Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:08:00 AM EDT
I worked for six years in an upscale Department store.  There are three days I am most embarrassed by the male gender.  Feb13-14, and Dec 24.  I would see these men come into the store who had obviously waited to the very last minute to buy something for their Significant Other.

They come into the store with a look of almost psychotic desperation in their eyes and run through the store, department by department.  I always wanted to slap  these guys up and tell them, " Dude !  You're a man.  You screwed up.  Admit to your S/O that you forgot, procrastinated, whatever the case maybe.  Take your lumps.  Vow to her and to yourself that you won't repeat this fiasco.  Calendars...They're more than just a platform for photos of silicone enhanced swimsuit models.  Some of the dates on the calendar actually mean something."

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who still works at the store.  She confirmed that Desperation Days are in full swing !

I fully expect to get flamed by the men who stop in here.

Happy Valentines Day to all
Medicguy
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
We, as men, hate holidays and having to buy bullshit gifts that we don't really want to buy.

I don't want to "take my lumps" or "remember better next time."

It's great you like to do foo-foo stuff, but not all of us do.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Sooooooo...Wacha get your boyfriend there  big boy

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We, as men, hate holidays and having to buy bullshit gifts that we don't really want to buy.

I don't want to "take my lumps" or "remember better next time."

It's great you like to do foo-foo stuff, but not all of us do.

Hey, noone's holding a gun to your head, right?  It's just a silly day when you might want to show someone you care.  That's all.  And I'm sure you let that person know every day anyway, and you don't need a holiday to do that.  

Or are you just bitter?

either way, Happy Valentine's Day.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I worked for six years in an upscale Department store.  There are three days I am most embarrassed by the male gender.  Feb13-14, and Dec 24.  I would see these men come into the store who had obviously waited to the very last minute to buy something for their Significant Other.

They come into the store with a look of almost psychotic desperation in their eyes and run through the store, department by department.  I always wanted to slap  these guys up and tell them, " Dude !  You're a man.  You screwed up.  Admit to your S/O that you forgot, procrastinated, whatever the case maybe.  Take your lumps.  Vow to her and to yourself that you won't repeat this fiasco.  Calendars...They're more than just a platform for photos of silicone enhanced swimsuit models.  Some of the dates on the calendar actually mean something."

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who still works at the store.  She confirmed that Desperation Days are in full swing !

Medicguy

I find it amusing that most of the women *I* know put more thought and energy into Valentine's Day than their s/o's do, even though it seems like most of the men on this board think it's a day aimed at emptying THEIR pockets.   But then I'm a sap when it comes to my boyfriend, AND holidays.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, as previously confessed, I got Mr. Playmore a TV for the rec room in our basement.
It won't be delivered until next Tuesday.
Sooooo, TODAY...
I went shopping and got his card and cards for my boys and M&M candies hearts for all of them.
I also picked up a cake mix and me and the youngest made confetti cupcakes with heart candy sprinkles on them. Hubby just just phoned to say he'd be late. He asked "what's for dinner?"
I said, "I dunno. Cupkakes with VALENTINES' sprinkles are dessert. DINNER is whatever you feel like picking up on the way home." <HUGE grin>

Mr. Playmore <small voice>, "Shit."

Good thing he amuses me....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, as previously confessed, I got Mr. Playmore a TV for the rec room in our basement.
Sooooo, TODAY...
I went shopping and got his card and cards for my boys and M&M candies hearts for all of them.
I also picked up a cake mix and me and the youngest made confetti cupcakes with heart candy sprinkles on them. Hubby just just phoned to say he'd be late. He asked "what's for dinner?"
I said, "I dunno. Cupkakes with VALENTINES' sprinkles are dessert. DINNER is whatever you feel like picking up on the way home." <HUGE grin>

<singing>  KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN>>>WEEEE DO CHICKEN RIGHT! <singing>
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sooooo, TODAY...

<singing>  KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN>>>WEEEE DO CHICKEN RIGHT! <singing>

Nope...Chinese...and if one of you puts up that fortune cookie photochop I'll.......

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
its only as big a deal as you and your s/o make/let it be

as i said in the other thread, i got something for hubby last night (so much for men bing the only ones who shop late)--he is apparantly making dinner, though i have no idea whether that is related to VD--he makes dinner for me some nights when i work late--maybe it will be a big ol romantic thing, maybe it won't--i dont care--i just know i dont have to cook  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I dislike the holiday...

I'd rather show them I care/love them over the course of a  year, not just one day. Its too much pressure... espically on men.

