Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/15/2006 4:42:13 AM EST
I have a pair of Energizer Titanium e2 batteries (AA) That I used in my TV remote.
This morning I went to turn on the TV and felt that the remote was VERY warm. It was so warm that the spot on the sofa it sat on was also warmed up.

I popped the batteries and wow, the batteries were the heat source! They felt like they were being charged.

I removed the batteries from the circuit for over 3 hours and they are still warm to the touch. Any ideas?

The voltage reads 1.0VDC - 1.10 VDC so they're pretty weak.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:05:29 AM EST
I would call the company up on their toll-free 800 and ask them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:05:38 AM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I have a pair of Energizer Titanium e2 batteries (AA) That I used in my TV remote.
This morning I went to turn on the TV and felt that the remote was VERY warm. It was so warm that the spot on the sofa it sat on was also warmed up.

I popped the batteries and wow, the batteries were the heat source! They felt like they were being charged.

I removed the batteries from the circuit for over 3 hours and they are still warm to the touch. Any ideas?

The voltage reads 1.0VDC - 1.10 VDC so they're pretty weak.



That is definately not normal. Call Energizer ASAP. Also thow the batteries in the trash because there is a possibility that they might explode.

Also make shure to draw down on them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:08:29 AM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I have a pair of Energizer Titanium e2 batteries (AA) That I used in my TV remote.



If you are referring to the Energizer Lithium E2 batteries they are 1.5V instead of 1.2V like AA Alkalines.

Save the expensive E2 batteries for your LED flashlights. Use "dead" alkalines in your TV remote. TV remotes are really low draw and you can power the remote for months on batteries that wont even light a flashlight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:25:07 AM EST
Most likely an internal short. Dispose of them before they leak or pop.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:25:51 AM EST
I used them for several months (if not years?) w/o any problems. This morning was the first time they heated up. They are now at 0.7VDC each and I suspect the heat came from the built-in voltage monitoring thingies (that you squeeze together to get it to light up). They must have been stuck or something causing the heat to spread through the battery.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:25:51 AM EST
if they're lithium base batteries, you'd be smart to take them outside....
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:10:18 AM EST
They're titanium
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:12:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:
They're titanium



Well then, you won't have to worry about a lithium fire in your living room, will you?

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:24:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 8:25:03 AM EST by Skibane]

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
If you are referring to the Energizer Lithium E2 batteries they are 1.5V instead of 1.2V like AA Alkalines.



Fully-charged Alkalines are 1.5 volts.
Fully-charged NiCads and NiMH batteries are 1.2 volts.
Fully-charged Lithiums (the non-rechargeable kind) are anywhere from 1.7 to 1.9 volts, depending on brand and batch.

If BOTH batteries are hot, the cause is probably a short circuit inside your remote, since the chances of two batteries going bad simultaneously are very...um, remote. When they are required to produce tremendous amounts of current (such as when connected to a short circuit), they can get pretty hot.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:27:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/15/2006 8:30:31 AM EST by oneshot1kill]
Not good, these are defective batteries.

I use e2's at work every day in my Streamlight Stylus, been using them for several years and never saw this happen before.



Edit:
Skibane makes a very good point, could be a short in your remote, that would also explain the battery voltage going low so quickly.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:30:20 AM EST
I plopped another pair of regular alkalines into the same remote and they are not heating up.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 8:32:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I plopped another pair of regular alkalines into the same remote and they are not heating up.



In that case, send Energizer a polite email, they may send you some cupons.
Top Top