Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 9:55:15 PM EDT
Anyone read it?

Any good?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember reading it in 8th grade. I thought it was pretty good at the time.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#2]
KICK ASS BOOK!!!!  Read it like 100 times....
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I read it just a few months ago. I liked it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
read Ender's war and Ender's game, loved it wish i could find my old copy of it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Good book.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes it's a good book.

Orson Scott Card does a great job of writing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
He writes the children characters in a unique way, IMO.  Think back to when you were a kid, do you remember your thoughts and way of thinking being muc different from the way you think now?  Card makes the kids smart and resourceful.  I read the whole series and I remember thinking, "yeah, I would have done that, or thought of that too."
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Read the whole series. Great books.

Read other OSC books, Great author.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Great book.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Read the whole series. Great books.

Read other OSC books, Great author.

+1
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:39:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to be negative but...

I thought it was pretty good also, until I read a few other Orson Scott Card books. A pattern emerged, which caused me to conclude his books are written for pedophiles, most likely by a pedophile. Pretty much all of them feature young boys, lots of nudity, often in homosexual situations. Card understands boys a little too well.

I have something like six hundred scifi/fantasy books in my library, Card is the only one who's books scream "pedophile fantasy" to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#12]
read it as a kid. Ok book.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Great book, the sequels kinda suck though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I thought it was pretty good also, until I read a few other Orson Scott Card books. A pattern emerged, which caused me to conclude his books are written for pedophiles, most likely by a pedophile. Pretty much all of them feature young boys, lots of nudity, often in homosexual situations. Card understands boys a little too well.

I have something like six hundred scifi/fantasy books in my library, Card is the only one who's books scream "pedophile fantasy" to me.

You don't think that might be projecting your...nevermind.

I'm kidding, but to be honest most people (myself included) didn't pick up on the pedophilia.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Apparently you have issues.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Apparently you have issues.

Besides the Ender series, have you read many of his books? I suppose you think Micheal Jackson is just misunderstood. Men who are too fascinated with young boys are the ones who have issues. I'm talking about some of his books in which young boys are portrayed in man/boy sexual relationships, wrapped into a scifi setting.

It was the Ender series that caused me to give other Card books a try, I wish I hadnt.

Judge for yourself, Ender is a good read, but having read his other stuff, I see it differently.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:28:20 AM EDT
[#17]

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/L/Lo/Lost_Boys.htm

Lost Boys is a  (A extended fictional work in prose; usually in the form of a story) novel and  (A prose narrative shorter than a novel) short story by  (Click link for more info and facts about Orson Scott Card) Orson Scott Card set in the  (The decade from 1980 to 1989) 1980s.

Novel
The novel revolves around a former  (Click link for more info and facts about game programmer) game programmer and his family. Step Fletcher, a devout  (The ancient prophet whose writings were revealed to Joseph Smith who founded the Mormon Church) Mormon, moves his wife and three children (Stevie (8), Robbie (4) and Elizabeth (toddler)) cross-country from  (A state in the western United States; settled in 1847 by Mormons led by Brigham Young) Utah to  (A state in southeastern United States; one of the original 13 colonies) North Carolina so he can start a new job as a  (Click link for more info and facts about technical writer) technical writer. Fletcher must deal with several unpleasant situations. His boss is greedy and manipulative, Stevie's teacher hates the boy, and one of his co-workers is a  (An adult who is sexually attracted to children) pedophile. Meanwhile, his new house is periodically being invaded by hordes of insects, and his Stevie becomes withdrawn, playing only with his  (Click link for more info and facts about imaginary friend) imaginary friends. As Stevie's group of friends grows, his parents become increasingly concerned and eventually take him to a  (A scientist trained in psychology) psychologist, against their better judgment. Then they see a newspaper article about young boys who are disappearing. The names of Stevie's imaginary friends are the same as the missing children.

Major spoiler: At the end of the novel, Stevie figures out who has been kidnapping and killing the children and confronts the man. Because of this, Stevie is murdered and hidden in the crawlspace beneath the Fletchers' house -- with all of the other missing children. He manages to appear to his family and helps all of the others to do so as well. The other boys' parents are called, and each one says goodbye and disappears. The molester (not the same man that Step works with, incidentally) is arrested, and the bodies of the boys are removed from under the house. Stevie says goodbye to his family and vanishes as well.

Short storyLike many of Card's works, the novel is an expansion of the short story "Lost Boys" which can be found in his short story compilation Maps in a Mirror. In the short story version, Card assumes Fletcher's role as the protagonist. Some minor plot details are different as well in this story, such as the protagonist's occupation (an editor for a  (A game played against a computer) computer game magazine) and the story is told from a first-person perspective instead of the novel's third-person perspective. Though he refers to many real events (such as his writing of  (Click link for more info and facts about Ender's Game) Ender's Game), the short story is also completely fictional. Because of his use of himself and his real occupation, real locations and real people, Card had to append a special note stating that the story is fictitious.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#18]
A favorite author of mine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
One of my all-time favorite books!

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:19:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Good book.  That needs to be made into a Movie.

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:49:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Great book, the sequels kinda suck though.

Yep, it's a lot like the Dune series that way. Now, where did I put those asbestos underwear...

If you read Ender's Game and like it, Ender's Shadow (about Bean) is probably the nest best one.
-Hobbit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top