Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2001 5:45:52 AM EDT
I have always wondered what it would be like if I was pulled over when CCW or going to or from the range with a car full of weapons.

Do you inform the Cop that you are carrying or that you have a few rifles and pistols with you?  Do you keep your mouth shut?

The last thing I would want is some Cop freaking out after accidently seeing my Glock or AR.

Has this ever happened to you?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree. Didn't ask. Didn't tell.
My LEO friends say to inform them that you're packing right off. I have yet to do that yet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#3]
been pulled over plenty of times. worst incident was when he unloaded the pistol and ran the serial #... No biggy.

Coming home from camping two female officers from Gilbert PD (city) pulled us over w/ shotguns, my AR, etc.  They just asked questions like "is that fully automatic?"

For the most part LEO's in AZ don't hassle us too much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah, the one time that a cop freaked me out is when we were shooting somewhere that we didn't realize was in the city limits. They just asked us to leave. But my AR was laying on a soft case an the cop said "Nice Pre-Ban".

that was the first time i had an encounter with an officer who knew anything about AR-15's, Let alone pre vs. postban.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I often wonder the same thing. They haven't approved the CCW here in Ohio yet but I often travel to the range with a trunk full of AR's and a few AK's and think "if I get pulled over and the guy decides to be a jerk and search the car, I'm going to have one major headache on my hands".

That's why I always drive my work car to and from gun shows and the range (tan Honda Accord ). I figure I have less chances in that than my black sports car...just begging to be pulled over.

BTW, I would keep my mouth shut until he asked to see in the trunk....
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Due to my impatience with other drivers, I've been pulled over while CCW a few times. Never had a problem. When they ask for my ID, I just say, "before I do that I want to let you know I have a CCW permit and a pistol on my right hip." Sometimes they ask me to hand them the gun first, sometimes they don't. One DPS officer had me get out of my truck and turn around so that he could remove my Glock from my holster. Whatever they have to do, within reason, for officer safety is fine. I think most of them have seen the CCW as a "good guy" card.

-Andy

"Can you describe the suspect?" "Um, it was some guy in a hat...."
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I hit one of those friggin DL checks in NC a few months ago.  Required to tell them when I am armed.  He didn't blink and let me on my way.

It was still a 20 minute delay that resulted in my being late for work.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Coming home from camping two female officers from Gilbert PD (city) pulled us over w/ shotguns, my AR, etc.  They just asked questions like "is that fully automatic?"
View Quote

Shoulda invited them to go shooting with ya.. :)
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been pulled over once with an elcheapo Hunter holster strapped over the driver door pull-handle with an S&W .357Mag in it doing a night deposit at a bank.

The Cop didn't even mention anything about it.  He just wanted to see what I was doing there.

When I asked him why he didn't say anything he responded:

"Look, if you have the choice of either being killed in a holdup or having to explain to the law why you were carrying the gun that you shot the robber with, what would be your choice?"

"If you are a law abiding citizen, carrying a gun, we'll never know it until you may have to use it."

"Do you really think we're going to give you a hard time if you used it to save your butt against a perp?!"

My son recently got in a serious accident, (knocking down ~70 sq feet of brick bank wall with his car), and had about a dozen guns in his trunk --- from 44 Mag's to a Thompson Sub-Machine gun, (semi-auto).

When he got out of the hospital he just drove to the Highway Patrol station and picked them up, with no hassle.

My vote is to tell them rather than surprise them.

Quoted:
I have always wondered what it would be like if I was pulled over when CCW or going to or from the range with a car full of weapons.

Do you inform the Cop that you are carrying or that you have a few rifles and pistols with you?  Do you keep your mouth shut?

The last thing I would want is some Cop freaking out after accidently seeing my Glock or AR.

Has this ever happened to you?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#10]
In Texas we are required by law to hand over our CHL with our DL if we have any LE contact. If we don't we can lose our liscence for 90 days.

The only time I was pulled over I handed him my CHL and DL. He asked if I was carrying I said yes right hip. He handed me my CHL and DL back, told me I needed to slow down and to have a nice day. [:)]

Edited for typos.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:48:12 AM EDT
[#11]
not pulled over but we were shooting one time on what we didn't know was an unmarked  federal wildlife preserve (I think only waterfowl hunters with steelshot are allowed) and the county mounties roll up, well he tells us we're committing a felony and he makes us all stand aside while he unloads all of our guns (about frikkin THIRTY in all!!) he gets to my AR with 6 loaded 30 rounders next to it, he's unphased by it, it's evilness didn't get to him, he did however look all over the right side of it for a bolt handle, then deciding he'd found it starts pulling back on the f/a plunger, "it's that handle on the back dude" I say Ok he's got it now, and he uses the charging handle back and forth to empty the remaining in the mag, I thought it was funny. He leaves the 6 loaded mags sitting next to the black rifle and he and his one backup did take our IDs and write down all of our s/ns and called them in to check them (hour and a half to do this) and then let us go. Did we get our guns registered here?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:56:58 AM EDT
[#12]
My personal policy is that I will have my permit handy along with my license, registration and insurance card, but I will NOT tell the cop about it UNLESS he asks me to step out of the car.  It isn't required by law in my state and I see no reason to complicate a simple traffic stop.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:58:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Yep!

