Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/6/2010 7:05:57 AM EDT
Is there a website that has a list of stations that sell ethanol free fuel?
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I don't think there are anymore in Texas. I know it use to be only used in DFW and Houston but the shit is all over West Texas now.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Then I guess we are left with only Stabil for small engines?  I have been mixing a little octane for them
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd like to know.  It's getting harder and harder to find ethanol free fuel for my boat.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]
EPA says: 'No Soup for You"...

For small two stroke engines, this is a viable alternative:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com/40-fuel-premixed-gas-and-oil-p-87648.html?ref=42
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I talked to a station owner who used to carry non-ethanol, he says it costs more due to the delivery distances and average folks won't pay the premium.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#6]
There are quite a few around here, they sell racing fuel too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
In NC I ran across a BP that said on the pump "Silver is ethanol-free." Silver being the mid-grade.

Now, knowing that most places don't actually have a mid-grade, but instead mix the high and low octane flows together, it makes me wonder.

However, my mileage on that tank was awesome.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:29:42 AM EDT
[#8]
We have several stations around here that sell ethanol fre gasoline. The name of the station, or the gas brand is " Excel" and sells for the same price as the E10.

I did not beleive it and asked them where they get their fuel, they told me...My friend is a distributor, wow, I asked him and sure enough...ethanol fre.

Danny
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

We have several stations around here that sell ethanol fre gasoline. The name of the station, or the gas brand is " Excel" and sells for the same price as the E10.

I did not beleive it and asked them where they get their fuel, they told me...My friend is a distributor, wow, I asked him and sure enough...ethanol fre.

Danny

Whereabouts in VA is it? I need some in the Richmond area, but nobody seems to know where to find any. Could you please ask your distruibuter friend?
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Got a place about 2 mins down the road...actually going to fill up in a bit.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't seen a station anywhere around central/south Texas that didn't have the "Contains up to 10% ethanol"  sticker on the pumps.  Probably has to do with the air quality alert crap as deemed by the EPA.  I wonder how much a 10% mix will affect car/truck engines that weren't designed for ethanol?  I've heard about it messing up lawn mower engines and a lot of boat motors out in Florida where they required it in marine fuel too.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Danny

Where in VA?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I haven't seen a station anywhere around central/south Texas that didn't have the "Contains up to 10% ethanol"  sticker on the pumps.  Probably has to do with the air quality alert crap as deemed by the EPA.  I wonder how much a 10% mix will affect car/truck engines that weren't designed for ethanol?  I've heard about it messing up lawn mower engines and a lot of boat motors out in Florida where they required it in marine fuel too.

Interesting.  Well, we have many small engines and one older vehicle that is not made to run on this stuff.  I have one 2cycle in the garage gummed up with fuel that was treated so not sure what happened there.  I guess I will head over to the survival forum and ask how they treat their fuel.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#14]
FE&BO
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://pure-gas.org

Filled up a couple of cans last week at the secret location in Corpus. It actually smelled like gasoline!

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that sucks, not a single one on my side of PA.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Airports and maybe some boat docks...

That said, the airport fuel will have lead in it....

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Just about any station in Iowa.  87 and 91 are non-ethanol, the 89 is 10%.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Whereabouts in VA is it? I need some in the Richmond area, but nobody seems to know where to find any. Could you please ask your distruibuter friend?

There are 2 right here within 6 miles of me in Nelson County. I've seen the Excel stations between Scottsville and Charlottesville on Rt. 20 also.

The gasoline comes into Montvale Va, and goes out from there is what my friend says. I'll see if I can get up with him. If anyone knows RobertM ( used to be a Mod in VAHTF) he might could shed some light on the availability of non-fthanol fuel around the Richmond area. IIRC, he works/used to with fuels.

Danny
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Marina's should carry it.  they do around here.  

