Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2003 1:57:48 PM EDT
I've been having an Iraq debate on another board. No one has been willing to answer my question.

What are the long term Tactical, Strategic, and Political ramifications of having a self governed, America friendly Iraq that is amicable to having military American military bases on its soil? How would that help the US fight the war on terror?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll post my answer in the morning.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:41:34 PM EDT
[#2]
moot. US bases there will only help breed more anti-US sentiment. arabs HATE foreign powers on their soil. much like we would hate it. blue helmets in ohio, anyone?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Having bases in Iraq would allow us to put more personnel within striking distance of other countries in the middle east. Iran and Syria are not unlikly future targets in the war on terrorism. Saudi Arabia seems to be getting less friendly to American forces within their country. One of the major issues stated by Al Queda is the presence of American troops in Saudi Arabia, which they consider to be the birthplace of the prophet Mohommed. Moving some troops from Saudi Arabia could ease tensions in the area. Additionally, Muslims from all over the world are coming to Iraq to fight against the Americans. While I don't like seeing our troops killed, I would rather the Muslims fight their jihad in Iraq rather than America. The majority of Iraqis were oppresed under Saddam Hussein, and would have a chance at a much better life under different rule. It would certainly not hurt to have more friends in that region.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been having an Iraq debate on another board. No one has been willing to answer my question.

What are the long term Tactical, Strategic, and Political ramifications of having a self governed, America friendly Iraq that is amicable to having military American military bases on its soil? How would that help the US fight the war on terror?

Personally, I think those are two mutually exclusive statements.

Not to sound racist, but those people have no idea what to do with "democracy" - with military power we'll be able to maintain a regime, but after a few years of being left to their own devices, the Shiites will stage an Islamic Revolution - or some tin-pot dictator will carry out a military coup.

I could be wrong - I sure hope so.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#6]
We are there for the sole reason to try to set an example for the other A-rab nations. Basically to try to kill off their funky fucked up way of life.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to sound racist, but those people have no idea what to do with "democracy" - with military power we'll be able to maintain a regime, but after a few years of being left to their own devices, the Shiites will stage an Islamic Revolution - or some tin-pot dictator will carry out a military coup.

IMHO, an important part of the implications of a Democratic Iraq is the influence on the people of the surrounding nations. I have no idea what's going on in Syria, but I have heard that Iran has had a lot of pro-US sentiment lately (not that their current regime lets it out willingly). These people have been told for years that the reason they are living in a third-world shithole is because the evil infidel is oppressing them. What will they think when they see undeniable signs of success from a neighboring country that isn't ruled by some nutcase dictator? A further effect could be that the ruling regimes in those neighboring countries might be more hesitant to seriously oppress the people in their own nations who are calling for Democracy when a strong military force is right at their doorstep.

Of course, there's also the liberal wild card - with the way the they have been talking these days, if the liberals get the presidency anytime soon, the whole thing could go to pieces overnight.

Then, there's DK-Prof's worry. Nobody can say for sure, but I seriously hope that he is wrong about that, because if he's right, then the only way to keep ourselves safe from terrorism in the long term is to kill Arabs in numbers that would make Stalin wince.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
moot. US bases there will only help breed more anti-US sentiment. arabs HATE foreign powers on their soil. much like we would hate it. blue helmets in ohio, anyone?

1. How could we have fought the war on terror without a base of operations in the middle east?

2. In 2002, what middle eastern country had could we invade to establish the base of operations without being perceived as the aggressor?

3. What are the strategic, tactical and political consequences of an American friendly Iraq with respect to the war on terror?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note: I did not say democratic. I said self governed.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
If we stopped buying their freaking oil, the fucking A-rabs wouldn't have a cent to buy toilet paper to wipe their shitty asses with.  Once you take away their "mad" money, you take away all the other bullshit that goes with it.

I'd drill in Alaska just so that we wouldn't have to deal with those fucks.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If we stopped buying their freaking oil, the fucking A-rabs wouldn't have a cent to buy toilet paper to wipe their shitty asses with.  Once you take away their "mad" money, you take away all the other bullshit that goes with it.

I'd drill in Alaska just so that we wouldn't have to deal with those fucks.

And that would help you fight today's war on terror... How?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:33:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Bad idea to leave any bases.  The arab world would just say that we installed a puppet government, instead of a legitimate democracy.

We need to set up the goverment, and get out.  It will allow all the infighting and get rid of the terrorists excuses to continue fighting the new goverment.  Remember, a Goverment for the People, by the People.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bad idea to leave any bases.  The arab world would just say that we installed a puppet government, instead of a legitimate democracy.

We need to set up the goverment, and get out.  It will allow all the infighting and get rid of the terrorists excuses to continue fighting the new goverment.  Remember, a Goverment for the People, by the People.

I disagree. The bases will allow us to fight the war on terror AND apply the leverage necessary to get the other middle eastern countries to crack down on their militants. That after all IS the point AND it's working. The bombings in SA last week were the first sign that the terrorist have turned their sights inward. Those bombings will cause a further crackdown by the Saudis. Such a crackdown has the potential to keep the terrorists busy in their own countries for years.

It's hard to bomb America when you are fighting your own county as well.

Our occupation in Iraq has given us the leverage we need to open a second front against the terrorists.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Same questions as above:
1. How could we have fought the war on terror without a base of operations in the middle east?

2. In 2002, what middle eastern country had could we invade to establish the base of operations without being perceived as the aggressor?

3. What are the strategic, tactical and political consequences of an American friendly Iraq with respect to the war on terror?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top