ITs just a capitalistic scam that I choose not to take part in.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I agree that it is a scam.  Where's the holiday that makes women buy expensive stuff they don't want to or there's hell to pay?

And why the hell a man has to get his GF/Wife something for Mother's Day I'll never understand.  You're not my mother.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that it is a scam.  Where's the holiday that makes women buy expensive stuff they don't want to or there's hell to pay?

And why the hell a man has to get his GF/Wife something for Mother's Day I'll never understand.  You're not my mother.  

It looks like you participate regardless of your views.  

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=436785

What a man won't do to stay out of the hot water!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Sad, but true.  Although, I'm amazed at the number of men who actually don't wait until the last minute.

Well, I waited till the last minute this year, and I spent the day taking care of my sick wife yesterday, culminating in a run to the ER in the evening.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Hubby and I had the most unusual and unique Valentine's present yet. We both took our CCW class last week, and went to the sheriff's station together today to file our paperwork. I'm totally diggin it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Point refuted.  Get off your bitterness horse.  I did more for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day than he did for me.  And you know what?  It doesn't matter.  I did for him because I wanted to.  Because I appreciate him.  Because I love him.  I made dinner, got him an awesome gift, made his favorite dessert, slaved in the kitchen and the grocery store for hours, poured over recipes for days.  He got me a card, and is taking me to dinner this weekend.  He got me an awesome card that had a really nice sentiment in it.  Valentine's Day is what you make of it.

So shut up about it all being the MAn's job to pony up on Valentine's Day.   I'm sick of hearing you guys whine.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Medicguy

I find it amusing that most of the women *I* know put more thought and energy into Valentine's Day than their s/o's do, even though it seems like most of the men on this board think it's a day aimed at emptying THEIR pockets.   But then I'm a sap when it comes to my boyfriend, AND holidays.

I can't afford to go out and buy my valentine anything.  But that doesnt mean I can't do anything special for him.  so out of consideration and the undying love, i made him dinner, I rubbed his shoulders and back, and gave him a bite-size snickers for desert.  It's the most i could afford, but it was with all the love in the world.   That is what makes the difference.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Medicguy

or they can get you nothing at all.  Not even a valentines day Hug and Kiss.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Point refuted.  (snippage)

I trust that was NOT just because it was Valentine's/Singles Awareness day.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:44:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What, his attitude?   For the most part, i find that you get out of something what you put into it.  Not all the time, I realize that, but for the most part.

It makes me wonder why men continue to seek out women who are selfish, self centered, demanding, spoiled, shallow, and non appreciative.  Because they're good looking?  Maybe if the men who complained that their women have the afore mentioned traits looked farther than a nice rack and a size 2 body, then they'd find more quality women, instead of a woman who has "quantity" in the looks department.

And that's not to say that you can't find a good woman who is good looking, too.  But if you're going on looks alone, prepare to be disappointed.

I find it hard to believe that so many men have women that did absolutely nothing for them on Valentine's Day, while the men went all out.  Seems to be the other way around for me.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What, his attitude?   For the most part, i find that you get out of something what you put into it.  Not all the time, I realize that, but for the most part.

It makes me wonder why men continue to seek out women who are selfish, self centered, demanding, spoiled, shallow, and non appreciative.  Because they're good looking?  Maybe if the men who complained that their women have the afore mentioned traits looked farther than a nice rack and a size 2 body, then they'd find more quality women, instead of a woman who has "quantity" in the looks department.

And that's not to say that you can't find a good woman who is good looking, too.  But if you're going on looks alone, prepare to be disappointed.

I find it hard to believe that so many men have women that did absolutely nothing for them on Valentine's Day, while the men went all out.  Seems to be the other way around for me.

You are definately an exception then.
Statistics show that men spend on average 60% more on the rediculous holiday than women do.
Pretty safe to say then that in general, men are spending and women aren't. Any wonder then, why there are so many men who hate the holiday?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#23]
It's just an opportunity to show someone how lucky and blessed you feel to have him or her around.  If you want to do it differently, say with sweet nothings on a daily basis, an occassional dinner, doing the dishes, watching the kids so the wife/husband can go shooting or shopping, etc., more power to you.  But, it can actually be fun to make time for your partner.  

Personally, got the Mr. a little token.  Got lots of joy from giving it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

What, his attitude?  

No, your actions.

You're in the minority here, sorry (at least IRL, though maybe not on the internet).  That's just my experience but nonethless, I've yet to have met a woman who had any interest in Valentine's day beyond getting something.  Not one.  And I don't go for gold-diggers, money grubbers, or greedy bitches.  