Also, pick up the yellow pages and look up fuel distributors.  The place that fills the tanker trucks.  My local one sells dino gas for $.50 more per gallon than current pump prices.  When I notice a spike in gas at the convenience store, I can get it for about $.25 more there.  I fill up my 5 gallon tank and that is all that my small engines/boat motors get, no ethanol in my little engines.  It is amazing how much better they run, well worth the premium price.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#22]
There's a place ––I think a Phillips station–– in Maryville, TN that has a sign out front advising that all of their gas is ethanol-free.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I talked to a station owner who used to carry non-ethanol, he says it costs more due to the delivery distances and average folks won't pay the premium.

Unless we are being hoodooed, there is a Conoco station here that advertises, "Only local station without ethanol".

His prices are in line with most 10% ethanol stations. I have to believe he's on the up and up, since my milage went up substantially since switching over. I used to fill up after about 220 miles, now I'm filling up around 280. I'm using it for all my 2 stroke engines now.

ETA: if everyone reading this thread would post the about pure-gas.org link in their HTF it would be a valuable tool for site members looking for non-E gas and might result in additional stations being listed.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Grain Growers in Lewiston, ID has premium un-ethanal!
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

In NC I ran across a BP that said on the pump "Silver is ethanol-free." Silver being the mid-grade.

Now, knowing that most places don't actually have a mid-grade, but instead mix the high and low octane flows together, it makes me wonder.

When I worked for Mobil corporation, this was not the case. Mid grade was refined seperately, pipelined seperately, stored, trucked and delivered seperately.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Louisiana Sportman Magazine has this page.

They publish it for boaters and has only stations in LA and MS, but

maybe Texas has a similar sports magazine?

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I worked for Mobil corporation, this was not the case. Mid grade was refined seperately, pipelined seperately, stored, trucked and delivered seperately.

It maybe varies?

I talked to a guy filling up the tanks at a BP station once, and he told me that the newer pumps at that station just mixed the 87 and 91 to get the 89.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
The Gov is thinking about replacing E10 ethanol with E15. Most devices say E10 is the max blend of ethanol that they will allow and warrant.  Tis a shame that there is a mandate for this. Almost all the stations, maybe all of them in NW Florida have changed to E10 in the last 6 months from E0.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Closest is Gainesville which is 80 miles

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#30]
There's a Phillip 66 in Boise that sells no ethanol fuel.   It's about .15/gal more than every other station and the owner advertises that you'll get better mpg with the Ethanol free fuel.  I tried a tank and actually got worse mpg.  I took a wild guess and thought maybe my truck's computer didn't have a chance to calibrate itself with only one tank?  Didn't buy it again after the one time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a Phillip 66 in Boise that sells no ethanol fuel.   It's about .15/gal more than every other station and the owner advertises that you'll get better mpg with the Ethanol free fuel.  I tried a tank and actually got worse mpg.  I took a wild guess and thought maybe my truck's computer didn't have a chance to calibrate itself with only one tank?  Didn't buy it again after the one time.

5 to 7% worse with E10 vs GAS.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Q-Mart in Dresden TN (~15minutes north of me) sells ethanol-free gas.

Usually runs 10 cents higher per gallon than the others (2.69 vs 2.59)
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Q-Mart in Dresden TN (~15minutes north of me) sells ethanol-free gas.

Usually runs 10 cents higher per gallon than the others (2.69 vs 2.59)

The improved mileage easily offsets the ten cents.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Looks like they're all too far away from Richmond for me...
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Gov is thinking about replacing E10 ethanol with E15. Most devices say E10 is the max blend of ethanol that they will allow and warrant.  Tis a shame that there is a mandate for this. Almost all the stations, maybe all of them in NW Florida have changed to E10 in the last 6 months from E0.

Ethanol not only significantly degrades my fuel efficiency, it also raises my blood pressure.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#36]
For small amounts, I wash the alcohol out with water.  Since alcohol has a nice affinity for water, washing the gas with 10% distilled water by volume, twice, gets rid of most of the alcohol.  The gasoline floats on the water, decant after each washing.  You need to shake it well and it may form an emulsion, break this with a small amount of Epsom salt.

