Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 2/24/2016 2:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 3:11:30 PM EDT by JA_Magnum]
Just wondering if any of you work for companies that require some sort of basic competency testing as part of the hiring process? My last company had a "survey" that they thought was fantastic. But it was designed to weed out violence, drug use, theft etc. It was really kind of dumb. I worked a short stint for Halliburton 2 years ago and they made me take a math test during my interview.

Our company tends to hire unskilled employees that have a high school diploma or equivalent and can pass a background check. I'd like to start using some sort of test that shows at least a basic level of reading comprehension, ability to write, etc.

Are there any online resources that anyone knows of for that type of thing? Or has anyone on here actually designed something similar and could give me some pointers?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:53:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JA_Magnum:
Just wondering if any of you work for companies that require some sort of basic competency testing as part of the hiring process? My last company had a "survey" that they thought was fantastic. But it was designed to weed out violence, drug use, theft etc. It was really kind of dumb. I worked a short stint for Halliburton 2 years ago and they made me take a math test during my interview.

Our company tends to hire unskilled employees that have a high school diploma or equivalent and can pass a background check. I'd like to start using some sort of test that shows at least a basic level of reading comprehension, ability to write, etc.

Are there any online resources that anyone knows of for that type of thing? Or has anyone on here actually designed something similar and could give me some pointers?

Thanks.
View Quote

Quit hating on the military  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:53:55 PM EDT
The job I have now was the only one that had a series of technical questions in the interview.  I got the job because I was the only one who could answer them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:54:54 PM EDT
yup...and retesting every three years
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:57:32 PM EDT
A long time ago I applied at family video for a part time job. They had a math test as part of the application process. No calculators and some of the problems were like this 4692.4987 x 5347.9651 = ?

Seeing the looks on other applicants faces when they got to that page was pretty telling. I think the problems were just there to see if you would attempt them, or even come close to the correct answer. If I remember correctly there were about a dozen of theses problems that were either multiplication or division.

A simple math test would be pretty easy to come up with.

Read/write? I would have them fill out some type of form during the interview. Most people that walk in the door here we have fill out an application by hand. I have honestly had applicants that couldn't spell their own name correctly.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:02:09 PM EDT

Thanks.
View Quote
Hint number 1:

"Competency"
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:04:21 PM EDT
How about just a spelling test OP?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:05:58 PM EDT
Excel skills show offs have been part of my last 2 analyst interviews
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:08:57 PM EDT
My company started doing test this past year for new hires. From what I hear it has some math questions. It takes months to hire people now. What I don't understand is why they just don't use their phone nobody supervises the test.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:09:45 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By stewie97:
A long time ago I applied at family video for a part time job. They had a math test as part of the application process. No calculators and some of the problems were like this 4692.4987 x 5347.9651 = ?

Seeing the looks on other applicants faces when they got to that page was pretty telling. I think the problems were just there to see if you would attempt them, or even come close to the correct answer. If I remember correctly there were about a dozen of theses problems that were either multiplication or division.

Read/write? I would have them fill out some type of form during the interview. Most people that walk in the door here we have fill out an application by hand. I have honestly had applicants that couldn't spell their own name correctly.
View Quote

Haha. I actually have kind of an informal test. I email the application in a Word document. If they can complete it and email it back, they tend to be a bit higher caliber. I get emails back with the application in some weird format or they take a picture and send it in. I'm pretty flexible about the whole thing. They can even bring it in to the office handwritten. But the ability to open a Word document, complete it and email it back is pretty rare.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:11:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wiz-of-Awd:

A.W.D.
View Quote

Lol. I fixed it. Jerk.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:14:14 PM EDT
Every interview I've had (or conducted) in the last 10 years has involved time at the whiteboard solving problems. But in the software field it's pretty easy to tell is someone is competent or full of shit in just a few minutes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:15:04 PM EDT
If our company required a competency exam, they'd lose 50% of the employees.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:17:48 PM EDT
we build airplanes, so yes. book and hands on knowledge must be demonstrated.

I'm always watching and judging you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:22:26 PM EDT

Lol. I fixed it. Jerk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wiz-of-Awd:

A.W.D.

Lol. I fixed it. Jerk.

Thank you!
Best to be a jerk that what I (apparently) am the rest of the time :)

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:28:09 PM EDT
we use the Wonderlic cognitive ability test
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:31:30 PM EDT
Steal the ASVAB.  Also plagiarize ASVAB preparatory materials found on-line.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:33:56 PM EDT
My wife's employer does. She's a writer. You have to take a writing test at the interview. You need a BA in English just to get in the door at all.