Turned on the dome light when he approached, handed him by DL and CHL, and he gave me a warning and thank me for making this stop a safe one.

My CHL has probably paid for itself with traffic fines that I was spared. Not to mention that there is no hassle whatsoever at the gunshow when buying new toys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I had to drive down to Texas once and when I got going east of Dallas on I-20 I was haulin' arse and got pulled over by a Texas Dept of Public Safety Officer.  I had a FAL in the back and a loaded 1911 under my seat.  I told him I had a CCW permit and he asked me where the pistol was, then told me to get out of the car.  We talked breifly behind the vehicle- he gave me a warning and told me to slow down.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmm, warnings when people have CC permits.  That is VERY interesting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:49:16 AM EDT
[#16]
In 1999 my wife and I are driving to my 1971 Ford F150 PU to my fathers farm to help him haul hay. I just left my town limits when I saw a bluelight.  Officer approaches my truck, I tell my wife to be calm and make no sudden movements with her hands because my Glock 17 is laying in the middle of the bench seat between us.  I have a ccl however in NC if the gun is not concealed you are not required to mention it.  He says sir your tag has expir.....he then draws his weapon and orders me out of the truck and tells my wife to place her hands on the glass.  He handcuffs me, throws my glock down on the pavement, and searches my truck leaving me standing behind my truck handcuffed wearing the worst clothes I own while my neighbors ride by with their mouths open.  I was charged with carrying a concealed weapon (Fords have a LARGE bench seat and the weapon was NOT concealed.  Furthermore if the weapon was concealed how did he see it?) but it was changed to failure to notify officer that I had a CCL and a Concealed weapon.  A month later all this was dropped in court, but it cost me $500 for a lawyer (I was scared) $95 court cost for the expired tag, and a lot of humiliation.  In doing the right thing and leaving the weapon in the open, I cost myself a lot of headache.  If I would have had it illegally hidden, nothing would have happened.  
   I lost all trust in LEO on that day.  I have never even had a speeding ticked and always considered myself one of the good guys.  Now I feel like all LEO are out to get us and we are all guilty.  Be careful in how you deal with LEO stops.  What might have been no problem to one common sensed officer will get you thrown in jail by a maniacal crazed rookie.  Barney Fife is alive and well in NC.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a brother that had a CCW and he has been pulled over several times over the years. He has always stated he had a CCW and had it in his hand. Has never been hassled the first time. This is out of state also.

He messed around and did something that got the CCW revoked.

Now S.C. law states it is legal to carry a firearm in the glove box of the car.
He has been stopped (yeah he gets stopped alot, you can't pick your relatives) since losing the CCW and when asked for registration and insurance cards he clearly states there is a weapon in the glove box where the cards are and has never had a problem.

As far as LEO's searching your car. Never give permission for a search to your car. If the LEO threatens to go and get a search warrant advise him you want to contact your lawyer immediately and advise the LEO you know he does not have any probable cause. POP - or Pissing Off Police - is not probable cause.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#19]
The podunk towns are the only ones that make me leery. I've been stopped by OHP troopers at the "driver's license checks," but their comments are usually along the lines of, "How do you like that such-and-such gun? None of 'em are loaded, are they?" And that's it. The guys in the podunk towns making $12K a year as cops are the absolute dregs of society. They're the guys running the serial numbers on guns, drawing weapons, searching your vehicle, just acting like morons in general. Wanting to know what caliber of weapon used to qualify for your CCW (as long as it's .45 cal. or less, makes no difference in Oklahoma). Only had that happen once with some clown trying to explain HIS interpretation of CCW law (Amber, OK). I offered to look it up in my CCW manual that happened to be in my glove box and he immediately shut up and let me on my way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#20]
My brother's in-laws were/are both DPS officers ( the father in-law is retired, the mother in-law is not ), and they told me to keep your hands on the wheel and tell them about the weapon before you reach for anything or do anything.  This avoids all unpleasantness everytime.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Icary my wallet in my left rear pocet the on my right hip when i pack.When i get stoped i put both hands on the wheel and wait for the oficer.I give my id with my left hand keeping the other visible and we both go our separete ways.One time i was stoped by a female trooper with 2 rifles on the back in a pack-mat.She ask me if i am military Isaid no i am going shooting and that was it.When they run your name i think your CCW comes up but so what ? you being stoped for a trafik violation not a bank robery
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#22]
generally  if you have guns in your trunk they are not concidered concelled.my sister works for the sheriffs office in west palm beach and their rule is if it more that 2 steps to get the gun its leagle.exampleif its in the trunk first you must exit the car second unlock the trunk thats 2 steps,if its in a case that would be another step and if its unloaded thats an other strp.etc etc.....same as if its in your glove box .fist open box if its locked first your unlock it thats 1 then if its holstered or in a case thats another step and so on .......
now here in N.C. I CARRY ALL THE TIME OPEN ON THE SEAT NEXT TO ME.loaded and ready.ive been pulled twice once the cop said nice gun the other time he never acnoledged it at all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone I know got into an accident.  She gave her carefully-prepared little "I am legally carrying a concealed handgun, officer" speech.  Instead of going to the hospital immediately like she should have, she got to give the speech several times and had to go over the guns she had with her (range trip).

