Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2016 9:48:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2016 11:08:12 PM EST by ClassicLugeMick]
Not sure if it has been posted here yet or not, but the NTSB released the transcript of the Voyage Data Recorder with the final 2 hours.

Transcript

Edit for more information.

SS El Faro was a US Flagged cargo ship that lost propulsion and sank during Hurricane Joaquin in Sept. of 2015. All hands were lost when the vessel sank.

El Faro Wiki
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:50:49 PM EST
Tough read.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:51:41 PM EST
I don't recall hearing that the data recorder was recovered. Or I forgot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:52:54 PM EST
510 pages. Can we get a summary? Besides they screwed up royally.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:57:31 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
View Quote

I am still pouring through it, but it appears they began to take on water and set up pumps. Then they lost propulsion due to the list angle and possibly had a rupture of a fire main due to floating cargo. They couldn't get the engine running again and they abandoned ship, but the last few seconds show the Captain still in the bridge trying to help another sailor get out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:25:38 PM EST
Just skimming that gave me the creeps. That read like a movie script. The last three pages are hard to get through.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:25:42 PM EST
the very last couple of minutes sounded like the helmsman knew it was over.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:32:44 PM EST
If they abandoned ship, why did no one survive? Did they have small boats that would survive a storm? I just assumed that the ship broke up and they all went down with the ship into 15,000 feet of water.

The voice recorder was recovered this past August.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:38:59 PM EST
Could we get some context, what exactly is this?
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:41:51 PM EST
If they abandoned ship, why did no one survive? Did they have small boats that would survive a storm? I just assumed that the ship broke up and they all went down with the ship into 15,000 feet of water.

View Quote

IIRC the weather was terrible while this was going on and the likelihood of anyone making it actually to a lifeboat was slim. I think they did find an empty boat of some sort from the El Faro drifting while searching for survivors.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:44:12 PM EST
Originally Posted By JBski:
View Quote

A large cargo ship sailed into a hurricane/tropical storm east of the Bahamas and eventually sank.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:44:41 PM EST
View Quote

El Faro was a cargo ship that sank during Hurricane Joaquin in September of last year. I do believe they were caught in 30ft seas with 125 mph winds with no propulsion and taking water. No survivors.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 10:55:03 PM EST
View Quote

There is no they. One person did the screw up.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:01:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By rufusrufgut:

View Quote

Maybe, but as I understand, there were concerns about the loading, the boiler and the cargo doors.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:01:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By ClassicLugeMick:
Not sure if it has been posted here yet or not, but the NTSB released the transcript of the Voyage Data Recorder with the final 2 hours.

Transcript
View Quote

OP can I ask you an honest question? You have been here for 8 years now. Why in Gods name would you post such an informative, insightful post with so much background information in it for the ease of all readers being able to follow in the wondermousness of the story you are trying to tell?

sarcasm generator off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:09:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
OP can I ask you an honest question? You have been here for 8 years now. Why in Gods name would you post such an informative, insightful post with so much background information in it for the ease of all readers being able to follow in the wondermousness of the story you are trying to tell?

sarcasm generator off.
View Quote

Added more information. My apologies!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:13:37 PM EST

View Quote

That ship is old. All they had were open boat lifeboats and some inflatable life rafts. It was reported that there were 50+ ft seas/swell and the ship was listing at least 15 degrees. Only one lifeboat would have been able to launch but no lifeboat is designed to be launched in the kind of storm they were in. It is just impossible and survive.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:16:34 PM EST

sarcasm generator off.
View Quote

Meh, I knew exactly what he was posting but I had seen a news report saying it had been released. Cut him some slack.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:17:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By shaggy:

Maybe, but as I understand, there were concerns about the loading, the boiler and the cargo doors.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shaggy:

