Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 12:31:33 PM EDT
...You cash cows just ready to be milked.

Patent

"The operating system can disable one or more functions while the
advertisement is being presented," the application reads. "At the end of
the advertisement, the operating system can again enable the
function(s). The advertisement can be visual or audible. The
presentation of the advertisement(s) can be made as part of an approach
where the user obtains a good or service, such as the operating system,
for free or at reduced cost."

Not just for handhelds, desktops included.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Ghey. The local OS is going to be replaced by Virtual Desktops in the future anyways. Not worried. And do not want.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:34:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't be upgrading to that crap.

And just wait, Microcrap will be stealing it as soon as they see it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ghey. The local OS is going to be replaced by Virtual Desktops in the future anyways. Not worried. And do not want.

We are a long way from mainstream adoption of the OS as a service, especially in the household realm.  (which is what I presume you mean by the Virtual Desktops).
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It will only be within apps from the app store.  Not too worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

True. Cloud computing is probably the way of the future...
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't try and bring down MS when Apple is the one playing the games..........MS does not need to make money off of ads they are they most profitable company in the industry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't try and bring down MS when Apple is the one playing the games..........MS does not need to make money off of ads they are they most profitable company in the industry.

They've stolen so much to date from Apple... why wouldn't they steal this?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Apple ripped off Xerox...

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Stupid question, but hasn't that 'technology" been patented already?  Isn't that the same method they use to prevent you from skipping through the anti-piracy and previews at the beginning of DVD movies?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

George Bush.... sound familiar?

Apple is high.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they have stolen the good ideas and so has Apple stolen good ideas hell Steve jobs even admits to it, MS will not take this one because 1 they don't need to and their are no MS fanboys, so no one to put up with this type of stupidity.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And Apple ripped off Xerox...

Quite the heist too.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#14]
If apple gives away these phones and service then you go apple.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Stupid question, but hasn't that 'technology" been patented already?  Isn't that the same method they use to prevent you from skipping through the anti-piracy and previews at the beginning of DVD movies?

This is tied into the operating systems, for all apple operating systems, not apps in the app store.

Kind of like Windows 7 (not a program, but the OS) not allowing you to do anything else with the OS until after the advertisement is over.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I remember the hubbub when Apple, after years of telling their customers "We'll never charge you for operating system upgrades" suddenly had a change of heart when they were about to release Mac OS7.

So much for the "groovy peace & love anti-establishment" side winning out over the "suit wearing 'greed is good' " side.

ROFL. I remember all of that as well.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is tied into the operating systems, for all apple operating systems, not apps in the app store.

Kind of like Windows 7 (not a program, but the OS) not allowing you to do anything else with the OS until after the advertisement is over.

If MS did this, the business world would go Linux overnight.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#18]
so the way I read it, is if you get the free or reduced cost you watch ads?  why not just buy the full retail version and not worry about it.

reminds me of net-zero, or whatever that was back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, about the only thing keeping us a MS shop is ease of used based on familiarity.  If the ease of use part went away, I would roll out Ubuntu within 48 hours.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, about the only thing keeping us a MS shop is ease of used based on familiarity.  If the ease of use part went away, I would roll out Ubuntu within 48 hours.

Users. /Linux.

LOL.

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Question, how many computer operating system patents are actually practiced in commercial products?

Answer, only a tiny fraction of them.

There are millions of more imminent issues to wring your hands over.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Users. /Linux.

LOL.

Oh, there would be endless complaining but they would get over it quickly if they had no choice but to sit through an add every time they clicked something stupid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 12:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow that would be a nightmare for the lUsers..

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Question, how many computer operating system patents are actually practiced in commercial products?

Answer, only a tiny fraction of them.

There are millions of more imminent issues to wring your hands over.

Yes, Defend the Faith Brother!

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they have stolen the good ideas and so has Apple stolen good ideas hell Steve jobs even admits to it, MS will not take this one because 1 they don't need to and their are no MS fanboys, so no one to put up with this type of stupidity.

bull crap. Once MS figures out they can make EVEN more money, they'll be all over it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#26]
They're doing it to their smartphone OS ...

What makes you think they won't add it to their computer OS?
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#27]
This is complete BS.  It's a patent.  Apple has patents on thousands of things.  Just because they patent something doesn't mean they're ever going to use it in the way you might think they will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top