Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I cried at work after we ran over a teenager with a 14,000 ton  grain train.  I’m kind of a touchy feely pussy I guess.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive been told I make inmates cry all the time.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive seen a few guys well up when they were handed their walking papers. I know in at least one case, this guy was going through a rough patch in life and I think it was just the straw that broke the camels back. Felt bad for him. He wasn't a horrible worker, but he definitely didn't have the skills to be proficient at his job. Real nice guy though.

I shed some tears at work the morning my dad called to inform me my grandfather had passed. He was one of my biggest heros growing up and I still get a bit choked up. Funny thing is, he was such a salt of the earth meat and potatoes man's man that I bet he would tell me to toughen up if he saw it.

But crying over general job related stress or a {gasp!} meeting? Nah.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No.  

I try not to judge.  I nearly lost it a few times after my divorce but im the boss and i dont show shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JamiesGotAGun:
After 10 years,  my wife and I are getting divorced.

I find myself crying or close to it at times.

I'm not ashamed.

I remember when I used to be a tough guy.   Everybody cries.
View Quote

Sorry to hear that man, went through it a few years ago, not easy. Talking with people helps, don’t hold it in. Get it out so you can move on.

Hang in there!
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I fired him a few days before Christmas.

He had been gone 5 days without calling in.  It started as a Friday. I was going to drug test him on Monday but he was gone all week so I fired him.

He cried and begged for one more chance.

Though his wife did not work his excuse was he had to take his kid to the Dr.

Just one more chance he asked.

I told him you have missed 27 days and been lat 28 times in less than one year.

You have had your chances.  I had good excuses for all of those he said.

After a while I don’t care if you have excuses, you have to work to get your benefits and you are unable to do it.

And he did not get unemployment though someone in the unemployment office threw away 10 pages of documentation and almost got it for him.

I have gotten better and faster at firing.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:
My daughter died 18 months ago. I still cry at work. I isolate myself when it happens so it doesn't bleed into the workplace, but sometimes it just washes over me.

I just had lunch at the Raising Cane's she worked at when she passed. The kids working there are still wearing a red heart pin with her initials on it. The letters are in her own handwriting from a document she initialed at work (the store manager had them made). I started crying in the parking lot. I wasn't bawling, but seeing that she's still in their thoughts brought tears to my eyes.

I'm not embarrassed to admit it. It was devastating.
View Quote

Fuck.

I’m sorry, man.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've made a couple grown men cry at work. Always an awkward feeling seeing it, they generally quit after because we would roast them even harder
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Only twice.  

Coworker found out his sister died.  She had terminal cancer and it was expected.  He opted to finish the day to keep his mind off it once he had composed himself.

Second time was just nuts.  Effeminate gay plastic surgeon was building out a new office.  My company was doing the data and com installation.  Dude changed his mind on the regular during the build out.  PM on the job called a meeting to explain the added costs and that we needed to nail down right there a final plan.  The client just couldn’t handle the stress and ran out of the office crying.

We since decided to add “difficult customer” fee to know problem customers.

Damn, I’m glad I’m out of that work.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SOCTAC:
I've made a couple grown men cry at work. Always an awkward feeling seeing it, they generally quit after because we would roast them even harder
View Quote

Must be a great place to work, everyone being 12 and all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#11]
My unit got hit with an IED and one of our interpreters died.

When we got back to our Barracks one of his fellow interpreters was there waiting and cried a bunch.

lots of tears and bro hugs to go around.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, Monday morning Jan 27th 1997 I was working in a computer lab with about 40 people. We lost to the Packers in the Superbowl the night before. This guy could make it an hour in and was so upset his team lost he was crying. They sent him home. I was floored at the time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:14:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreeXP] [#13]
I've had one adult male tear up when being told he was going to HR due to his chronic inability to come to work on time. We even changed his schedule to suit his needs but after a week or two of being good, he went back to coming in late by the new standard too. We are talking 20 - 30 minutes late on average. I can't see how this was a surprise for him. He was even late for his HR hearing...

I've had another 'adult' college kid cry when I fired him on his first day on the job. Well, technically his second as he no-showed on his first day.

I asked why he didn't just call me (he claimed he was sick) but told me he didn't have my phone number. I then showed him every email corospondance I had with him in the hiring process which had my phone number in it... I didn't want to train a person who is either lying to me or could not do basic problem solving skills. I had to rehire due to office politics as his father was a reconized name in the organization. I ended up firing him a second time a year or so later. He would literally sleep at his desk from playing video games all night. His special rules was a morale killer for the good employees.

Edit - One more teared up when I told him I don't care about his workload, he needed to get out of the office asap when he found out his father had a heart attack. Go, we will figure it out later. Why are you talking to me right now and not on an airplane?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By LittleBigHorn:

Handle your shit at home or don't come in to work.

(With some exceptions of course, like just finding out you lost a family member, and I don't mean your cat)
View Quote
Oh how simple and fruitless your life must be to be achieve that.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Probably crying after cooking his steaks using OP’s method.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SnowboundinNH:
My daughter died 18 months ago. I still cry at work. I isolate myself when it happens so it doesn't bleed into the workplace, but sometimes it just washes over me.

