Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 2:30:18 PM EDT
I thought of this because we had a female deputy/bailiff leave her weapon in a stall of the little girls room at the coart house, it was found by a civilian, who I guess promptly reported it to someone (?), she (the deputy) got the weapon back and went about her day, but it was anounced that it will be investigated.

It reminds me of no less than two simuler incidences I saw while I was a U.S. Coast Guardsman, once this female BTM (Boarding Team Member) was walking around with an empty holster, another higher ranking female walked up and asked her "were's your weapon?", the girl just shrugged a little, apparently she haddent noticed, so the other female grabbed her by the shoulder and said "no, really, where is it?", then the girl looked down and saw that it was missing. Coast Guard Investigative Services (CGIS) was brought in to investigate, the weapon was never recovered, they had been out on a small boat doing LE work, so the weapon is believed to have gone over board.

Another time we went to the Sanbernardino shooting range for training, when we were wrapping it up at the end of the day we were short one M9 pistol, the gunners mates freaked. The scarry thing was that several guys had driven POVs to the range and had allready left for the station at Terminal Island, so it was possable that they had the weapon. Well everyone was ordered to stay put (except for the guys who allready left of coarse), well someone "found" that weapon sitting on top of a tire of one of the government vans. Conveniant, huh? It still got investigated by CGIS and a new policy was made that only government vehicles were to be driven to any training where weapons were involved.

Anyone ever hear of stuff like this?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Happens all the time.

Really? I'll be damned!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#3]

I know that during Operation Safe Skies back in late 2001, when the National Guard was occupying major airports, one young Guardsman left his M-16 leaning against a wall and walked away.  An airport custodian found it and turned it in.

From what I understand the soldier was a good kid, with a lot of personal issues weighing him down at the time, and his head wasn't in the game at all.  Still got the book thrown at him, of course.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
This is wierd, but I use a fobus dual mag holder paddle.  I have a habit of pulling the 2 mags in it every time I put it on to check and make sure the first round is seated and it's fully loaded.  I pulled one yesterday that was short a round.  I looked through my range bag and couldnt find it.  Still have no clue.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
My ASP has coming flying out on foot pursuits more than once. I didn't find it last time. No Big Deal.

I left my pistol in the lock box at the jail once, when another officer started calling for more units ASAP and I was the only one available, having just booked one for PI, and I was close. I got on-scene and felt my empty holster with horror. I grabbed my back-up Glock from a vest holster, and found, to my suprise, that it fit in my holster and the thumbsnap secured. The gangsters in the car were calm by this time, and I thought I'd be able to slink back to the jail and get my issued SIG with nobody the wiser, when the primary looked at me and said "Why you carrying the Glock? Leave your gun in the jail?"

I always lock my handgun in the trunk, now. Actually, I am a supervisor and never go to the jail; I always make someone else do my transports.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Never misplaced a weapon, (knock on wood)  Though I've really had difficulty with those !@#$%^& Metrocall pagers.  I think I've replaced 6 so far.  Can't even remember  the number of flashlights and clipboards.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My ASP has coming flying out on foot pursuits more than once. I didn't find it last time. No Big Deal.

I left my pistol in the lock box at the jail once, when another officer started calling for more units ASAP and I was the only one available, having just booked one for PI, and I was close. I got on-scene and felt my empty holster with horror. I grabbed my back-up Glock from a vest holster, and found, to my suprise, that it fit in my holster and the thumbsnap secured. The gangsters in the car were calm by this time, and I thought I'd be able to slink back to the jail and get my issued SIG with nobody the wiser, when the primary looked at me and said "Why you carrying the Glock? Leave your gun in the jail?"

I always lock my handgun in the trunk, now. Actually, I am a supervisor and never go to the jail; I always make someone else do my transports.

I lock the squad keys in the gun locker along with my weapon. I too learned the hard way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
On of the guys on my squad had somebody at gunpoint a couple of weeks ago. The dude booked, and went over a fence, across a dirt lot and then a busy street. When the cav started rolling up, the sergeant goes "Hey, where's your gun?" the officer's face turns bright red and a look of horror crosses it as he says "Uh.... I dont know!"

long story short, it was about 200 yards from where the pursuit ended. It fell out right after he jumped the wall into the desert area.

Personally, I have only lost my cell phone in the trunk of one of the cars. I had (have) a crappy belt clip that doesnt secure. the whole thing slid off and I loaded my gear on top of it. Took me the whole shift to find it!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I "Allways" keep my cell phone cliped and rubberbanded to the visor.
However  I was approaching the station at end of shift and took it down and cliped it to my belt when a buddy started a car chase with a DV Agg Batt suspect.   Of couse it happened right in front of me.   We chase the guy til he wrecks out and goes on foot.   He cleared the first fence but must have weakend it.  It broke when I hit it.    He just disappeared like Casper the Ghost.   Found him on the roof of a detached garage.     My cell phone was gone.    6 phone calls latter and my buddy looking for it  found it next to the broken fence.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I have left my gun in the trunk a few times when booking prisoners.