No maybe about it. All the issues that ship had were well known before sailing and the captain chose to do so anyway. He didn't have too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:20:49 PM EST
The last few pages are tough to read . when they lost the engines they were done
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:30:09 PM EST
Sounds like they never had any flotation vests or much of any survival equipment made available until the attempt after they saw containers in the water and realized the bow was under. Any slim chance they had was gone right there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:30:37 PM EST
Shit that was tough to read.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:31:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/13/2016 11:34:35 PM EST by AmericanPeople]

That ship is old. All they had were open boat lifeboats and some inflatable life rafts. It was reported that there were 50+ ft seas/swell and the ship was listing at least 15 degrees. Only one lifeboat would have been able to launch but no lifeboat is designed to be launched in the kind of storm they were in. It is just impossible and survive.
View All Quotes

I have seen lifeboats that look 100% covered. Perhaps on cruise ships. Would those survive in 35-50 foot seas (hurricane)?

I will look for a picture of them. Of course this assumes that they are deployable in those conditions which may not be the case.

I am a land guy so I am not well informed on these issues.

Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:34:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:45:35 PM EST

I have seen lifeboats that look 100% covered. Perhaps on cruise ships. Would those survive in 35-50 foot seas (hurricane)?

I will look for a picture of them. Of course this assumes that they are deployable in those conditions which may not be the case.

https://mycruisestories.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/safety-lifeboat-outside.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgkKub4Js0
View Quote

An enclosed lifeboat would be a lot better for sure and they are designed to stay afloat under bad conditions but launching in the kind of seas they had would be extremely difficult at best. Lifeboats just aren't designed to be launched in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:08:12 AM EST
Anyone that did not drown in the first few hours of the sinking, did not survive the Oceanic White Tips without being in a raft. Therefore no survivors. I was on San Sal 6 months after. The entire East coast of the island was littered with debris and cargo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:15:44 AM EST

sarcasm generator off.
View Quote

I knew exactly what it was and was very happy to see it posted since I had forgotten to follow up on their progress. Not every OP is gonna be a stand alone story.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:19:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2016 12:19:43 AM EST by Mal_means_bad]
View Quote

Man that's creepy.  No marine growth yet and nearly crystal clear water, almost looks like it's still afloat and manned for a moment here and there.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:25:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By USMMA_11:
Shit that was tough to read.

View Quote

Yes it was.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:26:52 AM EST

https://mycruisestories.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/safety-lifeboat-outside.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgkKub4Js0
View Quote

The El Faro had open, free fall style, life boats that were 90 from the ships normal waterline. They were probably smashed to bits before they abandoned ship.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:32:03 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:40:58 AM EST
Wow, what a shit show. The US flagged shipping companies like Totem or Matson are fucking terrible. I'm not surprised that hasn't been a Matson sink in the Pacific.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:41:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By robeans:
Wow, what a shit show. The US flagged shipping companies like Totem or Matson are fucking terrible. I'm surprised that hasn't been a Matson sink in the Pacific.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:04:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By robeans:
Wow, what a shit show. The US flagged shipping companies like Totem or Matson are fucking terrible. I'm not surprised that hasn't been a Matson sink in the Pacific.
View Quote

Matson and Tote are both replacing tonnage. Tote has 2 brand new LNG power ro/con ships on the PR run now (the El Faro was a few months away from being replaced) and Matson has a new ship being built now as well as the 3rd Jones Act liner company, Pasha, that services Hawaii and AK.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:00:30 AM EST

Added more information. My apologies!
View Quote

Accepted, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:09:53 AM EST
Thank you.
I remember the Oct. 2015 thread here. I read/watched the entire thing, there was alot of insight in that thread.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1793515_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----U-S--Flagged-container-ship-SS-El-Faro-lost-at-sea-east-of-the-Bahamas--Presumed-sunk-.html&page=1
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:16:45 AM EST
Boat was a known junk pit. Captain sailed anyway much like the dumbass that sailed the movie prop into Katrina