I just had lunch at the Raising Cane's she worked at when she passed. The kids working there are still wearing a red heart pin with her initials on it. The letters are in her own handwriting from a document she initialed at work (the store manager had them made). I started crying in the parking lot. I wasn't bawling, but seeing that she's still in their thoughts brought tears to my eyes.

I'm not embarrassed to admit it. It was devastating.
View Quote

So very sorry for your loss, I know exactly how you feel having lost my daughter as well. I cried at work several times after she passed, sometimes when people would bring it up but other times when I least expected it. I went to the law firm where she had worked a couple of months ago, I hadn't been in there in a long time and the attorney didn't recognize me right off. His secretary recognized my name and came in the conference room asking how things had been going. After a few minutes we all had wet eyes, it was difficult to maintain my composure when they held my hands and prayed. Even after 16 years a loss like that can still hurt, I'm sure your wounds are fresher.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
sure

and I've shed a few myself.

Some ramp ceremonies;  aftermath of some roadside IEDs.  Iraq and Afghan.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StarJumper] [#18]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Yeah, and I have. Men typically need a better reason to cry than just having a bad day though. 100% of the time, it was related to getting a phone call about a death in the family.
View Quote

This... i cried when I learned a good friend of mine died tragically, leaving a young daughter who is two months older than my own son.... Very sad... She was an amazing friend at a point in my life during which I truly needed a friend. It's still sad...

I also cried when my good friend and coworker learned his 18 year old daughter got killed in a car accident, her senior year of highschool a month before graduation....

Damn... I think a few times working retail, I wanted to kick the shit out of a few customers so bad I had tears in my eyes. People think they can say and do whatever they want to retail workers, most of the time I found it funny but there were the one or two people... I had to really ask myself, "am I ready to go to jail over this..."
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I once worked for a great company, with a great boss.

Sadly, their idea of technology revolved around tape and tape backup.

Circa 2002.  

When plants started closing, I knew my days were numbered, so I cleaned out my desk and prepared for the inevitable.

I got a call to my boss’s office and his eyes were just a bit moist.

I asked him what was up and his chin quivered a bit and I told him I understood what was about to happen, and that it was ok, and I would be ok.

A few tears leaked out and he said he really hated what he was doing, and hated that part of his job, but I was being laid off, permanently.

He shed a few tears and told me I would get a great severance, but my time with that company was over.

\It was a good run.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Almost 2 decades of fire/ems I've seen it more than once, done it myself as well and not ashamed to admit it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Seen it plenty and done it a few times myself.

Generally though, it's something serious like: mom/dad just got diagnosed with cancer, death, personal events of significant nature, etc. Not, "this is a shitty day because the copy machine broke and I didn't get a cup of coffee."
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MiskeetShooter1:
I’m way to freakin tough to cry but I do get allergies which makes it appear as though I’m crying. Sucks!
View Quote

I had a English Bulldog that had a huge tumor in his abdomen took him to vet for blood work and was scheduled for emergency surgery the next day. Unknown to me that tumor ruptured getting him in/out of the car or when he was in the vets office. On the way home he started panting heavy and his breathing became labored; I could see he was struggling to sit up. He just wanted his head propped up when he died which I did with my jacket; he died in the back of the car about 20 minutes after we left the vet. My allergies were fucking terrible when that happened.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I lost a younger gal pal to cancer last year.  I hadn't talked to her in a long time.  On a Monday she was told that she had aggressive cancer, was getting her
plan of attack figured out and on the following Friday she collapsed and died while at another doctors appointment for her father.  After she passed, every time
I randomly thought about her, I was an emotional mess wherever I was.  I can usually control my emotions.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Happened to me once. Of course I found out the day before my brother died. When you're working your ass off cutting meat by yourself in a cooler you're left with nothing but your own thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes.  I found out a couple co-workers were not actually helping me, by taking equipment I had refurbished and placing it in stock at the headquarters building.  A little birdie told me they were insinuating that it was their work.  Well then............months later, I get promoted and a large pay raise, which made me their boss.  I ran them ragged like a rented mule.  One of them quit, and cried when he was quitting, a guy probably in his 60s.  His health actually declined from that point and emotional depression became physical issues.  It isn't a tight industry, but you only need a few connections to have the pulse of the entire market.  

Don't fuck with me.

I was buying a new UTV at a local dealer years later.  As the sale wrapped up, the dealer was mentioning their lot boy John.  The more he talked, I realized who it was without needing a last name or seeing him.  John loaded my new UTV into my truck.  

Actions have consequences. Don't ever challenge me to an asshole contest.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#27]
As a manager yes. I've seen several.

It's more common than you would think. You would also be amazed at home many people believe their boss is their therapist.

Though some were understandable. Deaths in the family, with them being notified at work, for example.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JamiesGotAGun:
After 10 years,  my wife and I are getting divorced.

