Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/19/2003 4:49:07 AM EDT
What am I to expect down life's road, getting old sucks but it beats the hell out of the alternative!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:01:49 AM EDT
I was told my number was 350 during routine blood work a few months ago. 12 hour fast was still at 250. I was called 'insulin resistant'. I make it, my body doesnt use it. They sent me to a 3 day diabetes class and put me on a pill twice a day. I cut out Coca-Cola & sweets, additional exercise and it made a helluva difference. 40 days into it I had lost 40 lbs (that I shouldnt have had in the first place), 90 days into it and I really dont need the meds. My number stays around 90 (100-140 recommended before meals), in fact, when I take my meds and dont eat, I get the shakes, and my number goes to around 50 (read crash). Unless your body is not making it, there is a chance behavior modification can alter this deal. If I understand correctly, you will always be susceptable, but it can be controlled.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:08:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By CavVet: 40 days into it I had lost 40 lbs
View Quote
That is amazing!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:45:37 AM EDT
No shit! typo. 60 days, 40 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:53:08 AM EDT
Thanks for the info Cav Vet, it does not seem as bad now as I had envisioned.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:23:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:53:59 AM EDT
full-clip: I don’t know if that automatically means diabetes, but if it does [b]please[/b] take it seriously!!! A friend was diagnosed with diabetes maybe twenty years ago and pretty much ignored it – no exercise, stayed overweight, etc. It’s caught up with him with a vengeance. He’s now legally blind and both his kidneys have failed. Luckily, he was able to get a kidney transplant - but that doesn’t make you whole, he has to take an incredible regimen of medication because of the transplant. Further, his legs are totally numb which makes walking a real challenge since he can’t feel the ground and has trouble seeing it. He’s also had bypass surgery in one of his legs since he was in danger of losing it. Further, he had a blood clot in one of his legs and has to take medication to prevent more clots. His medical bills are substantial - and of course he can’t really hold down a job anymore. Luckily, he made it to retirement age before being totally overcome with these problems. Unluckily, he’s not in much of a position to really enjoy his retirement. Diabetes is a devastating disease [b]if[/b] you don’t take care of yourself. If this is what you’ve got, please learn from the mistakes of others and take it seriously. Really and truly wish you the best of luck!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:14:56 AM EDT
resting blood sugar of 250 IS TYPE II diabetes. period. TXL and i ignore mine too... gotta change that
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:24:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 199: full-clip: I don’t know if that automatically means diabetes, but if it does [b]please[/b] take it seriously!!! A friend was diagnosed with diabetes maybe twenty years ago and pretty much ignored it – no exercise, stayed overweight, etc. It’s caught up with him with a vengeance. He’s now legally blind and both his kidneys have failed. Luckily, he was able to get a kidney transplant - but that doesn’t make you whole, he has to take an incredible regimen of medication because of the transplant. Further, his legs are totally numb which makes walking a real challenge since he can’t feel the ground and has trouble seeing it. He’s also had bypass surgery in one of his legs since he was in danger of losing it. Further, he had a blood clot in one of his legs and has to take medication to prevent more clots. His medical bills are substantial - and of course he can’t really hold down a job anymore. Luckily, he made it to retirement age before being totally overcome with these problems. Unluckily, he’s not in much of a position to really enjoy his retirement. Diabetes is a devastating disease [b]if[/b] you don’t take care of yourself. If this is what you’ve got, please learn from the mistakes of others and take it seriously. Really and truly wish you the best of luck!!
View Quote
That pretty much somes it up other than the potential for developing gangrene in the extremities due to poor blood flow and infection. You never get rid of Diabetes, you control it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:45:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:05:18 PM EDT
If you want to keep being able to have sex you'd better take those pills. High blood sugar kills nerve cells, like the ones that let you have an erection. And they don't grow back either. BG was >500 (Meter only read up to 500!) BG is <200 When I avoid chocolate shakes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:34:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:14:14 AM EDT
Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement. I plan to attack this like everything else, head on. And Jarhead, Semper Fi, USMC Retired.
Top Top