Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 7:00:16 PM EDT
One of the two canidates running for Sheriff of El Dorado County, CA is Larry Hennick. Here is a statement on his web site about his position on CCW.

[i]CCW / License to Carry Concealed Pistol, Revolver, or Other Firearm within the State of California. In California, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon without a California Concealed Weapons License. In El Dorado County, it is the Sheriff's Department who has the jurisdictional authority over such licenses. Just as there are a wide variety of Sheriffs throughout California, there are a wide variety of feelings about this very important issue.

I've dedicated my life to crime prevention and protecting the public. I believe in proactive law enforcement and the rights of self protection. The Second Amendment guarantees our right to keep and bear arms. With education and training, shooting can be an enjoyable sport and effective tool for protection. The mere presence of a weapon can be a strong deterrent to crime and violence. However, we must be well trained and informed on the weapon's purpose and handling. Being educated about your weapon promotes safe firearm ownership. Citizens who believe they have a need for a concealed weapons license have a right to apply for one. Once completing the necessary background checks, mandated educational requirements and interview any citizen of good standing living within El Dorado County should be able to obtain a license.

To protect and serve the public is my main objective, and I will address all issues based upon that commitment.[/i]

I have sent an email to both candidates about the CCW issue and will post their replies if/when I receive them.

Larry Hennick
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Surprise, surprise! Mr Hennick just called me at home. He had received my email and wanted to speak with me personally. Here is the text of what I sent him:

A question that was submitted but not asked at the town hall forum concerned the issuance of CCW permits. This is an issue that is very
important to a large number of people, myself included. There have been several studies done that show in the states with "shall issue" CCW laws that crime in general and violent crime in particular has gone down. The state of California has set some pretty strict guidelines for what constitutes "good cause" to be issued a permit. I, and other like minded people, believe that those guidelines exclude a vast number of people from being eligible to for a CCW permit. Some county Sheriffs in California agree with our view and are issuing CCW permits to regular
citizens who take and pass an approved class, pass a back ground check and are not otherwise prohibited from owning a firearm, but do not fall into one of the states "good cause" categories. I personally believe that a law abiding citizens have the right to be able to protect themselves and their families even when they are not within the confines of their home by carrying a firearm. Because a random act of violence is just that, random, and one cannot expect it to happen only when they are at home. So my question to you is this. If I, as a law abiding citizen, pass an approved CCW class, pass the back ground check and I am not
prohibited from owning a firearm, put on the CCW application that my reason for wanting one is simply the desire to be able to protect myself
and my family and excercise my God given right to life and liberty, would you approve a CCW permit. If not, why not. I would also like to
know your opinion of private firearms ownership in general for law abiding citizens, regardless of their reason for owning them. I look forward to your reply.

sincerely
Robert Thomas

We talked for about 1-1/2 hours. Mr Hennick was very unequivocal in his views on CCW. He believes very strongly in the RKBA and a persons right to protect themselves, and is very pro-gun. A life long gun owner, hunter and competitor. He stated that anyone who fullfills the class and background check requirements and is not prohibited from owning firearms would be able to obtain a CCW. He did not make any disclaimers and was in agreement with the CCW policies of several other SO in CA's rural counties. I sure hope this guy wins.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Why do you think home sales are still booming in Eldo County? I know a few guys who moved there from the Bay Area in 1999-2000 and haven't looked back. But we have better weather. he he
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
PLEASE  PLEASE let this guy win!!!!  It would be so easy for me to be living in Eldorado County!!!

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top