Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
6/25/2018 7:04:05 PM
Posted: 8/12/2018 11:31:19 AM EDT
We have been looking to buy an entry level DSLR for our first baby (due in a month).

I've looked at the Canon T6, T6i, T7i and SL2 vs Nikon D3400 and possibly D5600.

We want to stay in the $600 range and have seen the body and 2 lens kit deals. All the reading I've done has me wanting to go with the D3400 for cost/benefit and avoid the T6 and T6i.

Should the kits with the 2 lenses be avoided and we buy the body and a lens separate? Deals like the one at Best Buy or Amazon on the D3400 with 2 lenses are enticing.

Amazon

Best Buy

Any input would be appreciated. We don't want to make this complicated but would love to have many nice pictures of the new baby.

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:32:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:55:39 AM EDT
I've got a 3400 that I picked up on a black Friday deal a couple years ago. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I can take some decent photos with it. I went entry level, because I don't use it enough to have bought something any more expensive.

Youtube tutorials are your best friend.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:10:20 PM EDT
I have a nikon d3300. I sometimes regret not going with a Canon, but only because the bottom tier of lenses and flashes seem to be a bit cheaper.

In a Canon, the focusing motor is in the body of the camera. In the nikon, it's in the lens. This makes the Nikon lenses slightly more expensive. OTOH, it also means if a motor fails, you're out one lens, as opposed to the whole camera. From what I've seen, failure isnt really an issue in either brand.

I agonized over the same decision for a long time. On one of the forums I saw a reply to another "what camera should I buy" topic that said something to the effect of, "The most basic dSLR has more features and is capable of taking better pictures than any camera Ansel Adams even dreamed of using." After seeing that, I realized that the PHOTOGRAPHER is the biggest part of the equation, and I picked the one that felt best in my hand.

Figure out your white balance settings and the relationship between ISO, shutter speed and aperture and you'll be on your way.

My phone does take some really nice pictures, but when it comes to portraits, or something I'd like to blow up to 8x10, my dSLR does way better.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 1:13:05 PM EDT
I don't think that your baby will be able to hold that thing up for a few years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:31:50 PM EDT
I went mirrorless and did the panasonic g7

Bonus is videos at 4k 30fps.
Top Top