Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 11:57:30 AM EST
Actually, no, I did that thread last year.

Tell me about locators for finding buried utilities. It's occurred to me that I may need to buy a locator at some point for my business, because I very frequently have to call in locates, and it slows me down enough that I could almost justify my own equipment. What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:59:46 AM EST
Depth charges.

If sparks come out, it's a buried electrical line

If big mushrooms clouds of fire erupt, prolly gas

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:20:42 PM EST
Tease
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:21:32 PM EST
An excavator. 50% of the time, it works 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:25:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By BustinCaps:

+1

It's what our guys use after the idjits paint marks all over and proclaim the area is good to dig.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:25:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 12:28:23 PM EST by DRhodes]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:25:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 12:26:29 PM EST by DRhodes]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:26:31 PM EST
Originally Posted By DRhodes:
I don't have to be ane ngineer to tell you that dowsing is absolute bullshit.

Don't have tor ead the thread either, apparently.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:27:02 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:27:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By badfish274:
Originally Posted By DRhodes:
I don't have to be ane ngineer to tell you that dowsing is absolute bullshit.

Don't have tor ead the thread either, apparently.

Whoops
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:28:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Herc:

+1

It's what our guys use after the idjits paint marks all over and proclaim the area is good to dig.

Actual conversation from this morning:

Me: 'Hey, shouldn't the primary actually go over to this transformer?'

EE: 'Ugh! Yes. Hold on. Ignore that last paint'.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:29:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/30/2011 12:35:29 PM EST by rpd_fire]

A Dynatell 2250 is what we use in our neck of the woods. New complete out fit is about $3800. Used certified for about $2000

Others use Sub-site or Ditch Witch

There are locators for cheaper

The above equipment has a transmitter and a receiver. No GPR

Web site for cable locators
Cable Vine
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:30:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By brass:
inductive coil pickup, like a metal detector, but without the transmitter, and a lot bigger. Or they use an injector at the pole to follow the frequency with the receiver, which looks like a metal detector.

The better "locators" have Ground Penetrating Radar, which map out everything in one go.

Neither system is "cheap", or even in the class of "affordable for occasional use". $10k and up for GPR sets that can do 3D mapping.

$10k isn't economical right now. At the rate I'm going, I could justify $2-3K, maybe more, but I don't think I'll use one enough to justify $10k.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:31:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

+1

It's funny, yet sad at the same time. We only get stuff marked to avoid liability should we hit something. We still behave cautiously regardless of marking in "high traffic" areas. (Between house and street, along right-of-way, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:35:01 PM EST
I know it sounds like BS, and I will prob. get slammed here for saying it, make dowsing rods from #12 solid copper wire. It WILL work by the EMP it puts off underground
I have done this several times, and EVERY place I got movement, I marked, and when we began to dig every spot had something within 1-2 feet. {water pipe, 500twisted pair phone, ect}
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:39:14 PM EST
I am now getting a tingly sensation from this thread that i just can't explain...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:41:43 PM EST

+1

It's funny, yet sad at the same time. We only get stuff marked to avoid liability should we hit something. We still behave cautiously regardless of marking in "high traffic" areas. (Between house and street, along right-of-way, etc.)

What's really funny is when they go out to a really old underground area and find - for the first time in decades - that the contractor didn't even install all the transformers or junction boxes they were supposed to.

As drawn =/= As built.

A couple of years ago, I did some mapping work, the EE called me worried because I wasn't showing transformers on property lines, where they were supposed to be. After much ado, including several revisits to the area, we figured out that the entire subdivision was never drawn or mapped beyond the as-drawn stage. EVERYTHING was wrong. Contractor just sent a copy of the as-drawns over instead of submitting a final construction as-built.

This is even funnier, of course, when the neigborhood is old enough that everyone has fenced in their yard, grown shrubs around their transformer, planted trees on the buried primary, paved over the junction boxes, and so on.

Overhead utilities, for the win.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:44:21 PM EST

Tell me about locators for finding buried utilities. It's occurred to me that I may need to buy a locator at some point for my business, because I very frequently have to call in locates, and it slows me down enough that I could almost justify my own equipment. What do you recommend?

I recommend letting the utilities locate their lines. They get it wrong from time to time and when they do, the cost of repairs is on their dime. notsomuch if YOU locate! Besides there's trespassing issues like how are you legally going to open one of their vaults to attach to their cables so you CAN locate? And you don't have maps, either.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:45:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:47:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By WindKnot1-1:

I recommend letting the utilities locate their lines. They get it wrong from time to time and when they do, the cost of repairs is on their dime. notsomuch if YOU locate!