I went to a robbery that JO and the victim asked me if we were allowed to carry guns.  Evidently, it was still in my trunk.  Whoops.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
My buddy had a fellow deputy fall asleep at a desk one time and they were taking turns removing things from his duty belt without waking him up. They got most of it, including his sidearm.

We would do that to each other while standing around talking. That or we would try to disarm the other person without them realizing it.

One time, my buddy put his carry arm on the table while at our house having dinner. We emptied all his spare mags and unloaded his hot firearm. We called him as he drove to the end of the street to let him know he needed to load back up. Now, our group does press checks whenever we are around each other. I'd hate to get into a gun fight only to have to do a speed reload before I even fired a shot.

Keeps you on your toes.

My buddy went to a "shots fired, officer assistance" call from Madison Ave jail in Phx. He left his sidearm in the lockbox at the jail. He was subduing the suspect and cuffing them when another deputy noticed his empty holster. They though it was lost in the struggle at first. It now gets locked in the trunk.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Happens all the time, especially if you have to go into a jail/detention area and secure your weapon.

Going down to 26th and Cal to grab-up or drop off mopes, we had to drop our weapons in "secured" lockers.  Problem was, the locks were so worn out, just about every key worked in every lock and if you were creative enough, a pocket knife would work in a pinch.

Lot's of guys ended up wandering around with some other dude's weapon and more than once I have seen officers returning from detention or court w/o their duty weapon....forgot to retrieve it upon exit.

Nothing like rolling up on a shots fired call, going for your gat...only to discover it ain't there.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
How do you loose the one thing that is the most important?  It should be second nature to always check if your gun it there and holstered properly.  If it is not you should try and get into the habit of doing so.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How do you loose the one thing that is the most important?  It should be second nature to always check if your gun it there and holstered properly.  If it is not you should try and get into the habit of doing so.

I always feel it with my arm as I walk by just kinda shrugging and pulling my arm againgst my body so I can discreetly feel the butt of the weapon. Every time I get in my vehicle I reach down and touch it with my hand or thumb just to make sure it didn't fall out while getting in. I can't imagine going more than 20' or so before noticing it missing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I always check for my sidearm and radio when I get in the vehicle. Just habit. Bad things happen if you misplace a weapon here.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I lost my keys once. I had slipped the key fob between the inner belt and gun belt. Foot pursuit ensued. Lost my keys. Retraced my steps and found them.

Dropped my WT during an altercation, it was recovered.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Thanks for the invaluble training tip, Mr. Ayoob.

Too bad your wealth of training didn't include a spelling evolution.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I lost my asp 3 times in one week.  I managed to go back to where I was running the night before and find it each time.  I replaced the holder I carried it in the next week.  

I've learned to lock my vehicle keys with my pistol when I have to leave them in a lock box.  We also had a couple of keys that would open several different lock boxes.  We had a few guys leave with someone elses pistol a few times until it was fixed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#19]
hmm....

I'm guilty of leaving the handgun in the jail.....hot calls always gets dispatched when I'm booking someone in.  We have a LT. that lost his entire belt......was dragging it behind him by the radio cord during a foot pursuit.  We can always expect an FTO (noob in training) to forget it when they start the shift, makes for a real low score on the daily observation report.

keys, flashlight, radio, cell phone, ticket book, portable breath test, OC spray, name tag......either its happened to me or someone I'm working with.  One guy lost his badge, twice!  The first time it got ran over.....the rest of the day he was wearing a jacket.

Where one I've heard...

Pops was Air Force, Security Police (forces now) and had a M60 gunner leave his weapon on top of a vehicle when they left a area.  When they noticed it was missing they started a on-foot search or it.  Few weeks later a highway guy cutting grass along the road hit it with the mower and called the police.

David
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#20]
The only thing I've forgotten is my notebook.  I don't want to think about what would happen if I forgot my gun.  My department is a little to high profile fot that to be squashed in the media.  

edited because I can't spell.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#21]
I did have a kid lift my ASP one time while I was mingling with a group of em at an elementary school. I noticed the little shit trotting off happily with his new gotten toy and promptly retrieved it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:11:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the invaluble training tip, Mr. Ayoob.

Too bad your wealth of training didn't include a spelling evolution.