I find myself crying or close to it at times.

I'm not ashamed.

I remember when I used to be a tough guy.   Everybody cries.
View Quote

Went through it 2 years ago.  2 kids.

Its the hardest thing I have personally dealt with.  Even the loss of my mom was easier.

I couldnt eat or focus.  But, I made it and you will to.

Surround yourself with friends, exercise, keep busy and get laid.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I have myself.

I knew my grandfather, who was more of a father figure to me than my actual father, was on his deathbed.  While I was at work I received a call from my uncle that he had just passed.

Hit me right in the feels…
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#30]
When someone died, yes.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Boy, the amount of toxic hyper-masculinity in this thread would scare a feminist.

(when the truth doesn't fit the stereotype)
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#32]
Yes. Bunch of dudes after a steel rack collapsed on a few guys.

Not the best day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Not sure why a bad evaluation at work would make a guy cry.

What's the worse that can happen? They fire you and you go collect unemployment until you find another job.

If I thought I was being disrespected or treated unfairly I'd just go find a new job and I may even quit until I did find the new job depending on how bad the insult was.

What's more, I wouldn't want someone to work for me that was so emotionally invested in their job that they'd cry about it at bad evaluation.   Those types of folks are the type that would probably lie or hide things to protect their job and that can be worse than just a lazy or incompetent employee.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Every payday.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Once.  It was a few people who had been around since the start, after a weekend with really bad news that meant the company would be failing and closing soon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
My wife texted and said a teacher was upset and cried about a meeting.
I said I've never seen a man cry at work excepting pepper spray training.

You ever see a man cry at work?
https://media1.tenor.com/m/-NZBRCV7nicAAAAd/spiderman-crying.gif
View Quote

I cried when a student of mine died.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#37]
yes. Me.

A tie down came loose and a piece of steel bar about 10 feet long swung free and got me right in the nuts. Dropped me like a sack of potatoes.

I was crying the guys watching were crying, some of them fell over and were pounding on the ground crying.

It was a very emotional event. One guy almost choked to death.

one of my balls swelled up and turned several different colors.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes.

A coworker cried after telling us how he has to leave his 85 year old grandfather, who can barely get around on his own, alone while he’s at work because he can’t find any help.

Nobody thought he was being dramatic about it. His grandfather ended up passing away.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:49:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#39]
There were a lot of teary eyes (mine included) at the launch of SA-501 (Apollo 4) once it cleared the launch tower and was on its way to orbit. The sight and the roar of those five Rocketdyne F-1 engines was the emotional experience of a lifetime.

I also cried the times I watched each of my 3 beloved horses being lowered into their graves. RIP Lucky, Stormin' Norman, and Starshine.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#40]
No, I saw guy completely lose it and trash his office before walking out midday and never returning.

Also, saw a coworker experiencing a heart attack. He was trying to hide it but it was obvious he was in great pain an struggling to breathe. Called 911 and he was in denial even as he was being loaded into the ambulance.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:54:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ExtraHardTaco] [#41]
Had a team member breakdown under a ruck one night while moving off the DZ to seize an objective during a freezing rain storm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes. Janitor upset about another janitor lying and being a shitty coworker.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1saxman] [#43]
A teacher? Well, most of you have no idea of the pressures on a man, particularly a white man, in today's schools. My son is a teacher and I hear it all - the 'DEI' meetings, the forced acquiescence, the cult of snitching, etc. I really don't know how he can do it. I retired from work 18 years ago and I'm pretty sure if I was still there I'd be fired by now - I just can't stomach the shit. So, I can readily see why a male teacher broke down at a meeting - they just threw him one more shitball and he couldn't hang.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
I believe you would get your ass kicked if you tried that shit where I worked. And you would be mercilessly teased and hazed about it for the rest of your employment, as god himself intended.  

IMO, there is only 1 reason a man can cry, the death of a loved one.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Many times.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
My wife texted and said a teacher was upset and cried about a meeting.
I said I've never seen a man cry at work excepting pepper spray training.

You ever see a man cry at work?
View Quote

I almost cried at my boss's retirement lunch last Jully.  No Shit.  My eyes got all watery and I told him I was about to cry and told him how much I appreciated him and would miss him.

I had just gotten back from two months FMLA for being in a coma and in the cardiac ICU for myocarditis. Then, two months later a month FMLA to care for mother (at home hospice).

My boss really went out of his way to check on me and my family, and never turned in the FMLA paper work.  He covered for me, and I received full pay for all the time off I took.  It was an emotional time for me, and I was very touched by his efforts.  His going away lunch was the only time I had seen him since before COVID and all the work from home stuff
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#47]
it happens, but only when someone has either been killed or severely injured
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#48]
No I cry in the fetal position in the shower like a real man
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes…that man was me.  

I was at work and in constant communication with the wife who was at the emergency vet putting a cat down.  

Didn’t think it would hit me that hard, maybe it was the emotion from the wife.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By runcible:
Many times.
View Quote

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top