Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 4:16:21 AM EDT
I acquired a new Ideal #61-774 1000a ac/dc clamp meter yesterday.
Linky loo

My question is this. It is new and before I open it do I want to sell it or keep it?
The reason for asking is this. I have a smaller version that does just fine. While I do electrical work ( rough-ins, minor diagnostic and run some new services ) it seems to me that this piece of equipment will just sit around. It seems to me that it would be better suited for someone who works on electrical services on a larger scale.
I got it for 200.00 ( exchanged for the work on building their booth for a show )which is about 100.00 under retail from a Ideal rep. Good deal, but not if there is no need for it. What do you think?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:19:47 AM EDT
[#1]
it's an "extra".
i would keep it in case your go to meter breaks on the job.
then you have a backup vs. taking off to go to the store and get a new one.

or you can sell it and upgrade your gear.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:41:01 AM EDT
[#2]
To be honest I have three meters as it is. I just took that from them because of the good deal. I guess it is only a good deal if you need it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Sell the smaller unit, the bigger one will read less amps but the little one cant read more amps.....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Very true.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd sell it and get a"Fluke"  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:14:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea Fluke meters are all I own. But Idael makes a hell of a competitive product I couldnt say no.
I guess I will try to sell it. Maybe I will post it in the EE.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Fluke makes some sweet meters.  I use one almost daily (for electronic work).

Their o'scopes suck ass tho.  We had one here, and finally got rid of it and got a portable TekTronix instead.  That thing is cool (although kind of spendy).

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I do like the Fluke meters. But these Ideal meters seem to be pretty good  themselves. This new one has a pretty cool feature. It has a second LCD screen on the bottom end so you can read the readings in tight places. Pretty neat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top