reliably- only had one stovepipe and that was after my wrist was limp after 500 rounds- but it does throw the empties in completely random directions, up to and including bouncing off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Colt's Series 70 1911 in .45ACP.  

But since then all I ever really buy are Glocks.  Combat ready out of the box.  They won't get you killed or cost you more money.
View Quote
That is not true.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top