Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:17:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT by packnru]
I'm lost here.

Two weeks ago, my receptacles worked in the garage. Now, I'm getting an open neutral from the receptacles.

It's weird. It is not blowing fuses. First, I unplugged everything. I then plugged in the radio. It worked. I then plugged in the refrigerator in (same outlet) and the radio quit. I checked the receptacles starting from the panel. The first one checked OK. Then the second on checked OK. The third one checked open neutral. Then I checked the first two and now I'm getting open neutral.

I'd like to fix this myself. Any clues?

Thanks.

Update: Thanks thebrain. I took off the cover to the good (closet to the panel) receptacle and the ground wire was touching the hot wire. Not sure how that happened, but it is fixed now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:39:57 AM EDT
First turn the power off to that circuit.

Then go to the first receptacle on that circuit that showed open neutral. Remove the cover plate and take the receptacle out of the box. My first guess would be that you have stab in type receptacle. These are receptacle designed with a hole in their back that a striped wire is inserted to make the connection. And a wire has worked its way out or broken off. If that is not the case the wire nut used to connect all the neutrals in that box together came loss or pushed out a wire. In any case you should be able to identify the problem with a little wiggling of wires. If you do not find the problem in the first box you open, move one receptacle back up the circuit (towards the panel). And preform the same checks.

If this circuit is GFCI protected, a bad or worn out GFCI receptacle could also cause the problem and would be a good guess. If this was the case all receptacles beyond the GFCI would shoe open neutral.

If you do not have a friend that is an electrician now would be a good time to make one.
Top Top