Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 12:00:59 PM EDT
More reports that the Vice President, Treasury Secretary, and Commerce Secretary had multiple private interviews with executives of Enron.

Ashcroft has recused himself from the investigation because Enron contributed heavily to his failed senate campaign in 2000.  

How damaging is this going to be in 02? Lots of rank and file Enron people had their 401k's wiped out by this mess. How can the Administration act to prove that they had nothing to do with it? Prosecution of the top execs who used inside info to bail out first?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Our buddies the Dems are gonna try and say that;
A.  The administration was part of this mess
B.  The administration could have stepped in and stopped this.

Both of these arguments will be bullshit, because Enron was on the way down for a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGG time.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Call it an intuition but I think the administration is clean.  So far no laws have been broken.  My opinion is that the liberal media is using anything they can to derail the administration's success.

BTW:  How can someone be a liberal and a gun-rights advocate?  The two are incompatible.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#3]
According to Rush Limbaugh, the total amount Enron exec's contributed to GW's campaigns over a 20 year period amounts to about $800k. That's about the same amount as Klinton's Chicom buddies raised in ONE White House "coffee". The Dem's are screaming because GW's lifetime campaign fund raising is around $140 million. Trouble is, proving any was illegal.
Also, take into account that GW himself asked the Justice Dept. to look in to this mess. He said he was aware that the Enron exec's had lobbied the White House for a bailout, but were denied.
Pure Democrap politicin'.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
According to Rush Limbaugh, the total amount Enron exec's contributed to GW's campaigns over a 20 year period amounts to about $800k. That's about the same amount as Klinton's Chicom buddies raised in ONE White House "coffee". The Dem's are screaming because GW's lifetime campaign fund raising is around $140 million. Trouble is, proving any was illegal.
Also, take into account that GW himself asked the Justice Dept. to look in to this mess. He said he was aware that the Enron exec's had lobbied the White House for a bailout, but were denied.
Pure Democrap politicin'.
View Quote

Given the number of rank and file Enron people who lost money, its the APPERANCE of impropriety, not the actual legality that we have to be worried about.  What the media will make of it is what we have to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Let's not forget about Clinton/Enron:
[url]http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm[/url]

I believe GWB to be a moral man of integrity.  I doubt anything wrong went on.  It looks like Enron was looking for help.  Just because they talked to the Whitehouse doesn't mean they got any help from them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you fishing?  Are these questions rhetorical or are you engaging in some wishful thinking?

I don't think the Dems will be successful in tarring Bush or any of his lieutenants with this brush.  They all divested early in the administration.  They all recommended letting ENRON sink [painfully, but die, nonetheless] when asked for assistance last year and all will survive...even old Dubya (Much to the horror and rage of the liberals!).

Not that they won't try...aided and abbetted by their soul mates in the media.  The campaign has already started, as proven by the huge coverage in last night's network news.  From now on, this story is page one above the fold, bold headlines in every liberal rag across the country as everbody piles on, and it's the lead story on every [liberal] network but Fox.

A bit scary...yes.  Insurmountable...no.

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#7]
If there was some hanky panky they sure didn't get their monies worth. I mean after all they are out of business. President Bush has nothing to do with this. More Daschle mud slinging.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I am scared and you all should be too.

This could be very bad for the 02 elections.  Right now the Republicans stand to gain seats, which means no more Gun Control laws, no reauthorization of the 94' assualt weapons law. No Congressional retaliation to a favorable ruling from the Supreme Court to Emerson.

The Dems really needed somthing like this to appear and lo and behold it did. Now how much oomph is this going to give them?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Enron was on the decline over a year ago. So...it's Klinton's fault. Plus, I don't hear Daeschle isn't admitting that he took money.

Talyn
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Enron was on the decline over a year ago. So...it's Klinton's fault. Plus, I don't hear Daeschle isn't admitting that he took money.

Talyn
View Quote

Enron's failure is Klinton's fault? Was he running Enron? You are a blamer! I bet your wife leaves the toilet seat up all the time!.

Maybe they would have remained solvent if they had not bought off so many politicians votes to open ANWR!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Is this bad ? Probably.  It cannot be good.
No one knows how bad because the facts (?) are still coming out and will for a long time to come.

