Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 6:44:55 PM EDT
So a while back my grandpa passsed away. He left us a few things and one of them was an 89 Cadillac El Dorado. ITs nice. Or was. Or is going to be. Currently it has red leather Upholstery and accents. Wood panel Trim. Power everything. A driver info computer and gives me bat life tire pressure, mpg,etc. It comes from illinois. its been sittin out a while. Today all i did was replace the battery and fix the driver side door that wouldnt go down all the way and would get stuck. also i have a pic of a huge green bug.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, never heard the word restore associated with a car that rolled off the line in '89.

Shit I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
An '89, don't waste your money, just leave it as is..fix what needs fixing, that can be fixed cheap.

GM in the 80's were nightmares, especially Cadillacs. Poor electronics and very expensive to fix..

If the engine wasn't maintained the sleeves are usually leaking coolant into the crankcase.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Its my first time trying anything major on a car. I had to tow/push it up a hill into the garage where it is now. A new battery fixed the power problem. The starter works, it gettin fuel, but wont start. It hasnt had an oil change so maybe siezed? im not a car guy so im startin with nothin. The only reason im even messin with it is because its got sentimental value.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd yank the plugs, put it in neutral and see if you can turn the crank by hand. If not take off all the belts and try again. If its seized you can try a lubricant down the plug holes but if its anything major that car is going to be a nightmare to work on. I loved my Grandmom's ElDo. Too bad they are front wheel drive.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd yank the plugs, put it in neutral and see if you can turn the crank by hand. If not take off all the belts and try again. If its seized you can try a lubricant down the plug holes but if its anything major that car is going to be a nightmare to work on. I loved my Grandmom's ElDo. Too bad they are front wheel drive.

Its running now. After i used your advise. I also changed the oil. Its black and clumpy. I added some of that fuel system cleaner from walmart. Shes purrin now but the a/c smells like ass. I febreezed the whole thing. I was thinkin about sprayin some of that new car smell stuff into wherever the air comes in for the cab. I also picked up one of those manuals for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad it turned over for you. It may have an a/c filter you can replace in the dash. Usually underneath by the passengers side or behind the glove box. If the a/c works, count your lucky stars. Probably want to flush the tranny fluid if you plan on driving it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The DIC says That the A/C coolant is low. And i dont know where that manual is but i did not see any sort of filter underneath the dash.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#8]
That car more than likely uses R-12 Freon which is hard to find and real expensive. It can be converted over to the newer R-134a which even WalMart sells to customers, but it involves new seals, getting 100% of the old stuff out and new PAG oil. It basically requires a vacuum machine to get all the old stuff out. It may not have a filter but if it stinks bad there has to be some sort of media holding the dirt/mold in one place. Glove box should flip all the way out, pull the bottom of the tray inside past its stop points.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top