I overheard a most telling convo the other day at work which went something like this:

Woman 1: "I bet the hub is going to forget to get me anything.  I'll be so pissed."
Woman 2: "Yeah, my b/f is against valentine's day and all, but if I don't get something that will suck."

If you don't want men to be so ticked off  by VD/SAD, then start a woman's movement to get rid of it.  I'm sure 98% of men with functioning brains would support it, even if they are to scared to say so for fear of female retribution.  Besides,  the single women out there just LOVE Valentine's day, right?  

As for Medicguy, there are some dates on the calendar that mean something.  February 14th means good revenue for Hallmark.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I think that the meaning of Valentine's day has been lost.  It's not a day for women to EXPECT gifts, etc from their guys.  It's a day for couples to show their affection for each other.  You know what I got my wife for Valentine's day?  I brought home take out dinner.  We watched a movie together and talked some.  That made her happy, and me too.  She wouldn't have been any happier if I had showered her with gifts, maybe for that day, but after that they wouldn't mean anything.  She's smart enough to know that.  Valentine's day is not about what you give your significant other (other than your love).  

Personally, if a woman got mad at me because I didn't give them anything except myself for Valentine's day, then the question in my mind would be:  So I'm not enough for you anymore?  That's really what she's saying if she get's pissed at you for not spending your life's savings on a day when all you really should do is show your significant other how much you love them.  $ does not equal love.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I personally DO NOT like greeting card holidays.......Anyone ever hear of "Sweetest Day"?....Most likely, NO, because it's a "holiday" only here in Ohio, created by American Greetings, who just happens to be headquartered here. The whole gift giving aspect of holidays is reserved for Christmas and birthdays in my house.....we do enough for each other EVERY day of the year otherwise. The Mrs and myself always get the kids cards and a little candy, they enjoy that kind of stuff......as for her and I....our gift giving begins when the kids go to bed.............
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:47:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You are definately an exception then.
Statistics show that men spend on average 60% more on the rediculous holiday than women do.
Pretty safe to say then that in general, men are spending and women aren't. Any wonder then, why there are so many men who hate the holiday?

<goes over to stand with Daisy in that exception area>

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#28]
It's impossible for me to forget Valentine's Day --- it's my birthday.  

It's actually kind of frustrating, since I try to make V-Day all about my wife (flowers, cooking dinner, dipping strawberries in chocolate and drawing her bubble bath while I put all four kids to bed...), and here she is trying to make it all about my birthday.

Of course, after the kids are asleep, we get to make it all about both...

V-Day, as most holidays, is overly commercialized.  I have a feeling that most women would be more than thrilled if their husband/bf/etc. just focused their attention on them that day by cooking them dinner, doing things around the house that makes her life easier (esp. if there are kids in the mix), carrying on a nice conversation and listening, telling them how they feel, writing romantic poetry (doesn't cost a dime!), etc., instead of spending tons of money on them.  Now that would really be showing her how much you love her.  Of course the best bet is to keep doing those things throughout the year...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey, I agree that the 14 is a made up day and that the hallmarks of the world need it to off set the spring and summer months, but my hang up is why do women get engagement rings and men dont get engagement guns?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hey, I agree that the 14 is a made up day and that the hallmarks of the world need it to off set the spring and summer months, but my hang up is why do women get engagement rings and men dont get engagement guns?

Well, my wife gave me a katana when we got engaged...  that's close enough.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

How fitting! If you're a Highlander fan, then you know that "There can be only ONE!"

PERFECT gift!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How fitting! If you're a Highlander fan, then you know that "There can be only ONE!"

PERFECT gift!

Yes, it was the perfect gift.  At the time, we were more into swords and knives than guns (medieval re-enactment more accurately), and the katana was given to me because I was to be the protector of the home and that is what I was going to use to defend the home if someone broke in.  I have actually had some training with it from a friend who is... well versed, shall we say, in many weapon forms.  It isn't a wall-hanger decoration.  It's live steel, baby!

Once we started having kids, I realized that the katana just wouldn't kut it.  I bought our first gun since I worked some nights and we were preparing to move to a not-so-nice part of Omaha.  Little did I know that what I saw as just a necessary tool would end up being so much fun!  

She's not as into it as I am, so I have to stick to flowers and chocolate-dipped strawberries and bubble baths for V-day instead of "9mm or .45, dear?"  Ah well.  Better for our bank account that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top