Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2008 6:18:38 AM EDT
Panic buying seems to be in full swing right now with a lot of retailers, distributors and manufacturers totally out of stock on AR-15 items. Uppers, lowers, complete rifles, looks like almost everyone has sold out and it's a 6-month wait. Forget about Christmas sales from RRA, Bushmaster, etc...for those few guys that have things, there's a lot of price-gouging going on. Go figure...the entire USA is hungry for retail biz in this recession and the gun guys are selling stuff off the shelf in complete panic mode. Some guy went into my local Wal-Marts yesterday and bought ALL of the 22-cal Fed value-pak ammo in stock. Cleaned the damn shelf out of 50 x 550-round boxes. There will be more of this as we get closer to Yo-Mama taking office. And Wal-Mart is getting cute too, raising ammo prices here and there.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 4:44:27 AM EDT
[#1]
A good topic for general discussion forum
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Let's all meet back here in a year and discuss what happened.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:48:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No.  Let's discuss it now.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:04:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
looks like almost everyone has sold out and it's a 6-month wait. Forget about Christmas sales from RRA, Bushmaster, etc...for those few guys that have things, there's a lot of price-gouging going on.

I ordered an A3 Patrolman AR-15 from knesekguns.com the 5th Nov and got word yesterday it was ready to ship. They had initially told me it would be 4 to 6 weeks.  So 16 days isn't  bad and certainly not 6 months.  Also didn't  see any changes in pricing with them.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I order a couple dozen PMags from AIM the day before the election and some of their CMMG & Magpul CTR stock combos the day after...not sure which but one of the orders shipped yesterday.  I may regret saying this but this seem to be slowing down a little on the panic front.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
people should have woken up 4 or 5 months ago,they wouldnt be rushing out at the last minute like they are now.theres plenty of ar's on the shelfs by me,& a lot of the remington ar's as well.i dont know about anyone else,but im keeping my ar15 for the rest of my life,ive had it since 1987,im not letting it go now.dont give me rights & take them away,it doesnt work that way for me.hopefully you wont even begin to see any legislation in the works for another year,theres a lot more serious problems with this country right now.i couldnt imagine the complete end & disappearance of the ar15 in the sporting world;just keep cranking them out as fast as possible,the more there is  the better !
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Stag Arms told me 10-12 weeks on stripped lowers.  Hope to get my order before the peckerhead takes office.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:24:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Geez, he hasn't even taken office yet and will have huge economics problems to deal with when he gets there.  I don't see anything actually happening for at least a year.
After that, bend over and grab your ankles.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#9]
What the fuck is "price gouging"?

Is this not a free market, where the supply of goods and the demand of goods set the price?
If everyone had raised their prices, there would not be a 6 month wait to buy an AR15 right now?

You either support a free market and oppose everything Obama stands for, or you don't.
You can't hate it when it applies to guns, but it's ok when it is gasoline or gold, etc...
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, Okay. I'm debating this morning whether or not to go to the gun show. There's nothing I need that isn't already on its way to me (PK, Brownells, Bravo Co., 44Mag and Fulton Armory all shipped my last week or so orders within a day), but I am a little curious about the prices and crowd I might see. Perhaps I could sell the SKS that's been taking up safe space.

Maybe the OP anticipates the massive run on firearms inventory might result in a depletion thereof that might never (for the foreseeable future) be replaced. It is a little surprising to see this huge run in retail business just a few weeks after we've all been told that the world just ran out of money.

And of course there's the unique historical aspect. I can think of no other presidential election whose outcome resulted in an immediate rush of the citizenry to arm themselves.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's some firsthand stuff that I've seen over the past few days:

CMMG- ran out of S/S barrels, 4-to-6 month wait for my Middy 18" upper, if and when the barrels come in soon

AIM- ran out of CMMG uppers and all stripped lowers

Rock River- 3-to-4 month wait for uppers and lowers and won't even answer the phone or respond to emails

I really don't want another Bushmaster upper due to the 1/9 twist thing, but may have to get one anyway, that is if they still have any. And they have recently raised the prices on these too, as well as their lowers.

Can't believe what DPMS is getting for their stuff either. Looks like all of the guys who still have lowers have ALL raised the prices dramatically.

This is real and not make-believe. Trying to get one more AR to add to the collection before Yo-Mama takes over, but things are not looking good.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, Okay. I'm debating this morning whether or not to go to the gun show. There's nothing I need that isn't already on its way to me (PK, Brownells, Bravo Co., 44Mag and Fulton Armory all shipped my last week or so orders within a day), but I am a little curious about the prices and crowd I might see. Perhaps I could sell the SKS that's been taking up safe space.

Maybe the OP anticipates the massive run on firearms inventory might result in a depletion thereof that might never (for the foreseeable future) be replaced. It is a little surprising to see this huge run in retail business just a few weeks after we've all been told that the world just ran out of money.

And of course there's the unique historical aspect. I can think of no other presidential election whose outcome resulted in an immediate rush of the citizenry to arm themselves.

I'm tempted to hit up a show and see if I can gouge someone out of $500 for a yugo SKS.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#13]
It's interesting that people aren't panic buying all the stock of handguns as well.