After the second wash, filter through a bed of dried epsom salt.  Dry regular Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) in a 350 F oven for 2 hours.  Epsom salt is over 50% water, drying it enables it to absorb a good amount of water.  The Epsom salt will not dissolve in gasoline.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#37]
IIRC Grade 1 gasoline (Exxon, Shell, etc, the big boys) will always contain 10% ethanol by EPA specification.  You'll need to go to a regional chain or local mom and pop to have a chance at non-ethanol gas.

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Haven't found any. South Central Peeay and I've looked.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Is there a potential problem with ethanol-added gas in a newer car/truck engine as well as 2-stroke?  Do I need to be worried about this?
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
I posted this in C&B about a month back.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#41]
This is the only one I know of around Austin. I just added it to the http://pure-gas webpage.  

La Escondida - Chevron
10900 W Highway 290, Austin TX
Ethanol-free octane ratings: 87 89 93
GPS coordinates: N 30.22225 W 97.95662
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Of course it is, when you buy fuel w/10% etanol, you are being ripped off. You are only getting 9/10 of a gallon of gasoline. Ethanol, by volume has much less energy than gasoline.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Any quick,simple way to test the fuel that comes out of the pump for ethanol?
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Filled up a couple of cans last week at the secret location in Corpus. It actually smelled like gasoline!

yOU ROCK

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Closest is Gainesville which is 80 miles

I'll drive the 50 miles it is for me - I have mucho jerry cans to go into the pickup!
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think there are anymore in Texas. I know it use to be only used in DFW and Houston but the shit is all over West Texas now.

The Brookshires gas station near me is ethanol free.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#47]
This E-10 crap is pissing me off.

The following piston engine applications should not use ethanol
blended
       gasoline:

• Any 2 cycle engine used in tools, watercraft, snowmobiles, etc.,
    or small
       4 cycle engines.

• Any engines used in an emergency stationary engine application
    like a generator,
       especially in a humid climate.

• All watercraft. Ethanol blended gasoline should never be used in a
    marine
       environment.

• Antique and classic cars and classic motorcycles.

• All aircraft.

http://www.e0pc.com/

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:39:44 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

IIRC Grade 1 gasoline (Exxon, Shell, etc, the big boys) will always contain 10% ethanol by EPA specification.  You'll need to go to a regional chain or local mom and pop to have a chance at non-ethanol gas.

Kharn

Gasoline is shipped by pipeline.  Pipelines being just carbon steel cannot tolerate ethanol.  Ethanol is added when the tanker trucks are filled at the pipeline terminal.  When a brand-name station orders gasoline, they can add ethanol or other things (detergent).

In the pipeline, gasoline has no brand.  Yes, there are 2 specifications for pipeline gasoline along with a slew of regional requirements (reformulated) and specific AKIs based on altitude (higher altitude requires less AKI).

Finally, while ethanol does boost AKI, the pump listing shows the AKI before ethanol is added.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Nuts.  

Not one in St Louis area.

But !  My  FlexFuel(tm)  '99 Ford Ranger runs like a scared jack rabbit on E85

Yeah, I know...it costs 30% less but I get 30% less mileage,  so it's a break-even proposition.  I've been running it recently to clear out some bad fuel I bought at a bargain gas station.  

Did the trick.

However, ethanol the way we do it is a huge fucking scam.  From the point of view of thermodynamics, about as much petrol based fuel is used to plant corn, fertilize, harvest, take it to market, distill and then *ship by truck*  ...  because ethanol can't be shipped by pipeline... as it takes to produce the ethanol in the first place.  

Google is your friend.  Look it up.

I'd still like to get some ordinary gasoline for storage
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting.  Well, we have many small engines and one older vehicle that is not made to run on this stuff.  I have one 2cycle in the garage gummed up with fuel that was treated so not sure what happened there.  I guess I will head over to the survival forum and ask how they treat their fuel.

You can get pre mix 2 cycle gas and oil in a can at places like Walmart and Ace Hardware, even Sears.

It is kinda expensive, but ethanol free.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top