Point being, don't give out information that isn't necessary.

BTW, for whoever commented on warnings instead of tickets -- I've never yet gotten a ticket while I had an NRA bumper sticker on the car.  During the times when I haven't had an NRA bumper sticker on the car, I usually (but not always) have been ticketed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in rural Pa. and there was a road block where the police were looking for a scumbag that had just shot two people and fled on foot. They were trying to make sure he didn't car-jack anyone out of the area. Anyway, when I pulled up, I presented my DL and CCW at the same time, even before he had asked to see my DL. When he saw the CCW, he asked me if I was carrying right then and I told him about the SP101 I had in my pocket. His eyes lit up and with a big smile he said "How do you like that SP101?? I've been carrying one on my ankle as a backup for years and I love it!" I agreed with him he and explained to me what was going on and appologized for the delay. Nice, courtious, and professional all the way.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Here in AL, I am now riding to and fro when I am going shooting with my AR and AK just a'hangin in the gun rack in my F150.  With magazines in.  If they're unloaded, it's legal.  And yuppers, I always have a CCW or 2 in the car/on my person.  Haven't been pulled over just yet, though I expect I will.  Who cares.  I DO SO LOVE GETTING IN FRONT OF CARS WITH LIBERAL STICKERS ON THEM!!!  Oh, the horror they must be feeling.  I'm bad, I know, but I just can't help myself.  Shame, shame, shame.  But it's fun![-!-!-]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:20:59 PM EDT
[#26]
When I get pulled over I generally just get a warning. I have Veteran's tags on my Jeep, and several 1st Cav Stickers on the back. In my checkbook I use for a wallet I have the following in my ID window. On top is my military ID, then under that is my DL, then my CCW license. As soon as I am pulled over, I put my checkbook on the dash and hands on the wheel. When the cop asks for my license, I pick my checkbook up allowing him to see my military ID, remove it, then remove my license. That lets him get a good look at my CCW. Then I hand him the license. I have yet to get a ticket.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In 1999 my wife and I are driving to my 1971 Ford F150 PU to my fathers farm to help him haul hay. I just left my town limits when I saw a bluelight.  Officer approaches my truck, I tell my wife to be calm and make no sudden movements with her hands because my Glock 17 is laying in the middle of the bench seat between us.  I have a ccl however in NC if the gun is not concealed you are not required to mention it.  He says sir your tag has expir.....he then draws his weapon and orders me out of the truck and tells my wife to place her hands on the glass.  He handcuffs me, throws my glock down on the pavement, and searches my truck leaving me standing behind my truck handcuffed wearing the worst clothes I own while my neighbors ride by with their mouths open.  I was charged with carrying a concealed weapon (Fords have a LARGE bench seat and the weapon was NOT concealed.  Furthermore if the weapon was concealed how did he see it?) but it was changed to failure to notify officer that I had a CCL and a Concealed weapon.  A month later all this was dropped in court, but it cost me $500 for a lawyer (I was scared) $95 court cost for the expired tag, and a lot of humiliation.  In doing the right thing and leaving the weapon in the open, I cost myself a lot of headache.  If I would have had it illegally hidden, nothing would have happened.  
   I lost all trust in LEO on that day.  I have never even had a speeding ticked and always considered myself one of the good guys.  Now I feel like all LEO are out to get us and we are all guilty.  Be careful in how you deal with LEO stops.  What might have been no problem to one common sensed officer will get you thrown in jail by a maniacal crazed rookie.  Barney Fife is alive and well in NC.
View Quote