I knew exactly what the OP posted. No reason to bitch to the OP. Google is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:03:35 AM EST
I've worked on the air conditioning on that ship and it's sister ship the El Yankee.They make regular runs between Jacksonville Florida and Puerto Rico and I would go on them while they were in Jaxport for the day.They are very old ships.The ac was held together with duct tape and bailing wire.I imagine the engines weren't any different.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:06:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By GreyGhost:
I've worked on the air conditioning on that ship and it's sister ship the El Yankee.They make regular runs between Jacksonville Florida and Puerto Rico and I would go on them while they were in Jaxport for the day.They are very old ships.The ac was held together with duct tape and bailing wire.I imagine the engines weren't any different.
View Quote

My uncle was one of those Poles (merchant marines) they'd hire to operate those things a few years back.

The ships were pieces of floating shit over a decade ago. Can't imagine what shape they are in today
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:34:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:41:29 AM EST
The Captain screw the pooch. They never should have sail into that shitstorm in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:15:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:
Tough read.
View Quote

Yeah. Just finished. The end sent chills down my spine.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:22:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/14/2016 4:22:57 PM EST by HDLS]
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
The Captain screw the pooch. They never should have sail into that shitstorm in the first place.
View Quote

Early in the transcript when the captain was off the bridge they were talking about him not wanting to turn back and instead just changing course to try to skirt the edge to save face on his decision to sail.

Several times their fate was predicted when they were talking hours earlier.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:28:47 PM EST

An enclosed lifeboat would be a lot better for sure and they are designed to stay afloat under bad conditions but launching in the kind of seas they had would be extremely difficult at best. Lifeboats just aren't designed to be launched in a hurricane.
View Quote

I think something like this could have been launched and survived. It is rated for a 47 meter drop.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 4:55:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By bob1946:

I think something like this could have been launched and survived. It is rated for a 47 meter drop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgkvLSRQPOc
View Quote

Very interesting
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:05:58 PM EST

View All Quotes

You may be right. Newer ships have those type of lifeboats. They may have survived if they all got in and got it launched. On a side note I have not seen an enclosed lifeboat that would hold 30 people on that type of ship (El Faro). Also it would be hell riding in that thing for 2 days under hurricane conditions but at least they would be alive.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:07:41 PM EST

El Faro was a cargo ship that sank during Hurricane Joaquin in September of last year. I do believe they were caught in 30ft seas with 125 mph winds with no propulsion and taking water. No survivors.
View All Quotes

Damn, that's rough.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 5:09:54 PM EST
I was talking to a MM buddy about the lifeboat situation, his guess was that freefall boats MAY have worked, but that they carry a lot of risks all their own, namely securing the boat, any contents, and the passengers for the ride. He was fairly confident that the boat would survive the storm provided it released properly, but "the inside of that thing would be a foot deep in puke and tears by the time they rescued them."

Here's a short drop test:

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:10:43 PM EST
Just spent the last 2 hours reading the entire thing.

3M's convo during his watch was horrific to read knowing what happens

Link Posted: 12/15/2016 8:14:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2016 8:15:46 AM EST by USMMA_11]

You may be right. Newer ships have those type of lifeboats. They may have survived if they all got in and got it launched. On a side note I have not seen an enclosed lifeboat that would hold 30 people on that type of ship (El Faro). Also it would be hell riding in that thing for 2 days under hurricane conditions but at least they would be alive.
View Quote

It would require modifications to be made in order to have a stern launched enclosed lifeboat on those vessels. I sailed on a tanker which had one, I rode it down when it was time to test the lifeboat, it's a much easier launch when compared to the traditional davit-launched lifeboats (either open or enclosed... I have some experience with both).
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 1:04:46 PM EST
Thanks OP scary read.

Saw on news yesterday where transcript had been released and figured someone here would post it.

Seems Captian tried to skirt the storm and it changed course just enough to land on top of him.  

Captian didn't seem very concerned until very end.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top