I hope  my mommy gets me a dictionary for christmas this year.  Or maybe we should put spellcheck in and get rid of the useless faces.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I hope  my mommy gets me a dictionary for christmas this year.  Or maybe we should put spellcheck in and get rid of the useless faces.

Hey....you're back!  How's them totally sweet milk crates to hold your Batman Underoos working out?

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]
They are Superman underware. Batman sucks.  Look at the bright side your wife and batman have something common.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
They are Superman underware. Batman sucks.  Look at the bright side your wife and batman have something common.

Quit posting stupid shit here.  If you have a serious question, gripe, or comment, go ahead.  But don't expect your insightful comments to be taken seriously if you don't know what you are talking about.

Why are you yelling?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You are a moron.  Either stop being an idiot and try to learn something in this forum, or continue to make idiotic, childish statements and be ignored by the public service personnel who come here to exchange USEFUL information.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My gun isn't the most important thing on my belt.  Most cops here know which item is the most important that I'm talking about but I don't see the need to enlighten you.

Go back to GD
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My gun isn't the most important thing on my belt.  Most cops here know which item is the most important that I'm talking about but I don't see the need to enlighten you.

Go back to GD

Key the 24 hour emergency donut locker in the LT's office.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go back to GD

Key the 24 hour emergency donut locker in the LT's office.

Sheep

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I went to a robbery that JO and the victim asked me if we were allowed to carry guns.  Whoops.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:42:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Well heck, why do morons allways show up just to shit in someones thread?

I bet my thread gets locked now cause some people can't follow the rules.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was in the military, a fellow soldier left his M16 in leaning against the front of our M113.  Needless to say, it was run over when the vehicle was pulled out for an exercise. The person found his rifle and tossed it over the fence of our installation to hide it.  It was found and he was busted.

When I worked for Customs, I was searching a vehicle, cleared it and sent it down the road.  I then realized that I no longer had my Surefire.  It was brought back to me the following day.  The guy was real discreet coming up and returning it.  I felt like an idiot and thanked him.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Well heck, why do morons allways show up just to shit in someones thread?

I bet my thread gets locked now cause some people can't follow the rules.

Their morons, it's their job.  

Sheep

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quit posting stupid shit here.

No shit; it was good thread until I started reading that crap.

I havent lost anything from my gun belt nor left my weapons behind at the jail but I did misplace an M-16 once .  I was an augmente for a month while I was in the USAF.  Wasnt used to carrying it around at all and ended up leaving it in the break room after a bathroom break.  The area was pretty secured with just SPs coming and going.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The derogotory reference made about other member's wives will cease immediately!  That crap will get your account locked here!

3rd Street:  Check your IM.

doorgunner:  Check your IM
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow, coming from a wannabe(too young for now) LEO, this entire forum owns ass for info and random stuff. Most excellent.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Wow, coming from a wannabe(too young for now) LEO, this entire forum owns ass for info and random stuff. Most excellent.

Dude...I love your avatar.  I'm a huge Star Wars geek.

...er, NON-alcoholic beer, that is.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Besides leaving my sidearm at home twice  when I first started (about 11 years ago), I've left it in the jail lock boxes once on the way to a medical assist. Haven't done it since though.

I used to carry one of those Safariland cuff keys that snap into a belt keeper. While I was taking off my gear I noticed it was missing. My buddy who took my cruiser at shift change found it in the back seat. Must have come off while I was clearing it after a transport. Not something you want to have fall off of you, particularly  in the backseat of a squad. haven't carried one of those since.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#41]
OC, Surefires, cuffs, cuff keys......List goes on!

NEVER MY PISTOL!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I get a take home car and work out of the house,  I made it to the post office when my discrete elbow check to my holster yieded no reassuring hard stop.  I promptly fanned my jacket over the empy holster, picked up my mail and returned to the gun safe.  Ooops.  

Funny story,  My first day on the job out of the academy, the senior officer I was assigned to work with advised me that we have a change of plans; we're gonna go back and work his sector not mine.  I asked him why as he was supposed to teach me my sector.  "Because I forgot my damn gun" was the answer.  I laughed and we got along real well after that.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#43]
anybody ever use one of the crappy uncle mike "crapdura" mag pouches? They are tacked to the backing only on the corners, not all the way around like a safariland. I broke one of the corners loose and the next night snagged it on a fence during a pursuit. Lost the pouch and two fully loaded g22 mags, never to be found again.  (I hope)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Didnt really "lose" but the PD had a guy leave his GUN in "master control" (at the county jail instead of securing it in his trunk) for 4 1/2 HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when he came back to get it he said "It's a good thing I was just sitting on the loop (its where all the teens hang out down town) and nothing was going on.

WOW!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top