Was that anywhere near Durham, NC. My step Grandfather was jogging in his neighborhood one morning when a Durham cop stops him and ask him way he is wearing a pistol on his hip. The officer harassed him so bad he didn't carry it any more jogging. He told the office that his lawyer said it was ok but that made the cop madder. He was 74 years old at that time with a Mauser .25 that he  got over in Germany when he was fighting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:07:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I got pulled over here in PA by a state trooper for speeding. I had NRA stickers everywhere, and the trooper "I see your a member of the NRA. You don't happen to have any guns? don't make any sudden moves." I told him I didn't(cause I didn't), and he said ok. I still got a ticket(it was a state trooper, they are more anal than locals), but he didn't search me or the car.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:44:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I got a good one.
I attend law school at OU (oklahoma) in a college town. Me and my girl were down on the river having a beer. I had 2 AR's, night vision, 37mm shells, and a Kimber. In Norman we have campus cops (rent a cops that have all the power as a regular cop). Got pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt, told them I had a pistol on me, they asked if I had anyother guns in the car,,,I said I had a couple Ar-15's, they started to laugh, but when I didn't laugh back they searched my car and 6 yes 6 cops pulled up and I was in the back of a cop car for an hour til they sorted it out. They let me go. I was laughing at em..
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I've been pulled 3 times while carrying. In NC you are required to inform any LEO that you are carrying when "approached" (whatever that means). All stops were at night. I used the same procedure each time, Dome light on, window down, hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel. "Officer, I have a CCW permit and I am carrying concealed, what would you like for me to do?" Not yet have they had any concerns about the firearm at all. The first two stops were to ask me if I knew I was "going a little fast". I replied, "no I didn't think so". The response both times was something like,"I clocked you a little over the limit, slow it down and have a nice night" The third stop was by TWO deputies (2 different cars) in full pursuit! I could hearing them talking as they approached the window. They were saying something like, "yeah, we got the sob now". (scared me!) As soon as I said I had a CCW, the first thing said by one of them was "Damn, we got the wrong guy". Turns out, they had mistaken my truck for one owned by a guy that had just been reported by his wife for domestic violence. That guy didn't have a very clean record. They knew that he would have never qualified for a CCW. After asking for my DL and registration, they apoligized, and explained the mix-up. And, BTW, in NC your concealed carry permit number is the same as you DL number with the addition of tne letters "NC" at the end of then number. I suspect they know if you have a permit before they ever stop you if they run a lic. check. The 2 deputies never had time to do a check before they stopped me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#34]
In OREGON (probably in other states too) your CCW comes up on the computer when the police run your plates. They run your plates while waiting for you to pull over.

In Oregon you're requested to inform the officer that you're armed/not armed (if you have a CCW) and if armed, where the gun(s) is/are. Then the officer will decide how to procede.

I routinely carry a handgun with a shotgun loaded behind the seat. Sometimes I have an AR or SKS behind the seat too.

When heading to the range (weekly) I sometimes have several rifles and handguns in the truck -- in addition to the shotgun behind the seat and the handgun on my person.

For these reasons, I'm extra cautious that I'm not going to get pulled over because "I'm in a hurry" or "I get frustrated with other drivers."

I just don't need to explain to an LEO or anyone else why I'm "in a hurry" or "frustrated" or why I flipped off the asshole in the SUV . . . and why I have maybe a dozen firearms and several thousand rounds of ammo in my truck.

It's easier to be nice and not get pulled over than it is to explain why YOU'RE being a jerk and carrying a firearm.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Lock & Load:
If that ever happens again write a letter of complaint to the chief law enforcement officer of the organization the ones that gave you a hard time and cc a copy to the highest political person in that county/city also.

I am a police officer, and have done internal affairs work for my PD. I actually enjoyed it.

Letters of complaint usually are noticed and in the case of an LEO that is running amok the agency he works for almost always wants to know about it so they can fix him or get rid of him.

No decent organization wants a liability running loose.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's an advertisement for an attorney in Indiana:

If I am not under arrest, I wish to freely go on my way. If I am under arrest, please tell me. In either case, I refuse to consent to any search of my person, my effects and property, my premises, or the location of my arrest. I wish to remain silent and to have my attorney present during any questioning, lineup, or search. If you ignore my exercise of these rights, or attempt to obtain a waiver of such rights, then I want to talk to my attorney before any conversation with any law enforcement agent, especially concerning the subject of waiver. I exercise these rights as guaranteed under the statutes and Constitutions of Indiana and the United States.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#37]
CCW? What the hell is that? Hearing all these stories, too bad the PRK doesn't really know about "CCW"
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top