Government oficials, Republican government officals recusing themselves - correct and necessary but not good.

The accounting firm of Arthur Anderson destroying documents - not good.

The appearance of impropriety (cr. to Armed L) may very well be the worst there is.  However the Dim's and the so-called main stream media can make this a very bad situation.  "What did______know and when did he/she know it ??"  Just this type question asked by Dan Blather and cronies makes for trouble.

Bush is still mostly protected as a "war" president.  But still.......

All the usual tools of the left will be put into play on this one - truths (limited) half-truths, lies, innuendo, rumor, unsubstantiated rumor to mention a few.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like some facts are coming out that Enron was greasing both sides of the isle.  I have a feeling that a lot of demo stuff will be coming out too on enron....

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2.htm

Interesting...this may come back to bite the liberals in their asses.  [shock]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
What protection is Bush guaranteed as long as a war is going? None?

I thought that a new government had been installed by the UN, and Afghanistan as a "front" was getting to be a mop up operation.

On the news here in Phoenix today they were happy to report that the Mexicans running a Meth lab that got raided had no terrorist connections.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Of coursde this will hurt the 2002 elections.

Think about it.  The smear campaign doesn't [i]have[/i] to be true, the Libs just have to repeat it enough and the sheeple will follow the BS story.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general population.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Never underestimate the stupidity of the general population.
View Quote

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BTW:  How can someone be a liberal and a gun-rights advocate?  The two are incompatible.
View Quote

How about Republican gun control advocates? I've met a few.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Enron and the White House story is, at best, a somewhat extreme example of the corporate corruption of our gov't which is the status quo.

If anything, the media should have been alarmed at the Clinton administration's compliance with the ChiComs in fundraising and stealing high tech nuclear secrets.  Absolutely nothing was made of this.  The Chinese actually came out in full support of the Gore campaign during the election, while Bush was disdained.  What does all this tell you?

Of course, NOTHING was made of this egregious breach of national security, while democrats clamber on the Enron scandal, looking for payback for all the times the Republicans had the temerity to call Clinton on his abject corruption.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

How about Republican gun control advocates? I've met a few.
View Quote

Half the New York congressional delegation fall into that catagory.  As well as Rudi and his replacement...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Clinton & Whitewater?! Nail that bastard!! Bush & Enron? Hey, let's everybody calm down and wait for concrete evidence. Some of you guys need to pull your heads out of your as...er, the sand.

Nothing has changed. NOTHING. Corporations play both sides when buying politicians. Now, I think Bush is handling 9/11 much better than Gore would have - hell, he'd still be polling for opinions on what to do - but does no one find alarming the fact that Enron was the only company asked to meet with Cheney regarding the country's energy policy? Behind closed doors and then basically saying to Congress "none of your business"? Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft, O'Neill, Evans,....Jesus Christ, wake up!

And does no one find alarming that Racicot is appointed the NRC chairman while still being allowed to perform as a corporate lobbyist? Do you want your party's chairman setting and recommending policies and directions benefitting corporations and pocketing a fat fee from them? Stop being blindly partisan and take a closer look at what's going on with this administration!

Before some of you start in with that you-must-be-a-goddamned-Liberal crap, I've always voted independent, and I actually pay attention to what these guys do (records are public info, use them) instead of listening to what Hannity, Drudge, King, Rather, or the Almighty Rush tells me.

Think for yourselves. Stop ranting at ignorant 2nd Amendment sheeple while baa-ing your way behind your party. Question, question, question.

Ok, back in my hole for another month...    
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Enron, What's Going On?
http://www.boortz.com/nealznuz.htm

By Neal Boortz

Do you want an 60-second rendition of just what all this Enron stuff is all about?

OK .. here you go.

Enron was the nation’s seventh largest corporation in terms of revenue. Enron would buy natural gas and electrical energy from producers and re-sell those commodities to distributors and consumers. Enron was apparently cooking the book. Enron was heavily in debt, but the debt was hidden in various partnerships. Eventually the house of cards caved in and Enron tanked. Many Enron employees and investors literally lost most of their life savings.

