Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/4/2002 3:57:19 PM EDT
I just recieved this email from Senator Craig Thomas concerning S. 890 Good morning Scott . . . and thank you for contacting me regarding attempts to regulate firearms sales at gun shows. I certainly understand your concerns. As you know, Senators John McCain (R-AZ) and Joseph Lieberman (D- CT) recently introduced S. 890, the "Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2001." Among other things, this legislation requires gun show organizers to obtain a license from the Secretary of the Treasury before holding a gun show. As the law sits right now, federally licensed firearms dealers must conduct background checks at gun shows. Those people, often hobbyists and collectors, who only make occasional sales or exchanges are not currently required to obtain a federal firearms license or conduct the checks. However, S. 890 would create numerous new federal regulations for these individuals. You will be glad to know that I oppose mandatory checks for two reasons. First, the mandates in S. 890 represent an unprecedented regulation of the private, secondhand market. The federal government has never regulated individual-to-individual sales. Secondly, this bill would be ineffective because it would do nothing about private sales that occur through other means such as classified ads and neighbor-to-neighbor. The only way to truly restrict individual-to-individual sales is to create a national registry for gun owners. I do not support that idea. Rest assured, I will strongly object to this bill should it make its way to the Senate floor. Thanks again for taking the time to contact me. Best Regards, Craig Thomas United States Senator
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:52:13 AM EDT
what state is he from? Doesn't seem to make enough noise to make his name remembered. Kinda like the chump Rep Fitzgerald in IL.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:04:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Grin_N_Barrett: what state is he from? Doesn't seem to make enough noise to make his name remembered. Kinda like the chump Rep Fitzgerald in IL.
View Quote
WYOMING! Our other senetor is Barbara Cubin, she is on the NRA board. At least they are both pro-gun!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:08:31 AM EDT
If I remember correctly .... Senator Craig Thomas replaced the then departing Senator Dick Cheney when Mr. Dick Cheney (who is now Vice President Dick Cheney) became Secretary of Defense for President George Herbert Walker Bush... Ted...
Top Top