Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 11:31:26 PM EDT
After working as an applications engineer for 6 years, I grew an intense dislike for most of our sales force. A lot of them are lazy, stupid, and overly demanding. They also seem to throw way too much weight around to the point where they routinely override sound engineering with pie-in-the-sky sales numbers. At least in my company, they run the joint. Engineers are just an accessory for their asinine ventures.

Any other engineers feel the same way?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a hybrid of both.

I'm an A personality engineer. Lol!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Yes.

So I became a salesman.

Now I design the projects the way I want, then I get the fun of selling them!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#3]
We must work at the same place!!! I have to show this to our chief engineer. I manage the production of our assembly, him and I were just discussing the same exact thing yesterday. It's almost unreal how every time we turn around we are having to jump through hoops on their "sale". It's getting to a ponit where it's UN FUCKING REAL
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes.

So I became a salesman.

Now I design the projects the way I want, then I get the fun of selling them!
View Quote

We do have sales guys that work just like you. We think the world of them, but they're so rare.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
So, I over-promised.  Come on boys, you can do it, it's easy!

Then you do it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The saying goes" Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part"
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then you do it.

View Quote

Yup, I hear that shit all the time.

Salesmen: So I gave the customer 75% off a completely custom part that we never designed before. Hey, there's the potential to sell $40,000,000 of these for an industry that's a complete roller coaster. Oh, I have no proof of that these numbers will come to pass and no commitment from the customer.

Engineer: Part cannot be designed w/o losing money. Also, we can't design a complete prototype in 6 months. Design will take 6 months, testing another 6 months.

Salesmen: Fuck testing, just make it! Wtf is your problem?

Sales manager: Make that shit in 4 months, or you're fired. *Jerks off to phantom $40,000,000 figure.

Based on a true, ongoing story.

Oh, it doesn't help that sales isn't paid on margin; just gross. Total bullshit.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't worry. Good CEO's and upper management know better... Or they should. When things look grim you keep the talent that brought you the goods. You don't fire Engineers to keep sales people and cleaning people. You hire more engineers to innovate ... Or die !
Good product sells itself !

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
As a PM who gets drug into sales meetings with both sides, I generally hate you both equally.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Don't worry. Good CEO's and upper management know better... Or they should. When things look grim you keep the talent that brought you the goods. You don't fire Engineers to keep sales people and cleaning people. You hire more engineers to innovate ... Or die !

View Quote

A big +1!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:55:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Meh,  your over engineered, under built, over priced crap with  jacked up buggy software is hard to sell,  and all the engineers I've seen were allergic to any and all interaction with the customer base because they could not take the railing critical  and practical breakdown of how their precious creation was lacking, not to mention they can't stand the confrontational nature of the sales process.

Most of your screw ups are fixed, figured out and  your ass is covered by high school grads with 15-20  years as a tech that are now customer service reps working with savy salesmen who are neither dumb nor lazy or they wouldn't last 10 minutes in the profession.  You just don't have a clue what they do.

Guess what I do for a living.

Effing engineers  HA!
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Then you do it.

I feel your pain, but have also experienced: "Oh, by the way this [whatever] will now be twice the size and weight that I originally told you.  No big deal, right?"

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After working as an applications engineer for 6 years, I grew an intense dislike for most of our sales force. A lot of them are lazy, stupid, and overly demanding. They also seem to throw way too much weight around to the point where they routinely override sound engineering with pie-in-the-sky sales numbers. At least in my company, they run the joint. Engineers are just an accessory for their asinine ventures.

View Quote

Question from a buyer- does an engineering degree come with a free case of aspbergers? Finding an engineer that isn't socially retarded is a needle in a haystack
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:04:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Question from a buyer- does an engineering degree come with a free case of aspbergers? Finding an engineer that isn't socially retarded is a needle in a haystack
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good engineers usually cost lots of money.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is some funny shit right there.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least in my place of work, engineers have constant interaction with customers. We're completely accessible to any customer, up to face-to-face visits around the US.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Types of engineers I have encountered:
Literal: writes down everything you say - including Dick jokes
Suicidal: is ready to jump off a bridge at the slightest suggestion that you might want to change something they have done
Know-it-all (99% of all engineers): they're. So fucking smart that all customer input is ignored-engineers know better

I could go on all night
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#19]
No spekee no English - fucking Jersey. Are all of they're engineers from China?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:13:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Dilbert has this well covered.  Funny because it is true,and applies about everywhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#21]
ZERO COMMON SENSE: Can design the most badass car you've ever seen, but can't comprehend why you could possibly need or want a steering wheel
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

From my experience it is usually more like Tourette's.  I have been in many board rooms where I would have been better off inviting Gary Busey than a highly talented, prima donna engineer.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:16:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oops.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you know why salesmen wear a tie, to keep the fore skin rolled down
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:21:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oops.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops.

Goddamn apple engineers and their fucking autocorrect. Takes 3x longer to type. Thanks but no thanks you fucking aspies
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Goddamn apple engineers and their fucking autocorrect. Takes 3x longer to type. Thanks but no thanks you fucking aspies
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops.

Try again.  Autocorrect won't replace a properly spelled their with they're.  Goddamn engineers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:32:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Thank God for the grammar douches
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I dislike both.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#29]
lol  Let the sales guys design something.  That would be rich.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

After working as an machinist for 8 years, I grew an intense dislike for most of our engineers. A lot of them are lazy, stupid, and overly demanding. They also seem to throw way too much weight around to the point where they routinely override sound machining with pie-in-the-sky engineering attempts. At least in my company, they run the joint. Machinists are just an accessory for their asinine ventures.

Any other machinists feel the same way?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've. Never seen a Swiss army knife?

Bonus autocorrect in there for you graammar homos. I' m going to add that as an other category of retarted engineers.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:52:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Hahah you too, most all engineers see sales staff in this light....Fuck sales!
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to start thinking like an engineer AND a salesman.

Stop griping.  It won't get you anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bonus autocorrect in there for you graammar homos. I' m going to add that as an other category of retarted engineers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem to be upset that you got caught making up a bullshit excuse for your typo.  I know what category of salesman you belong in.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe something dynamic?
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You seem to be upset that you got caught making up a bullshit excuse for your typo.  I know what category of salesman you belong in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SINGLE-MINDED: Can only focusxon one issue, regardless if it is relevant or not. e.g. an engineer who is preoccupied with parallax - in an all digital system.

Yes, I probably spent twice as long correcting. The auto-corrections, but as long as the Swedish fish is happy...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:36:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My job (as an engineer) is 85% contractor wrangling. You can't be socially retarded and even semi productive.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:39:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of the engineers I work with are socially retarded.

Maybe your place needs to find better engineers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:04:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

SINGLE-MINDED: Can only focusxon one issue, regardless if it is relevant or not. e.g. an engineer who is preoccupied with parallax - in an all digital system.

Yes, I probably spent twice as long correcting. The auto-corrections, but as long as the Swedish fish is happy...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blaming the engineers for your mistake didn't work so let's try deflection.  I've definitely got your category pegged.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL. Hilarious because it's mainly true.

A well designed product is worthless if it is not profitable or manufacturable. I've worked with countless engineers that could not grasp this.

And no, great product does not sell itself in all industries. Especially where competition is fierce.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top