Enron’s connection to President Bush? The corporation and it’s top official contributed heavily to Bush’s various political campaigns. Also – when the financial cave in began at Enron some Enron officials had meetings with Bush Administration officials seeking help.

That’s just about it. This is the synopsis for the “scandal” that many in our wonderful news media say could be “as big as Whitewater.”

So, you want to compare Bush/Enron with Clinton/Madison Guaranty and the Whitewater scandal? Fine! Let’s go for it. For starters:

Can you show me any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that George W. Bush or anyone working for George W. Bush did anything to help Enron hide its financial misdeeds?

Can you name one Bush family member who received money from Enron for professional services – as an attorney, for instance?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Can you show any loans to George W. Bush or any of his family members from Enron or from any of Enron’s principals?

Can you show that George W. Bush invested in Enron and that that investment was subsequently protected by Enron officials when the financial picture started to fall apart.
Can you provide me with any evidence that any administration official, from Bush’s years as Governor of Texas or since he became president, has taken any action whatsoever to prevent, stall or impede an investigation by any government regulatory agency, either state or federal, into the financial affairs of Enron?

Can you provide any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of any sexual relations between George W. Bush and any officer or the wife of any officer of Enron?

Can you produce evidence that either Enron or any Enron official ever made payments on any promissory obligation of George W. Bush or any member of his family?

Can you introduce any evidence that George W. Bush, or any member of his immediate family, ever participated in the preparation of any legal documents drawn for the sole purpose of defrauding the federal government?

Can you show that either George W. Bush or any member of his administration or his immediate family has lied, whether under oath or not, about any aspect of his relationship with Enron or any Enron officials?

Can you provide me the name of any Enron official who is presently serving time in jail for contempt of court for his or her refusal to answer questions under oath about the role of George W. Bush or any member of his family or administration in dealings with Enron?

Can you show me that any pertinent documents relating to Enron, which documents were once in the possession of George W. Bush, any member of his immediately family or any administration official has been destroyed, lost, shredded or otherwise disposed of?

Explain just why there is so much criticism of George W. Bush over the Enron debacle while Enron is being represented in Washington by Bill Clinton’s former attorney.

But, you say, Enron talked to Bush officials when they knew they were in trouble? So? Didn’t airline representatives talk to both Republican and Democratic officials in Washington when they found themselves in trouble? Didn’t Chrysler make a trip to Washington decades ago when it hit some rough roads? It’s pretty much standard practice for huge corporation to go to Washington when the going gets rough. Sometimes you see a bail-out as you did with the airlines and Chrysler. Sometimes the corporate officials learn that they are going to have to go it on their own.

Democrats and Clinton-lovers are just salivating on this one. They are trying to convince the myrmidons that Enron is Bush’s Whitewater. As you can see from the list above, this is a tough play to run. It doesn’t matter, though, because the vast majority of people in this country – including most Democratic voters – don’t have the intellectual curiosity to delve into the situation. They’ll believe what their favorite politician says – or what they hear from their favorite news anchors – and that will pretty much be it.

If there’s any fraud, criminal conduct or ethical violations here … show me the proof. I’ll be right there with you demanding appropriate action.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
You folks are missing a very basic fact in all of this. It's called Divide and Conquer. But hold on, it's not the us against them schtick I'm talking about. You folks all believe there is a difference between the Reps and the Dems. There is not. The political parties are one and the same.

Bush, Cheney, Ashcroft and their oil and intelligence buddies are in on this Enron scandal, but so are the Democracts of all flavors. This is how they keep winning the battles. Every once in a while, they let us think that we threw the old corrupt bastards out and put new angelic ones in. When in truth, we have just voted in more corrupt bastards and the raping and pillaging of the Constitution and BOR continues unabated.

And before you folks attempt to call me a Democrat lover or some other vile thing, let me lay it out for you. I believe in the Consitution and Bill of Rights. The rights contained therein are ABSOLUTE. Anyone who consciously and willfully infringes either of these is guilty of TREASON and should be shot, plain and simple. Now if there were a political party with this belief as a foundation, that would be my party.

The time is very near indeed when the true purpose of our beloved firearms will be our only salvation *outside of Divine intervention) from the coming death and enslavement.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top