Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/27/2013 2:38:20 PM EST
Was watching this film Eraserhead on IFC channel the other night,and I can't get what it's about at all.Just too weird for me to even begin to understand.

Can anybody explain this movie?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:45:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 2:45:16 PM EST by ecgRN]

You just getting around to watching that?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:47:41 PM EST
Saw Eraserhead back in 1977. Thought it was hilarious.

Love the Spencer baby. And the chicken dinner.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:48:02 PM EST
One of the craziest fucking movies I have ever watched.

You can't help but keep watching the first time. Don't worry watching again won't help understand it so don't bother.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:52:58 PM EST
I remember reading a review about it once where the critic said: It is not proven that watching a move can cause mental problems, but if it is possible, Eraserhead is the movie to do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:56:48 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ecgRN:

View Quote

No,I've seen it a few times in the past 20 years,but cannot wrap my head around just what it's all about.

What did you get out of it?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 2:57:14 PM EST
David Lynch must have just gotten out of film school when he made that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:22:07 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:26:43 PM EST
What were you on at the time? And how much?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:30:29 PM EST
Remember seeing it at the late show at a movie theater during high school.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:30:33 PM EST
Socially awkward looney bin who hallucinates some fucked up shit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:31:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 3:32:54 PM EST by JTHM242]
Not a clue on what Lynch was trying to say, maybe the whole damn movie is a MacGuffin... It is a brain fuck from hell, and the fact it is B&W seems to make it more so, in color some of the effects would look hokey and lame, in that hyper-exposed B&W, it's down right disturbing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:32:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 3:33:34 PM EST by JTHM242]
D T
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:32:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bushylover:
Socially awkward looney bin who hallucinates some fucked up shit.
View Quote

That's how I remember it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:51:49 PM EST
Any time someone tries to tell me how fucked up some new film is, I think of Eraserhead, and laugh in my mind.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:53:52 PM EST
That one has been on my list for a while. I generally like fucked up movies that make you go but I've never gotten around to Eraserhead yet.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:54:05 PM EST

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:59:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By myco4you:

No,I've seen it a few times in the past 20 years,but cannot wrap my head around just what it's all about.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You just got mind fucked!

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:04:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:10:48 PM EST
Here's my theory on Eraserhead:

The protagonist was an ordinary guy who, in a moment of extreme stress and frustration, killed a baby that would not stop crying. The entire movie is about the thoughts and images which flash through his burning brain, in only a few seconds, as he is executed in an electric chair.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:38:07 PM EST
Imagine you are depressed, possibly suicidal, man living in a gritty polluted rest belt town working an awful job. Now imagine you knock up some girl you have no feelings for and now you're terrified at the prospect of becoming a husband and a father. You feel trapped by your circumstances and you contemplate suicide as the only escape. Now imagine your brain twists all these things into a protracted nightmare one night, with the obscure psychological associations and the surreal logic of terror and anxiety that makes a nightmare so nightmarish. Eraserhead is that nightmare.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:42:28 PM EST
So I am not the only one that liked it right?

I enjoy Lynch's stuff he is one of the more creative guys doing film in the last 30 or so years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:47:54 PM EST
It's one of those movies that stays with you for quite some time after you see it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:19:42 PM EST
Pinhead for the win!

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:28:32 PM EST
Lynch has said that nobody has yet correctly interpreted Eraserhead.
The man in the planet manipulating the levers is especially intriguing to me.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:30:49 PM EST
The whole movie is like a nightmare you have when you're sick with the flu.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:35:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Rokchukrslave:
Lynch has said that nobody has yet correctly interpreted Eraserhead.
The man in the planet manipulating the levers is especially intriguing to me.
View Quote

He has stated a number of times that his non-narrative films are not to be interpreted; there is nothing to figure out.

