Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 6:33:15 AM EDT
So I'm watching TV, and I see an add for a new TV show about doctors called House.

I notice that the main character is played by the great Hugh Laury or Blackadder fame, but he is speaking with COMPLETELY NO ENGLISH ACCENT.

So will someone please explain to me WTF it's so difficult for US to mimic Australian or English accents, but THEY can immitate OURS so easily?

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#1]
[yeah ...I've got small kids....what of it?]

He also did that for the "Stuart Little" franchise of movies...

How about Joely Richardson in Nip/Tuck? Or Patriot?

(edited to remove photo link)
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#2]
It is called acting!

Ever notice in movies like Cold Mountain & The Ya-Ya sisterhood" how the English play all the southern roles?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I never really noticed that.  English playing Southerners, eh?  That's a feat!

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:16:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So I'm watching TV, and I see an add for a new TV show about doctors called House.

I notice that the main character is played by the great Hugh Laury or Blackadder fame, but he is speaking with COMPLETELY NO ENGLISH ACCENT.

So will someone please explain to me WTF it's so difficult for US to mimic Australian or English accents, but THEY can immitate OURS so easily?

Simple really. I can't imitate gay people.

ETA: Zaphod, did you hear they're making a "Hitchikers Guide" movie? Should be cool.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:16:16 AM EDT
[#6]
It's not acting at all, actually.  The real reason Brits can do american accents so easily is that they have see a constant barrage of American movies and television.  You'll notice that even Brits with no acting experience at all can easily mimic our accent.

This is actually the same reason that americans are losing thier regional accents as well.  The accent's are growing milder and milder all the time.

This is also part of the reason that so m,uch of the world speaks english (although our economic dominace is also very important, watching amercian media makes it easier to pick up the lingo).
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It's not acting at all, actually.  The real reason Brits can do american accents so easily is that they have see a constant barrage of American movies and television.  You'll notice that even Brits with no acting experience at all can easily mimic our accent.

This is actually the same reason that americans are losing thier regional accents as well.  The accent's are growing milder and milder all the time.

This is also part of the reason that so m,uch of the world speaks english (although our economic dominace is also very important, watching amercian media makes it easier to pick up the lingo).

I agree 100%. And it's sad that our regional accents are going away. It's no fun if we all sound the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree 100%. And it's sad that our regional accents are going away. It's no fun if we all sound the same.

Except Boston and New York accents.  I cant stand their obnoxious whine of an accent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Don't worry, the next linguistic wave of Spanish influencing/crowding out English will keep Americans from sounding the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except Boston and New York accents.  I cant stand their obnoxious whine of an accent.

I had to work with these guys from NYC a couple of years ago on a project in Florida. They sounded pissed off. It took me a while to figure out they weren't actually mad at anybody - they just sounded that way. They also complained about us Californians:

NYC: "With you guys, everything is like 'Hey man', or 'wow man, that's a bummer'. You guys sound like pussies"

ME: "Yes man, all my brain cells are now saying Hello Horse, and I have once more the power of a spaced out camel. Across the desert sands, man, I am creeping out of this doorway. Numerous incredible subtleties are now appearing to me, man, of rare and extraordinary design and the one I must select and concentrate on is the one which keeps me from being struck by the Bowery Avenue BUS, watch out, man!"

Ok, Ok, I didn't quote William Kotzwinkle, but I did have fun with the guys from New York. The best part is when we went out for lunch and ordered pizza. I ordered Canadian bacon and pineapple. I then told them that this was a REAL pizza, unlike that crap they eat. That one REALLY got them going (where was that thread about being a troll in real life? ).  To make matters worse, I ordered a side of ranch dressing. I thought they were going to hang me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:05:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ETA: Zaphod, did you hear they're making a "Hitchikers Guide" movie? Should be cool.

No, I hadn't !

THAT should be interesting, IF they do it right!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#12]
You wankers making jest of us?

