Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 7:49:49 AM EDT

Elite cops from NYPD's Emergency Service Unit fire three stray rounds in three months

BY Bob Kappstatter, Rocco Parascandola and Alison Gendar

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Tuesday, February 1st 2011, 4:00 AM

In an embarrassing series of mistakes, cops from the NYPD's elite Emergency Service Unit shot off three stray rounds in three months - including one in Rockefeller Center.

A member of the ESU sniper team safeguarding the tree-lighting center at the tourist magnet accidentally let loose a rifle round on Nov. 30.

It happened about 90 minutes after the ceremony, as the sniper teams were pulling out. The round hit a building and was found a block and a half away.

Four days earlier, an ESU detective getting out of his vehicle to respond to a report of a barricaded gunman accidentally fired a shotgun in Harlem.

The blast went through an apartment window on W. 136th St. As in the Rockefeller Center incident, no one was injured.

In the latest incident, a 76-year-old man was shot in the stomach during a Jan. 22 drug raid in the Bronx.

ESU cops were trying to arrest Alberto Colon, 41, when a detective trying to activate the flashlight on his weapon accidentally fired it, hitting the suspect's father.

The NYPD has reviewed all the firings and found that none of the weapons malfunctioned, said Chief Charles Kammerdener, head of the Special Operations Division.

The ESU discharges represent a small percentage of accidental firings in the NYPD.

There were 23 department-wide in 2009, only one of which involved a member of ESU. Last year there were 23 accidental discharges, including the two ESU incidents in November.

ESU officers, who pride themselves on their ability to pull off difficult raids and rescues, say the three incidents were the result of a cut in weapons training - specifically a week-long shooting exercise at Camp Smith or Fort Dix.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:00:22 AM EDT
so the elite are elite or no..............
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:01:04 AM EDT
I haven't fired even one stray in my whole life.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:01:04 AM EDT
Somehow I doubt that a week of shooting anywhere would have prevented these accidents.

The discipline necessary to avoid NDs is something it takes much more than a week to produce.

The question is: How to people with this level of trigger discipline make it into that unit in the first place?

Not cop bashing, just commenting on what appears to be a very poor selection process.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:03:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 8:05:00 AM EDT by runcible]
"When people get in trouble, they call the police. When the police get in trouble, they call ESU."

Maybe if they didn't spend so much time racing the FD to car accidents, they'd know how to handle their weapons better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:04:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 8:06:45 AM EDT by runcible]
Originally Posted By parabellum_9x19:
The question is: How to people with this level of trigger discipline make it into that unit in the first place?
Not cop bashing, just commenting on what appears to be a very poor selection process.

It's called a "hook".

Next question?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:08:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 8:10:45 AM EDT by lostnswv]
Since when did light switches get that complicated? That is at least the third incident that we have seen recently and I am beginning to think that is another BULLSHIT EXCUSE for people who are running around with their finger on the trigger and are trying to explain their way out of cock-up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:12:29 AM EDT
I really thought it would have been more. A lot more.

What are the numbers for NYPD beat cops?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:12:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By parabellum_9x19:
Somehow I doubt that a week of shooting anywhere would have prevented these accidents.

The discipline necessary to avoid NDs is something it takes much more than a week to produce.

no you are on the money - no excuse for any ND, and the story even further mentions this is only a small % of the NYPD's ND

all LEO should be capable of trigger control, you posses a firearm KNOW HOW TO USE IT - even more so for a specialized unit

Bloomberg cant keep his snow, trash, or bullets off the streets............

imho its the lack of quality and experience - from what I have heard the legit guys have gotten out or on the way out and the rookies are being promoted faster than they should be and are not gaining the experience they need

also not bashing just facts / things that are overheard at the shop / range
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:12:34 AM EDT
ESU isn't professhunal enuff to carry Glock fortays?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:13:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DirectAction:
NYPD's ESU are the best of the BEST.

Unfortunately, accidents do occur....Glad to see that they haven't happened to others - but they happen nonetheless. The importent thing is that they were not "covered up," they were fully investigated and I assume measures were taken to negate this from happening again.

I'd go through a door - and have! - with them anyday!

From what I've heard, there was quite the concerted effort to cover them up.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:20:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:20:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 8:20:55 AM EDT by John_Wayne777]
Article already posted, you duped it, you duped it...(reference: 3rd Base "Pop Goes the Weasel")
Top Top