Democrats hate handguns as much or more than "assault weapons" ... I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to take their licks in early, with one gun control bill to take care of it all, ban all semiautos handgun and rifle, tax ammo, set up onerous registration and tax schemes, etc. Then they have 2 years for their media pals to brainwash the masses into forgetting about the ban before 2010 elections.

I plan on picking up a couple more pistols before inauguration day. Still need a nice holdout ccw and a snubby revolver. I'd also like a TC  with a .223 barrel.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Panic buying seems to be in full swing right now with a lot of retailers, distributors and manufacturers totally out of stock on AR-15 items. Uppers, lowers, complete rifles, looks like almost everyone has sold out and it's a 6-month wait. Forget about Christmas sales from RRA, Bushmaster, etc...for those few guys that have things, there's a lot of price-gouging going on. Go figure...the entire USA is hungry for retail biz in this recession and the gun guys are selling stuff off the shelf in complete panic mode. Some guy went into my local Wal-Marts yesterday and bought ALL of the 22-cal Fed value-pak ammo in stock. Cleaned the damn shelf out of 50 x 550-round boxes. There will be more of this as we get closer to Yo-Mama taking office. And Wal-Mart is getting cute too, raising ammo prices here and there.

Local retailer I always go through kept their AR and ammo prices the same they always were... got my GSG5 cheaper than most places are selling them (490).

You have the controls... do as you wish.  If you feel someone is reacting unfairly (IE: Wal Marts (sic)) then quit buying from them...
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:10:26 AM EDT
[#16]
My panic buy stuff is starting to show up.

I ordered most of mine November 1-3 and its trickling in.  I am waiting for one package from Denny and a barrel from Bushmaster.

Just ordered another barrel from CMMG last night.

To their credit, none of the places I have bought from (CMMG, Brownells, PKFirearms, or Denny) have raised their prices to horsehit levels, most not at all.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To their credit, none of the places I have bought from ... have raised their prices to horsehit levels, most not at all.

Geez, remember when horseshit was cheap? Not anymore ($700 Billion)!

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Geez, he hasn't even taken office yet and will have huge economics problems to deal with when he gets there.  I don't see anything actually happening for at least a year.
After that, bend over and grab your ankles.

Why does it have to be Obama "dealing with it"? For him it's a two second job signing the papers

He'll have a buttload of staffers, to do the "work", a majority of Dems in congress to ratify it while he is "Dealing with the huge economic problems"

He has already made that statement that he would like to move on gun issues in the first 90 days he's in office.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's interesting that people aren't panic buying all the stock of handguns as well.

Democrats hate handguns as much or more than "assault weapons" ... I wouldn't be surprised to see them try to take their licks in early, with one gun control bill to take care of it all, ban all semiautos handgun and rifle, tax ammo, set up onerous registration and tax schemes, etc. Then they have 2 years for their media pals to brainwash the masses into forgetting about the ban before 2010 elections.

I plan on picking up a couple more pistols before inauguration day. Still need a nice holdout ccw and a snubby revolver. I'd also like a TC  with a .223 barrel.

It might depend on what you want to buy.
Most of the places (online) that I buy handguns from are out of stock and they don't know when they will get more.
I live in NY and in the past two weeks the guns stores I went in to have had PLENTY of people in them, but not a lot of stock. However, Gander Mountain seems to have some stock but their prices are higher than average.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Yo-Mama will probably have one of his honchos like Pelosi, Feinstein, McCarthy, Schumer, etc run interference on a quick and dirty AWB/tax/no-import thing and that will happen while you are sleeping one nite at 3am in late January. It's the same thing that misguided Gov Pataki did back around 2002 when he did the New Yorkistan AWB at 3am when no one was around. All it takes is the will and a way and the Dems have both, with enoiugh layers of little people who are willing to put their names on it to keep the kaka from flying at Mr. Prez. It's not "if" it will happen, it's a matter of "when" it will happen and the Dems feel that the American people have given them a vote of confidence for quick and rapid change.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh Teh Noes threads; the latest form of trolling here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yo-Mama will probably have one of his honchos like Pelosi, Feinstein, McCarthy, Schumer, etc run interference on a quick and dirty AWB/tax/no-import thing and that will happen while you are sleeping one nite at 3am in late January. It's the same thing that misguided Gov Pataki did back around 2002 when he did the New Yorkistan AWB at 3am when no one was around. All it takes is the will and a way and the Dems have both, with enoiugh layers of little people who are willing to put their names on it to keep the kaka from flying at Mr. Prez. It's not "if" it will happen, it's a matter of "when" it will happen and the Dems feel that the American people have given them a vote of confidence for quick and rapid change.

Someone gets it.

If the Dem gungrabbers have learned one thing, it's how to sneak these laws in with other bills that seem harmless. And we now have at least 5 RINOs that say they will vote for a ban. How many more will Vote "present"?

A lot of the old guard republicans like Trent Lott have retired or been voted out, an AWB reauthorization will slide through congress Lickity Split and our Kenyan messiah will sign it the second it hits the Resolute desk.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#23]
i found out the hard way when pataki pulled that stunt,when in late march or early april of "05 i called sportsmans guide to order some mags & they said they cant ship to new york. i called 2 other places, they said the same. called a gun store & they told me the bad news,of the fed law being adopted.i just hope this doesnt happen again,we can only hope that this whole thing takes a backburner for a while.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top