Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/4/2012 10:52:46 PM EDT
Long story short place is hiring for manager position. I emailed a resume and cover letter las night and next morning I get a call asking to come in following day for interview. Cool so the end of the day the evening before the interview I get the norovirus. Great so I'm up all night

If I called you an hour before the interview the next day and apologizEd and ask if it's ok to have it the first day of next week would that damage your view of me?

Sorry bout the spelling and grammar I'm on an iPod and feel like shit

Update on 2
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I'd still interview you.

Everyone gets sick...esp in January.

If you cancelled a second interview it would be over.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:55:52 PM EDT
[#2]
A dedicated employee shows up to work everyday...Regardless.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Long story short place is hiring for manager position. I emailed a resume and cover letter las night and next morning I get a call asking to come in following day for interview. Cool so the end of the day the evening before the interview I get the norovirus. Great so I'm up all night

If I called you an hour before the interview the next day and apologizEd and ask if it's ok to have it the first day of next week would that damage your view of me?

You don't ask to reschedule to X day. You explain the fact that you are sick, reaffirm that you are more than happy to make your scheduled interview, and ask that in light of your illness and out of consideration for others, would they be interested in postponing the interview by a day or two.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Tough spot, no good way in this.  Let him know the situation, and ask if they want you to come in still while ill.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:03:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't ask to reschedule to X day. You explain the fact that you are sick, reaffirm that you are more than happy to make your scheduled interview, and ask that in light of your illness and out of consideration for others, would they be interested in postponing the interview by a day or two.

I like this plan, but I'm not an employer.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I never call in sick for work. I show up sick and if it is bad enough they have me leave against my will. I like money.

An employer may not hold it against you but if there are other interviews to be had someone else may swoop in and take your job
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Call as soon as the interviewer is in.

Explain how and why you are sick. Go in if requested.

If you are just getting home from the bar I would...pound water and show up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I fucking hate it when people show up to get others sick. One time this happened the guy doing our benefits presentation got over half our office of 30 people sick. It was absolutely fucking terrible and one of the miserable times of my life.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Don't show up sick to an interview.  I'd be more pissed that you did not call and reschedule because you were sick.

And you die hard "I'll work no matter what" types, I'll send your ass home too so you don't infect the rest of the work force.  I honestly can't understand what motivates people to come in sick.  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't show up sick to an interview.  I'd be more pissed that you did not call and reschedule because you were sick.

And you die hard "I'll work no matter what" types, I'll send your ass home too so you don't infect the rest of the work force.  I honestly can't understand what motivates people to come in sick.  

I am motivated to come in sick....1. There is no such thing as sick days in my job..2.. I will not waste my very precious vacation days for sickness. I havent missed a day of work in yrs..I did have a boss ask me while I was waiting to punch in if I was going to stay even though it was obvious I was sick..I asked if he was sending me home, he said no just stay away from me..They dont care and will cut you no breaks. Why would you want to waste a good vacation day on a horrible sick day..
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you showed up anyway and proceeded to vomit infection all over me knowing full well you were sick...yeah, you ain't getting the job.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No, a stupid employee shows up everyday regardless and gets everyone else sick. I fucking hate viral martyrs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:20:39 AM EDT
[#15]

In January? Wouldn't bother me. In fact I would appreciate your consideration.

Of course, if I found someone I liked in the meantime........

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am motivated to come in sick....1. There is no such thing as sick days in my job..2.. I will not waste my very precious vacation days for sickness. I havent missed a day of work in yrs..I did have a boss ask me while I was waiting to punch in if I was going to stay even though it was obvious I was sick..I asked if he was sending me home, he said no just stay away from me..They dont care and will cut you no breaks. Why would you want to waste a good vacation day on a horrible sick day..

Why? Because it isn't about you it is about having some consideration for others who work in close proximity to you. But I guess that is why some people refer to the "ME Generation".

This is the correct action:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#17]
This actually happened to me for my 1st job in 80s.

Told 'em the truth - likely something bad from Denny's ??? - and they understood.  Told 'em it would
problably be at least a day and a half, at best, before ready.   They said to call back when I was in
a bit better shape to reschedule, and I got the job.

Just be honest, everyone understands sh*t happens.  And no interviewer, esp a working manager or
or prospective co workers, want to risk getting sick & have worlflow distorted.

Bill Wiese
San Jose CA
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:25:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Work Ethic
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#19]
If you came to my place of work with an infectious disease, you would not get hired.

I would call and explain the situation. If they want you they will reschedule.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Because it isn't about you it is about having some consideration for others who work in close proximity to you. But I guess that is why some people refer to the "ME Generation".

Quoted:

What is this ME generation you speak of???  Which part of no sick days do you not understand..Lets compare vacation times allowed for a moment..I get 10 days a year off, paid excused days off, and we work every holiday and all weekends.  If I want to see the boy play a baseball game on a saturday afternoon I must use one of those 10 days off.  Unlike most people who thinks everyone works monday thru friday and gets 2 weeks vacation or more with sick days and personal days thats not true.  You must be part of the pussification of america.. I am sick I cant go to work, my butt hurts everything must stop.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:49:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A dedicated employee won't get my entire staff sick and REALLY put production behind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

lol no.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

And infects everyone else. Great plan.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Its amazing that everyone agrees it is bad to show up sick but yet the corporate world has removed sick days and will write you up do an investigation and terminate you quickly for calling in sick..I really like to know what everyone here does for a living that is making these comments about not showing up to work sick.  I have a very good job and missing work is not tolerated at all. Miss more than 10 days a year and you will be investigated,put on notice and terminated.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And infects everyone else. Great plan.

I didnt create the plan I just play by the rules that have been created by people more inteligent than I...