Granted, one could say that this film does have a loosely bound narrative. Honestly, I feel as though Lynch was exploring and depicting his fear of fatherhood, and the fact that his new role as a father was endangering his future aspirations of becoming a successful artist and filmmaker. Ironically, it was this very fear that propelled him to genius status and secured his future success.

By the way, "The Straight Story" is his best work. Period. Beautiful film.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:39:08 PM EST
I liked the gal with the fucked-up cottage cheese cheeks singing the song "in heaven"..
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:55:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By RightHandTwist:
Here's my theory on Eraserhead:

The protagonist was an ordinary guy who, in a moment of extreme stress and frustration, killed a baby that would not stop crying. The entire movie is about the thoughts and images which flash through his burning brain, in only a few seconds, as he is executed in an electric chair.
View Quote

The way I understood it, he kills himself. He looks into his heater and sees a chubby girl singing "In heaven, everything is fine" with umbilical cords falling onto the stage around her-that's really what they were. One way or another Lynch got ahold of some medical waste to use in the movie. The end of the movie, he is shown hugging the girl who's been singing in his heater.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:56:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By flyhack72:
[

He has stated a number of times that his non-narrative films are not to be interpreted; there is nothing to figure out.

View Quote

So what you're telling us, is Quentin Dupieux got the idea of "No Reason" from David Lynch. Cool.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:03:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2013 7:06:07 PM EST by sleevefullofaces]
Chickens. Little damn things, but they are new!
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:09:08 PM EST
This movie comes up pretty frequently in arfcom movie discussions. I'm about to watch it out of sheer curiosity.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:36:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 1:36:40 PM EST by Ranxerox911]
Was watching this film Eraserhead on IFC channel the other night,and I can't get what it's about at all.Just too weird for me to even begin to understand.

View Quote

I think you summed up my experience watching that movie pretty well - not much else to add.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:02:16 PM EST
Eraserhead is bizarro, fucked up movie.

Who could possibly explain the intestine-like worm baby, or the dancing lady with hedge apple-like cheeks, stepping on and crushing giant sperm cells.

"Liquid Sky" is another bizarre movie, but at least it has a strange plot you can get the jest of.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:07:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:10:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/28/2013 2:10:56 PM EST by sbhaven]

View Quote

First time watching a David Lynch movie?

Pretty much all of Lynch's movies are out there. Dune was probably the only movie of his that wasn't all the way out there. And even that movie had some moments.

Did like Twin Peaks though.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:18:19 PM EST
I torrented that flick. Watched it. Deleted it and didn't give it another thought. It's on Youtube now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:22:47 PM EST
Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:36:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By yankee43:

or the dancing lady with hedge apple-like cheeks, stepping on and crushing giant sperm cells.

View Quote

Those "giant sperm cells" are the umbilical cords I mentioned. IIRC Lynch had a friend who worked at a medical lab and got them from him. I also read about a scene involving a nosebleed that I don't remember actually seeing in the movie. Lynch didn't like available Hollywood blood and whipped up a concoction of his own. Used it and gave his actor some pretty nasty chemical burns to the lining of his nose.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:12:26 PM EST
I've never tried to interpret it or explain it. I just experience it. It's one of those DVDs I'll never sell, and I watch it from time to time.

Occasionally, I'll loan it out if I think someone I think will enjoy it. Not often, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:48:45 AM EST
Stanley Kubrick praised Eraserhead as one of the most brilliant feature-length film he ever saw.

From what little Lynch has said about it, it's essentially a film of a nightmare - he was more interested in a mood of dread than a plot.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:32:33 PM EST
After watching Eraserhead, George Lucas wanted David Lynch to direct Star Wars.

Mulholland Drive is equally worthwhile.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:35:28 PM EST

View Quote

Surrealism. The dude is caring for his deformed child, hallucinating, and all around havin a miserable time.

So, basically, like real life, but in black and white.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:37:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By sleevefullofaces:
Chickens. Little damn things, but they are new!
View Quote
Littler than my fist!!!
Top Top