I'd be locating for the utility, and strictly for internal purposes that do not include actual digging.

Besides there's trespassing issues like how are you legally going to open one of their vaults to attach to their cables so you CAN locate?

If I'm working for them, that's not an issue anyway.

And you don't have maps, either.

Neither do they, which is where I come in.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:49:08 PM EST
I work in the excavation business. Use your states one call for locates. You will be on the hook if you hit someones utility if you just used your own locate equipment. We do have a ditch witch locator. We use that to verify the utilities locates, as well as locating private utilities.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:51:46 PM EST
Well, damn. I was going to start a thread along the lines of "Arfcom chemists, tell me about phlogiston theory".
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:52:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:57:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 12:59:32 PM EST
I am now getting a tingly sensation from this thread that i just can't explain...

Same here, I found this thread with dowsing rods. Here's my mouse looking over GD list:

http://fangamers.net/brass/arfcom-dowser-1m.png

And as soon as the cursor hovered NEAR the title of this thread, I was AMAZED!

http://fangamers.net/brass/arfcom-dowser-2m.png

That tingle is now a full burn passing through my leg! Dowsing be praised!

IN BEFORE GOOGLE SUPPRESSES THIS!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:02:16 PM EST

Bam!

Locators are for people that can't run equipment.

Plus, what better way to get your neighborhood on board with prepping than killing their power occasionally?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:04:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By Skg_Mre_Lght:

Bam!

Locators are for people that can't run equipment.

Plus, what better way to get your neighborhood on board with prepping than killing their power occasionally?

I found trimming my bushes naked with a bottle of Jack gets them on board with self-defense aspects. This new idea will help me bring them on for power. What about food storage?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:08:35 PM EST
How deep do you need it to go?

I use a Tempo tracer 2 to locate shallow lines for repair. Sometimes I have to locate phone and cable lines with it when the "locators" don't do their job.

Here's one

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:12:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By elevenbangbang:

I use a Tempo tracer 2 to locate shallow lines for repair. Sometimes I have to locate phone and cable lines with it when the "locators" don't do their job.

Here's one

I need to be able to go 10' or so. I have no idea why they bury primary 10' deep, but it's common here. Saw some at 8' this morning.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:15:58 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:18:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Same here, I found this thread with dowsing rods. Here's my mouse looking over GD list:

http://fangamers.net/brass/arfcom-dowser-1m.png

And as soon as the cursor hovered NEAR the title of this thread, I was AMAZED!

http://fangamers.net/brass/arfcom-dowser-2m.png

That tingle is now a full burn passing through my leg! Dowsing be praised!

IN BEFORE GOOGLE SUPPRESSES THIS!!!!!

Haters... you probably vaccinate too.

Never. Vaccines are a plot to insert mind readers so Bush and Obama can play us like video games. If you've been vaccinated, i'd recommend Faraday clothing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:24:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By hightech_redneck:
I know it sounds like BS, and I will prob. get slammed here for saying it, make dowsing rods from #12 solid copper wire. It WILL work by the EMP it puts off underground
I have done this several times, and EVERY place I got movement, I marked, and when we began to dig every spot had something within 1-2 feet. {water pipe, 500twisted pair phone, ect}

Here you go win a million dollars LINK just give me 10% for a finders fee
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:26:20 PM EST
Um, so, any more locator suggestions?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:13:56 PM EST

Here's one

I need to be able to go 10' or so. I have no idea why they bury primary 10' deep, but it's common here. Saw some at 8' this morning.

Directional drilling is quickly becoming the enemy of us excavators. It used to be you knew all your phone, fiber, electric, and gas were within 4 feet of the surface. Now the directional guys have changed that game, and aim as deep as they feel. FWIW, i have seen 13 feet deep on primary.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:51:03 PM EST
Originally Posted By JDavis21835:

Here's one

Directional drilling is quickly becoming the enemy of us excavators. It used to be you knew all your phone, fiber, electric, and gas were within 4 feet of the surface. Now the directional guys have changed that game, and aim as deep as they feel. FWIW, i have seen 13 feet deep on primary.

I have a friend who bores for a living. Says depth isn't an issue. I'm pretty sure he's never had to dig anything up, though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:36:02 PM EST
I've seen primary at 18ft. A fiber hit at 15ft and know of 3 fibers that are 30+ft deep.
Top Top