Go bugger yourself (in your pooper).
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to work with these guys from NYC a couple of years ago on a project in Florida. They sounded pissed off. It took me a while to figure out they weren't actually mad at anybody - they just sounded that way. They also complained about us Californians:

NYC: "With you guys, everything is like 'Hey man', or 'wow man, that's a bummer'. You guys sound like pussies"

ME: "Yes man, all my brain cells are now saying Hello Horse, and I have once more the power of a spaced out camel. Across the desert sands, man, I am creeping out of this doorway. Numerous incredible subtleties are now appearing to me, man, of rare and extraordinary design and the one I must select and concentrate on is the one which keeps me from being struck by the Bowery Avenue BUS, watch out, man!"

Ok, Ok, I didn't quote William Kotzwinkle, but I did have fun with the guys from New York. The best part is when we went out for lunch and ordered pizza. I ordered Canadian bacon and pineapple. I then told them that this was a REAL pizza, unlike that crap they eat. That one REALLY got them going (where was that thread about being a troll in real life? ).  To make matters worse, I ordered a side of ranch dressing. I thought they were going to hang me.

If they didn't say "youse guys", they weren't REAL New Yorkers lol.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I hadn't !

THAT should be interesting, IF they do it right!

Yeah, IF they do. I hear Mos Def is playing Ford Prefect. Not sure how I feel about that. It's been a while since I checked up on it, should see who else is in the cast list.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Oddness....I find it easy to mimic an English accent...I actually was at summer camp one time and we were doing skit night and doing a skit about the councilers and I got to be one of the councilers with an English accent because I was the only one in the cabin who could do it right...It's not that hard really...
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]
You're all taking the piss, surely?

How about Hugh Jackman, whose American accent sounds terrible?  How about Michael Caine, think he could do an American?  It's just talent, some of the Brits have it.

G23c
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]
hold your tongue to the bottom of your mouth when you speak for  a starting UKaccent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
hold your tongue to the bottom of your mouth when you speak for  a starting UKaccent.

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]
hey, i can do a great Texas drawl...

oh nevermind.

AAWWWW SSSHHHEEEETTT!
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Americans speak slow

nuff said
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The fat guy on Still Standing (sit-com) is British, but plays at having a Chicago (Chicagan?) accent.  He was in the Full Monty among others.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/still_standing/
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#22]
oy...what the bloody 'ell are you on about...you f***in' git...some of us can do a great English accent mate.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I can do several very good accents... including several British ones...

BTW, there is no such thing as just a British accent... there's a Yorkshire brogue, a Kent accent, a Cockney accent, etc. Ever see "My Fair Lady?" It's pretty accurate.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#24]
They have an accent? I never noticed... Now you guys from the south sound funny.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I am pretty good at a UK accent.

MagKnight, the one accent, the name of which I can't remember, is the most common in the UK. Its the one actors prefer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Many of the actors in BHD are British. Eric Bana (Hoot) is Autralian. I only here the Aussie come out once or twice.

Collin Farrel has an Irish accent he can totally drop.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

MagKnight, the one accent, the name of which I can't remember, is the most common in the UK. Its the one actors prefer.

Cockney
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

MagKnight, the one accent, the name of which I can't remember, is the most common in the UK. Its the one actors prefer

Yeah, you're right.

Oddly enough, I used to be asked constantly if I was English, I guess because I spoke very precisely. It got annoying, so I trained myself to have a minor southern accent, although now it's more a combo light southern/very light Brooklyn.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MagKnight, the one accent, the name of which I can't remember, is the most common in the UK. Its the one actors prefer

Yeah, you're right.

Oddly enough, I used to be asked constantly if I was English, I guess because I spoke very precisely. It got annoying, so I trained myself to have a minor southern accent, although now it's more a combo light southern/very light Brooklyn.

Actors in older black and white films sounded almost British.

I am seriously considering affecting a southern accent. I like how idiots respond to it. They think you're stupid and they don't know when to quit arguing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top