Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 8:07:11 AM EDT
I have...my S&W 5946 is all scratched up after attempting to subdue a gunpoint robbery suspect.

The situation: Partner has 1 of 3 perps on wall attempting to cuff. I have my gun out to cover my partner. First two bad guys cuffed no problem, 3rd perp wants to resist being cuffed and gives partner really hard time. Other cops are arriving very quickly to assist (10-13, 10-85, NYPD Officer needs assistance!) Without losing eye-contact with fighting felon I attempt to reholster my firearm but miss. FUMBLE!!! OH SHIT!!! Arriving cops see my gun fall to the floor and think it's the perps gat. Me, my partner, and perp end up on the bottom of a HUGE police pile on . My S&W, now cosmetically damaged, was recovered safely.  Funny? A little bit. Seriousness? Could have been Bye-Bye Ray if perp managed to recover my gun!

Be careful out there...
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
About 13 years ago I was chasing a drug suspect through the projects. He gets into a building with me on his heels. I instinctively touched for my revolver and it wasn't there, too late. I took him down empty handed. Luckily I got him outside and there in the grass in front of the building was my S&W M-66. I had a very bad feeling when I realized it came out of my holster. Fortunately it was late at night and there was no one around to pick it up for me. Hey, that sh*t happens when your running and jumping what with the gear we used back then. The holsters weren't all that secure but I could clear leather quick.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Funny? A little bit. Seriousness? Could have been Bye-Bye Ray if perp managed to recover my gun!

Be careful out there...
View Quote

Guaranteed, there is always at least one gun in the fight, it belongs to whoever gets it first.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this the guy you went to court on last month?

View Quote

Yup, you know the fun details of that story! BTW, we had a mistrial for that Bloods Gang Member...11 jurors said Guilty, 1 refused to deliberate (Mother Fuc&in NYC liberal assh@le b!tch, don't call me when he's jacking you!)
It's so frustrating when you recover a stolen gun, arrest the bad guy with incriminating evidence on his person, have cooperating witnesses/complainants, and give excellent testimony in court only to have a hung jury. Even the defense lawyer knew he wasn't going to win. WTF?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have...my S&W 5946
now cosmetically damaged, was recovered safely.  Funny? A little bit. Seriousness? Could have been Bye-Bye Ray if perp managed to recover my gun!
View Quote

Doesn't your dept recommend that you carry your pistol with the safety in the "ON" position? If an unauthorized person gets your gun, in order to fire it, the safety would have to be moved to the "OFF" position.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have...my S&W 5946
now cosmetically damaged, was recovered safely.  Funny? A little bit. Seriousness? Could have been Bye-Bye Ray if perp managed to recover my gun!
View Quote

Doesn't your dept recommend that you carry your pistol with the safety in the "ON" position? If an unauthorized person gets your gun, in order to fire it, the safety would have to be moved to the "OFF" position.
View Quote

Safety? What safety? The only safety we have is to keep your finger off the trigger unless you intend to fire. (The S&W 5946 is a DAO semi-auto 9mm with a NYC authorized 12lb trigger pull)
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, what he said!!!  There is no safety on our LE model Smiths or Glocks.  I was on a footpost at the 59th street bridge yesterday with 4 National Guardsman, I asked one of them about their Berettas.

LISTEN TO THIS SH!T!!!!

They are under orders to carry their weapons with the safety ON, AND NOTHING CHAMBERED!!!!!
If some Jackass comes along and pulls a gun on them at a carstop (yes they are directing traffic and doing carstops) and starts blasting away, They have to

1. Undo "latch" on the top of their Holster.

2. Flip off the top cover on their Military style holster

3. Rack The slide

4. Take the safety off

5. Ask "Am I dead yet?"

6. Hopefully they are still breathing and can squeeze off a coupla shots.

Is it me or is that crazy?  I just dont see the point of carrying around an "empty" gun.

And yes, I havedropped my gun as well.  TWICE.  both times while at the range with the gun in the holster and the slide locked back (Range Rules).  Twice at firearms inspection the armorer asked me to "Draw and Present" and twice when I popped the snap, the gun sprung out before I could even knew what happened.  Talk about embarrassing.  Yes it was on two separate occasions.  And thenk god it is a trailer with a PLYWOOD floor.  Duh, maybe I should be more careful next time at firearms inspection.

STeven  
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I know what you guys are talking about...

My Sig P226 has more pits from falling on the concrete and scratches from being kicked around on the aformentioned it isn't even funny.

I prefer to think of them as enhancements that allow me to get a better grip on the slide.

Ya buy it to use, not to look at....right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Lanyard. Around the neck. Down the sleeve.Dog clasp.Hook to the main spring housing (1911)on approach.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Bailing out of our raid truck on a search warrant. House was off the street, down a long flight of concret stairs. As I drew my Glock 19 from my thigh rig , I slipped on the stairs , I recover , but Glock goes flying down stairs , PAST a couple of Brother Officers , bouncing at least 4 times off the concret. We all keep going and I scoop up my pistol at the bottom  , raid goes good , and the most amazing part is Glock is no worse for the wear , NOT a scratch on it , no sight damage , nothing. Of course I remember back in the 80's , Glock was dropping them out of helicoppers at 100 ft to prove how tough they were. I still take ribbing to this day about "throwing my gun at a crack house". SH*T HAPPENS !!
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Met the family at a Wnedy's for lunch break.

Sat down last and snagged my thumbreak and Glock grip on the friggin seat back. Pistol rattles to floor noisily. Everyone nearby stopped eating in mid-bite, and I sheepishly stood up and chased the darn thing.

Did get some shocked looks when I said, "Don't worry folks, it's just my daughters gun!".

Wadda going to do???

Flinch
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Never the Duty gun, but had my back up S&W M-42 (one of the old ones with the grip safety) exit its Galco Ankle holster (the one w/o the strap) in the front yard of a customers house after fighting knife armed bad guy.
I had taught DT classes with the same ankle rig occupied by an aluminum cast duplicate, and it never came out.
Needless to say, the ankle rig is a new one, with a retention strap...
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Not exactly, but I watched someone drop my gun.

We were at the range and an officer from a fellow agency wanted to shoot my Sig P229.  It's a great gun.  Robar NP3 finish, night sights, LaserMax, Hogue grips.  Works well for me.

So I'm in the confrence room, looking out onto the range and this guy goes to set the thing down after putting some rounds downrange.  As he sets it on the table it falls to the ground (read: concrete!).  I stood up just as he was bending over to pick it up... and he accidently kicks it about four feet out onto the range (sliding accross the concrete floor!).  The range goes cold... I get hot... He recovers my Sig and I survey the damage (which I expect has occurred).

Other than a small dent on the rear Trijicon sight, and a scuff mark on the rubber handgrips, nothing.  Something to say for that NP3. I love it.

MSH441
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
I have never dropped it intentionaly. Does that count? I dropped it trying to holster it on a night when the windchil was -32 F. Didn't work too well.

I also got into a fight while weaing a leg holster setup. My holster got ripped (defect from the factory) and the gun fell out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top