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:12:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I have only gone home early from work once in my life for being sick,  and honestly,  I don't even know how I managed to put the hours in that I did that day.  That was about 7 years ago.

A few weeks ago,  I had a cold,  and let my lead at work know so that he could have me run machines that were not near other people.  A few other people were sick around the same time,  and none of us took the time off,  and no lost time was involved.  However,  having a cold is far different from having something like the flu.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:22:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

+1  I'm a practical sort, I'd just as soon you not come in sick as a dog trying to put on a brave face while potentially transmitting the illness around my workplace.

ETA:  If you have norovirus they really DON'T want you in their offices, for several days after symptoms subside.

ETA2: If they DO want you to come in with norovirus, do you really want to work for them?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
A dedicated employee shows up to work everyday...Regardless of who they might infect.....

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Not an employer, but I concur. It shows dedication, problem-solving, and understanding of long-term goals. I can say arriving sick with no advance notice would be a bad idea in the medical field, same effect as showing up without bathing.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#30]
I've had it happen, and I've never judged a candidate on that. That would be petty, and stupid.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:59:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Call and explain that you are sick, and what you have, I really doubt you are going to get the job if you don't tell them they can see you are sick, and you make the interview people sick.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hi :)

I have to hire people occasionally.

It does not look good if a prospective employee reschedules at the last minute, on their time line. Much better idea to give the prospective employer the info that they are sick, but still willing to come in as scheduled.

Think of it this way... I have 20 people in line for two to three openings... Telling me you are sick at the last minute and rescheduling yourself for the following week sounds flaky to me. I'll let you do that, but will probably fill all positions before you 'find the time' to come in for your interview. People that WANT jobs...well, they want them.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:14:32 AM EDT
[#33]
You are not a special snow flake, there are others in front of you and behind you, you reschedule chances are you'll never get that call to do so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Trying to be a tough guy and work sick is fine if you are in a position that does not put others at risk of getting sick as well.
Everyone gets sick sometimes. I would still see you if you sounded worth it .
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:23:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Its amazing that everyone agrees it is bad to show up sick but yet the corporate world has removed sick days and will write you up do an investigation and terminate you quickly for calling in sick..I really like to know what everyone here does for a living that is making these comments about not showing up to work sick.  I have a very good job and missing work is not tolerated at all. Miss more than 10 days a year and you will be investigated,put on notice and terminated.

WOW!!

I don't know where you work but I do know that type of emplyment went out of style after the Civil War. It sure sounds like dedication is a one way street where you work.

You need to look around a little because you don't have a job you have a sentence.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:24:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

... people more inteligent than I...

QFT!

ETA - I think that explains your lot in life.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Norovirus is highly contagious and I think continues to be until 72 hours after your symptoms are gone. Be honest nd let them make their own decision.
+1, tell them you won't be available until next week, when you are not contagious.
Quoted:

+1, especially in my office when everyone has paid sick leave and a Dr's note isn't required until you miss X days (3 for white collar, 10 for union/blue collar).

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:36:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best answer. It should be employer's choice if he wants to be around someone that is sick

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:40:20 AM EDT
[#39]
I use to work for a lawyer friend last year. I was sick as hell to my stomach but went in anyway. She instantly said get the fuck away from us and I got paid for a week to stay home
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:41:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This is my feeling on it.  People have rescheduled interviews with me in the past and it didn't bother me.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

that...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This.  Plus I would be pissed at someone who showed up sick to an interview and got me sick.  

Maybe the best way to handle is to explain the situation and tell the person you are very interested but do not want to risk getting them sick. That would go a long way in my book.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

And that gets you exactly squat.

OP if you are sick stay home and if they won't re-schedule a interview then move-on as they were dicks to begin with.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WOW!!

I don't know where you work but I do know that type of emplyment went out of style after the Civil War. It sure sounds like dedication is a one way street where you work.

You need to look around a little because you don't have a job you have a sentence.

lol +1. I get 15 "official" sick days a year, and we're encouraged to use them if we're sick. Though I work from home and never use mine.

Back in the office days if someone showed up sick we'd all tell him to go home, no one wants to catch that shit. I do have to add that it's bad juju to call in sick 15 different times.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Tell them the truth and that you'll come in if needed. Chances are they have a few other people interview and won't even think twice that someone rescheduled.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
lol +1. I get 15 "official" sick days a year, and we're encouraged to use them if we're sick. Though I work from home and never use mine.

Back in the office days if someone showed up sick we'd all tell him to go home, no one wants to catch that shit. I do have to add that it's bad juju to call in sick 15 different times.

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Tell them the truth and that you'll come in if needed. Chances are they have a few other people interview and won't even think twice that someone rescheduled.

hunter101's employers don't want people missing work because they might actually be out looking for another job. I can't imagine it is very easy to hire and keep people in that kind of work environment...unless they pay a six figure salary BEFORE overtime.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:00:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What is this ME generation you speak of???  Which part of no sick days do you not understand..Lets compare vacation times allowed for a moment..I get 10 days a year off, paid excused days off, and we work every holiday and all weekends.  If I want to see the boy play a baseball game on a saturday afternoon I must use one of those 10 days off.  Unlike most people who thinks everyone works monday thru friday and gets 2 weeks vacation or more with sick days and personal days thats not true.  You must be part of the pussification of america.. I am sick I cant go to work, my butt hurts everything must stop.

If you have a family, you need to find a new job.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:09:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Judging by how many employees I supervise right now that are sick, I would say no big deal. It happens.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No....the office martyr shows up regardless how sick and infects everybody else on the floor.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

And gets people sick. What an awesome employee!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#50]
As someone else said, not a problem the first time.
The second time is much different.  If it's a referral the probably ok, if not then they'd have to be a rock star or we'd have to be desperate.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top