Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 7:41:00 PM EDT
OK Miss Magnum's topic reminded me of something.

Twice in my life I have broken up with a girlfriend and made the mistake of getting back together with her.  I have also witnessed numerous friends of mine break up with their girl/boyfriends and get back together and within a couple weeks they are just as unhappy as they were before, fighting, etc..

I'm a firm believer that 99% of the time, if you marry or date someone for any significant amount of time, and then break up with them you should stay broken up and not get into that "let's give it another chance" crap.

So, have any of you broken up with a wife/girlfriend and gotten back together?  Is my axiom wrong that it's always bad to get back together?  Feel free to post your stories from either side of the issue.

I think once people spend enough time together they get into habits and fall into a pattern of behavior as to how they treat that person.  So you can break up and change your behavior for a little bit, but before long, the old behaviors are back just like before.  After all, you still ARE the same two people and you weren't compatible two weeks ago.  WTF makes you think you can get back together now???

Let's hear your stories.  And, have any of you divorced a woman and then remarried her later?

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Not worth it............
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Im still living with her and we have 1 son and another any day.  I met her in high school and we broke up after 6 months.  I saw her 12 years later and we are still hangin around.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
it worked for me, it just gave time to think, and actually it worked out that things are even better than ever before
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If she's special you fight, but don't "break up".

If she's not you never look back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to bang my ex and get it on video, just so I can send the tape to her new BF, does that count for anything?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
"No, I aint that lonely yet" -Dwuight Yoakum

And, I'm not that dumb.  There's a reason I broke up w/ them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Im still living with her and we have 1 son and another any day.  I met her in high school and we broke up after 6 months.  I saw her 12 years later and we are still hangin around.
View Quote

This situation neither supports nor refutes my hypotheses.  From the age of 18-30, people are no longer the "same person" so it's conceivable that you could get back together.  I'm referring to breaking up with someone and getting back together days, weeks, or a couple months later.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I did it twenty years ago with a crazy, but then-attractive woman who I was seeing. I found out she had been sleeping around on me the nights I was working or otherwise busy. Big scene. I found her at his apt. Told them both to go f^&% themselves. I went back to my apt. about 4 AM, couldn't sleep, saw a then-friend of mine, a local cop on night duty driving around, told him about it. He told me, stay pissed, and determined, so she won't be able to get her hooks back into you. I was pissed for weeks, then I saw her. Like the young fool I was, I started talking with her when she came over and said she was sorry, bla bla, we should give it another chance bla bla....

If I could ever go back in time, I would go back to there and find some way of keeping her away from me, ever.

We got back together and ended up living together, but it was never the same again. Truly the worst time in my life. A rollercoaster, everyday, sometimes every minute. Only going to grad school, and then getting an all-expenses-paid scholarship to study in Germany saved my ass and my mind.

Haven't seen her in almost two decades. One day, just for ha-has, I clicked on a match.com email I rec'd, just to see what's out there. Hell- there she was, and other than about twenty more years of hard living and twenty more pounds, she still looks and presents herself the same [cringe]. She still lives in MA, is divorced (God knows how many times), has kid[s], and looks like a freight train that took a dirt road. Time wounds all heels, I guess.

Thank God I did not marry her, let alone start a family with her. She was never happy with herself, or anything, really, but I was to young, too blind, too inexperienced to see it. And I just about paid for my mistake with my nervous system....

So, in my experience, no, it's not worth going back. There are PLENTY of good women out there-there is no sense settling for somebody, just because it's familiar and easy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude, that's what happened with my wife and I.  Too bad she left in November, filed for divorce in December, and got knocked up by her boyfriend in January.  FWIW, when we broke up out of high school, it was the same deal....her cheating.  

Plant me firmly in the "stay broken up" camp!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I kinda did that myself..
we were dating for year, thigns kinda fell apart.

We saw each other again...and back in the sack we went.
We saw each other once a week, had lots of sex. After about 5 more months, that was that...

Not again!!
YEah..it better to stay broken up. Espc if it's for cheating!!!! THey will do it again..only a matter of time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell yeah! My wife and I broke up a million times when we were dating, we always got back together. Been married for 16 years, lived together for 11 years before that.
AB
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#13]
just once, and the second break up was MUCH worse than the first
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Been there. Done that. Learned that Forward does not mesh with Reverse.

(And yeah, I know...I should have just hired a dominatrix instead.)

cynic
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:59:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't get back together, but let her [i]think[/i] that you might, and get you some transition sex... you know, something to help the dry spell while you're looking for someone else.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother inlaw married and divorced the same woman 3 times.

[ForestGump]That all I got to say about that[/ForestGump]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Usually I NEVER go back... not good but with my last girlfriend we split up... something about me buying a house and her not having a decision in the matter. We just needed time away.

got back together and got married and expecting our third child. it was for the better that we realized we were good for each other.

Most of the times it doesnt work out... I guess in my case it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top