She said it's because they can't trust just the BA anymore.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:38:00 PM EDT
Yep - current job I'm in.  I had to take a MS Excel test as part of the process.  Easy peasy.  The job I was applying for was/still is about 75% spreadsheet work, and most of the calls/meetings I have revolve around the spreadsheet work I do.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:38:06 PM EDT
We test at all levels. Entry, Jr. and Sr. level engineering positions.  After your in the door the testing stops unless you move into another skill / job
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:43:21 PM EDT

Haha. I actually have kind of an informal test. I email the application in a Word document. If they can complete it and email it back, they tend to be a bit higher caliber. I get emails back with the application in some weird format or they take a picture and send it in. I'm pretty flexible about the whole thing. They can even bring it in to the office handwritten. But the ability to open a Word document, complete it and email it back is pretty rare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stewie97:

That's pretty good, but I wouldn't hate on anyone using an odd-ball word processor.

I ask for a resume and cover letter and disregard anyone that cannot send both.  I try to make the ad posting somewhat memorable, so the best cover letters address points I've raised.  

Doing this really limits the people I have to call and interview.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:43:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kaizer27:
we use the Wonderlic cognitive ability test
View Quote

Checking into this now. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:54:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

My wife's employer does. She's a writer. You have to take a writing test at the interview. You need a BA in English just to get in the door at all.

She said it's because they can't trust just the BA anymore.
View Quote
Writing test required at my place too. A lot of very smart candidates with advanced degrees don't get past the writing test.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:10:43 PM EDT
Before I medically retired, I was a Senior Director over the software engineering group at my company.  I had been there for 10 years, originally hired in as a manager, over 7 people.  When I left, I had a little more than 400 people working for me (developers, quality assurance, business analysts, architects, IT engineers supporting our environments, TFS technicians, etc.).  One of the very first thing I did was institute a competency test as part of the interview process.  The process was very successful, and the non-technical specific parts were adopted by other departments.

Those familiar with the hiring process know that there are limitations to what type of questions that can be asked during an interview process (for legal reasons).  Hence, when testing for general non-technical competency it can be tricky.  Technically speaking, one should not ask any question that isn't directly related to the documented job description and duties that the candidate is applying for.  Many companies get in trouble with the "small talk", whereas people are just shooting the shit while waiting for another person to join, or if they feel they don't have any more real questions to ask.  I have seen a handful of legal settlements, due to "discrimination" cases from non-pertinent questions.

What I did was specifically tie a line item on the job description to a critical thinking section of the aptitude test given.  When the candidate would leave the interview, I would always hand them a packet of general information about the company, benefits, etc.  In that packet, was a job description summary page.  On that page, it specified elements like "... must be able to demonstrate ... decisive decision making, ... solving complex problems ... critical thinking ... " etc.  Then, on the tests that the candidates would take there would be a whole section devoted to demonstrate if they can perform:
- common sense thinking (i.e. prioritization and escalation)
- critical thinking
- brain teasers
- following directions
- time management
- and questions where I know the candidate DID NOT KNOW the answer; I specifically wanted the candidate to tell me "I DONT KNOW" during the interview process.  Many times, this would occur in the verbal part of the process.

Giving candidates an evaluation test does extend the interview process,  The key is to give it to those candidates after you have already spoken to them.  This way, you can give the candidates to whom you felt did well the test, and those who didn't do well can just leave.  I honestly feel that this process yielded a great workforce within my department.

Good luck!
Mike
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:16:23 PM EDT
Yes. Mine had problem solving, proofreading, typing and a survey.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:19:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BURN:
yup...and retesting every three years
View Quote

Same here...
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:26:44 PM EDT
The first company I worked for out of college had a competency test. I really didn't know what was going on at the time, but I was finishing my last semester in college and had just interviewed for a job when they asked me to show up the next day to take the test. I was like "ok". I showed up with 25 other people and took this ridiculously simple test. Honestly, I was kind of pissed that I had to get dressed up, show up for another appointment and sit for an hour to take the thing.

I got hired and then somewhere in the hiring process, they told me that only 20% of applicants pass the test. I was like "you've got to be kidding me."

Then when I showed up for the technical training class, there were a couple of guys there who I couldn't figure out how they passed the test.

Everything about that company had some sort of mickey mouse computer based training bullshit. I should have realized when they wanted to take that "test" that it was a sign of how everything else was going to be run and turned down that job. I hated it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:27:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 6:27:37 PM EDT by Agent_Funky]
Every three years
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:28:43 PM EDT
Depends what the job is and what's required.  Often it's basic math and reading a tape measure/caliper or something.

Interviewed once at a company as a design engineer that required a test.  The test was Phd level thermodynamics/fluid transfer type problems.  For all I know they could have even been impossible to solve.  Essentially complex heat transfer type problems as this company made furnaces, AC, air moving equipment.  I gave it my best and as I was leaving that interview I called my headhunter and told him fuck that place.  I don't care if they offer me a job, I don't want to work there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:30:25 PM EDT

View Quote

I do the same, except I specify they return it in .pdf format to see if they can and if they read directions.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:30:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 6:32:06 PM EDT by itchytrigger]
Top Top